Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unused Fuel Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 07:22 PM

I never let any of my vehicles (cars/trucks/motorcycles/boat) go below 1/4 tank and have never had an issue with any of them.
In fact, in my 53 years of driving I've never run out of gas in anything I've driven, with the exception of a riding lawn mower.
On newer vehicles the fuel helps cool the higher PSI pumps and running with low fuel can reduce the pump life.
It will also increase the likelihood of sucking up more debris that can be found on the bottom of most fuel tanks.
Which in turn can clog your filters and cause a host of other issues.
It's really not that difficult to fill up when you reach a 1/4 tank.
Especially in this day and age with all the electronics available for mileage/fuel monitoring, GPS telling you where the closest gas station is.

Last edited by Lobstah; 12-10-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:35 AM

The biggest concern with running your fuel so low is the pump needs to be cooled and lubricated from the gas. That said although there is no warning, I am aware of from auto manufactures I can say many failed fuel pumps on newer vehicles we have service replacing fuel pumps were directly from owners that simply like to drive around with 1/8 or less of fuel.

It can't be that hard... fill your tank and get in the habit of looking at the fuel gauge in another way. When it gets close to 1/2 tank consider that almost empty and go fill up.
Please don t comment with stupid comments about the price of fuel and you can afford to do that. READ what I said and don't respond STUPIDLEDY!

Old 12-11-2022, 12:18 PM
Default 100% CarpeDiem

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Any issues will depend on the mileage on the vehicle (number of tank fills), where and when you get your fuel (was the station high volume/was the buried tank filled recently), and how often you run the tank down low - I assume you don’t run until the engine actually quits. The empty mark on the gauge is not zero gallons left in the tank so you may have never actually used the last few gallons. Current high pressure fuel systems are more prone to dirty fuel issues compared to vehicles from ten years ago or earlier. In addition a plugged fuel filter may very be difficult for the driver to diagnose unless he runs at WOT often.

The last few gallons are intended to be “sacrificial” to protect the fuel system. Running the tank down very low has two potential problems: sucking up dirty/wet fuel, and compromising fuel pump cooling in hot weather.
Sacrificial is the perfect word to use...here in New Zealand we use litres and kilometres, even though I was taught to never let my tank get below 1/4 due to moisture and sediment. Sediment comes from petrol stations. Heed the advice of CarpeDiem and keep your tank about 1/4 full at all times.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by GTThurston
Sacrificial is the perfect word to use...here in New Zealand we use litres and kilometres, even though I was taught to never let my tank get below 1/4 due to moisture and sediment. Sediment comes from petrol stations. Heed the advice of CarpeDiem and keep your tank about 1/4 full at all times.
The issue of debris in fuel tanks was somewhat resolved by most all auto manufactures having more than one fuel filter. The biggest problem with not servicing the fuel system filters was not the fuel pumps failing as much as with fuel injector being contaminated which would either reduce or just flat stopping the fuel injectors proper operation. Aside from extreme water content it is very difficult to clog a fuel filter and most debris sinks and rest at the bottom of the tank below the lowest pick point of the fuel pump pick up. This is why fuel filters should be serviced as per the schedule set by the auto manufacturer or sooner.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-11-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:52 AM
Default Same issue.

Originally Posted by redpoint5
I expected people to say "you're the dumb one for wanting a thing to work correctly", which is why I wanted to solicit the experience and knowledge of a dedicated forum. My expectation is that a dealership would waste several days of my time either telling me there's no problem, or throwing the wrong parts at the car because they can't understand that 13 is less than 15 (gallons).

Fuel capacities are spec'd at what they will deliver, not some larger amount that cannot be used.

My 2nd fill-up in the car, I drove 406 miles and filled 14.4 gallons and got 28 MPG. According to specs, I had 1 gallon of fuel remaining, which explains why I didn't run out. Since then there have been several occasions where I fill with more than 14 gallons, each time going past the estimated range remaining.

On 3 occasions now, the car ran out of fuel with estimated range remaining above 20 miles. One of those occasions I was showing 1/4 tank and the low fuel light wasn't on. Car died and I pulled to side of the road. It would start, run for a few seconds, then die again. I did that half a dozen times, and on the last attempt I got enough speed going to rock sharply side to side, and that allowed me to make the next fuel station 20 miles away.

I have 2 pieces of evidence suggesting I'm not getting full use of the capacity:

1. I pumped only 13 gallons into an empty tank, which should have a capacity of 15.4 gallons.
2. My fuel economy was 27 MPG on my most recent trip, and I ran out of fuel at 352 miles. 352 miles / 27 MPG = 13 gallons of fuel used.

These 2 methods of determining how much fuel was used perfectly support each other, making it highly likely I'm not getting all the fuel I'm supposed to, not that there's a gauge malfunction.

There's some chance I'm interpreting things incorrectly, but I don't think so, and am completely open to all hypothesis. Mostly I'm interested to know how fuel is collected from the tank and delivered to the engine, and a poorly detailed schematic doesn't inform my understanding well enough (which again is why I'm on the forum and not easily solving my own problem).

