Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What am I doing wrong? 2023 base CX-5 MRCC erratic

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 01:55 PM
Default What am I doing wrong? 2023 base CX-5 MRCC erratic

Hello all, new to the forum today. I have had 2 Mazdas in the past (1990 323 hatchback and 2009 Miata Sport) and just bought my 3rd one - a red CX-5 2.5S base model with no options (but very well equipped). All of the Mazdas I have owned have been base models and have been great to me (my 323 didn’t even have a radio!). Anyway I obviously am still getting used to the car (picked it up Monday night) but the biggest concern right now is that the adaptive cruise control (I think they call it MRCC) seemed to operate very erratically. It is easy to turn on and set speed and all is well usually but I have noticed it disengage itself for no apparent reason multiple times, the speed adaptation when approaching a car does not always work, and it never ever slows more than a few mph. Several times as I came up on a slower car it got close enough to sound the 3 beep signal that an object ahead was too close. YouTube videos show the car slowing to a stop behind another car and then starting back up once the car ahead starts moving; mine will never do that. I realize that mine is a base model but Mazda doesn’t indicate anywhere that the version of MRCC is somehow limited. I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but what? Any ideas?

Last edited by grim_reaper; 06-29-2023 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:36 AM

?????

Old 06-29-2023, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
?????
internet research indicates that the random shutoffs may be due to a bad brake switch, but what about the other issues? I guess I will have to take my brand new car in to the dealer for diagnostics. Unfortunately I had a bad experience purchasing the car and don’t want to return to that dealership ever again.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:00 AM

Depends on which control buttons are on your steering wheel.
The first one does not have MRCC stop & go.
What am I doing wrong? 2023 base CX-5 MRCC erratic-05100101-kfusa01-001.png

If your Mazda has the following steering switch, your Mazda is equipped with the Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function) system. Refer to Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function)

What am I doing wrong? 2023 base CX-5 MRCC erratic-05282603-glusa02-001.png

Old 06-29-2023, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Depends on which control buttons are on your steering wheel.
The first one does not have MRCC stop & go.
Attachment 8858

If your Mazda has the following steering switch, your Mazda is equipped with the Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function) system. Refer to Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function)

Attachment 8859

Old 06-29-2023, 11:03 AM

You may need to adjust your vehicle distance spacing switch if you are getting the 3-beep warning.
If you are doing everything the following video instructs and it is still not working, then you should take it to a Mazda dealer as it is under warranty.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:41 AM

You may need to adjust your vehicle distance spacing switch if you are getting the 3-beep warning.
If you are doing everything the following video instructs and it is still not working, then you should take it to a Mazda dealer as it is under warranty.
HOW TO: Use Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) - Park Mazda - YouTube
Thanks I’ll do more experimentation.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dannyw
Thanks I’ll do more experimentation.
Well it does work mostly but just not very well, certainly not well enough to rely on when auto braking for slower cars, and not anything like what is shown in the videos. I will take it in to have it looked at soon.

Old 06-29-2023, 06:30 PM

You also need to make sure your radar is clear; it is in the Mazda badge on the front grill.
It's just like the safety monitor in front of the rear-view mirror, if the areas are dirty enough (snow, grime, frost, mud) it will not work correctly.
I'm not certain how heavy rain effects if at all.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:12 PM

You also need to make sure your radar is clear; it is in the Mazda badge on the front grill.
It's just like the safety monitor in front of the rear-view mirror, if the areas are dirty enough (snow, grime, frost, mud) it will not work correctly.
I'm not certain how heavy rain effects if at all.
I’ll check but they detailed it just before I picked it up so unless they messed something up it should not be a problem.

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong? 2023 base CX-5 MRCC erratic