It's a fleet vehicle, so I have little incentive to put my own effort into this, except that I'm curious and like to solve problems. I might pop the fuel pump out and put an inspection camera in the tank to see what's going on... but I'm at 57k miles and it should be under warranty still.

EDIT: A Youtube video shows the fuel pickup tube is attached very low on the fuel pump. Perhaps this has detached and I'm only pulling fuel directly from the pump, and not from the hose that sits lower in the tank. The fuel hose in the tank isn't listed in any parts diagrams I'm finding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvtfm_3k1bI
Greetings folks. I'm new to this forum specifically because of this issue.

My wife and I purchased a soul crystal red 2018 CX-5 back in 2021 ( certified pre-owned vehicle ).

She loves the car.

It went in on a fuel pump recall campaign - summer of 2022. They replaced the pump and 4 days later she ran the car out of gas. I chalked it up as a dingbat moment, brought her gas and since then she's kept it above a half tank.

We took a trip from the Albany NY area to New Haven, CT Jan 14 to pick up a rescue dog we adopted off of transport. 303 miles later, 1/4 tank on the gauge, no light, the car bucked and choked to a halt.

Road service brought us 5 gallons of gas to the tune of $189. I've since joined AAA, since the Mazda roadside assistance is worthless in the heat of the moment.

Drove 9 miles, and put another 8 gallons in it to fill. So, yet another CX-5 is only accessing 13 gallons of a 15.4-gallon tank.

I was going to pull the fuel pump myself and inspect it but was pressed for time.

We brought it in, and they claimed to find "nothing wrong" and sent Karen home and told her to drive it until it "runs out again." Brilliant.
Then a lightbulb went off and they asked for her to come back and drive a loaner and they were going to attempt to run it out of gas themselves. So, I guess it spent a few days running laps around the dealership.
5 days later, the car was returned to us with once again, "nothing wrong."

To quote my email to the customer service rep.

I adamantly believe when the fuel pump was changed on the recall, the pickup tube was incorrectly attached, or not clamped correctly - and came off. This would explain the car not accessing the last 2.4 gallons of gas and running out with a 1/4 tank on the gauge. It was discovered when we brought it back and more than likely swept under the rug. I have been around a few hundred mechanics/techs in 43 years of trucking and probably know two of them that would admit to making a mistake unless they are caught red-handed.

We got our vehicle back with no resolution, no cause and effect, nothing.
I'm not sure where to head with this. They offered to pony up the $189 and gave her a loaner while they roared around in circles at the dealership trying to run the car out of gas.

Service managers reply.

We were unable to duplicate the concern. Unfortunately, I also can’t give you a definitive reason as to why the car ran out of gas either. Is it possible that my tech did not have the float positioned correctly? Yes, he could have had it contacting a pickup tube in the tank. There is really no way of knowing that. As a technician yourself, you would know that as you remove the pump from the tank it would reposition the float and the hose. There was no malicious intent on the part of our technician or the dealership.
I'm not sure whether or not this is a design flaw. Maybe the float for the sending unit interferes with the pickup tube or vice versa. I was pretty accusatory about the mechanic covering his *** on a mistake because I know a lot of mechanics.

I own and operate my own semi, and do 98% of my own work because of this. It doesn't make me immune to mistakes, but at least I'm aware of them.

So, I suppose the burning question is are the people having this issue also the recipients of a new fuel pump on a campaign?

Old 02-07-2023, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

I can confirm its is possible to upset or miss-position the fuel float when refitting the fuel pump assembly. I've probably replaced a hundred pumps myself as part of this recall.
If you don't insert the pump assembly back into the tank at the right rotation it is possible to cause interference of the float.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
I can confirm its is possible to upset or miss-position the fuel float when refitting the fuel pump assembly. I've probably replaced a hundred pumps myself as part of this recall.
If you don't insert the pump assembly back into the tank at the right rotation it is possible to cause interference of the float.
This is also common with a few other platforms as well. It can also change the fuel level indication on the dash as well.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:23 PM
Default Callisto has a good point

Originally Posted by Callisto
The issue of debris in fuel tanks was somewhat resolved by most all auto manufactures having more than one fuel filter. The biggest problem with not servicing the fuel system filters was not the fuel pumps failing as much as with fuel injector being contaminated which would either reduce or just flat stopping the fuel injectors proper operation. Aside from extreme water content it is very difficult to clog a fuel filter and most debris sinks and rest at the bottom of the tank below the lowest pick point of the fuel pump pick up. This is why fuel filters should be serviced as per the schedule set by the auto manufacturer or sooner.
It may be a PIA to do, but i would pull the fuel pump and take a look at the filter and pump. also look and see if there is a bunch of gunk in the bottom of the tank. And I too never run my tank under 1/4 tank. ya might want to change the pump when you have it out even if all looks good and clean anyway as long as you have it out .As I'm sure you know, you can access the fuel pump under the rear seat of the CX5 . All things considered it is an easy DIY job.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 02-07-2023 at 03:30 PM.