Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to decide what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by tryingtodecide
I think i may just try out the mazda 3s and 6s to see if getting out of an SUV helps - just for the heck of it i do not want to give up on Mazda - they seem very reliable and they look great
Have you bought a car yet? I understand your problem. I have chronic back trouble and it took a long time to find the right car. In my case I need a vehicle where I can sit up straight and I insist on good handling. The Mazda CX-5 works for me. I moved from a Audi Allroad. I could do 4 hrs in the Allroad if I had to but it hurt. I can go 10 in the Mazda CX-5 and get out grinning.

I understand that it is very personal. what works for me is not what works for you. If I was in your spot, once I had it down to a few cars I would borrow / rent them for a day and drive all day. If they won't let you do that then I would show up at the dealer with a book or a tablet with a few movies on it and spend the day in the car.

btw I learned that there is a difference in PT. A good one will teach you exercises to help your self.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fdew
Have you bought a car yet? I understand your problem. I have chronic back trouble and it took a long time to find the right car. In my case I need a vehicle where I can sit up straight and I insist on good handling. The Mazda CX-5 works for me. I moved from a Audi Allroad. I could do 4 hrs in the Allroad if I had to but it hurt. I can go 10 in the Mazda CX-5 and get out grinning.

I understand that it is very personal. what works for me is not what works for you. If I was in your spot, once I had it down to a few cars I would borrow / rent them for a day and drive all day. If they won't let you do that then I would show up at the dealer with a book or a tablet with a few movies on it and spend the day in the car.

btw I learned that there is a difference in PT. A good one will teach you exercises to help your self.

Good luck.
That is good advise, Fdew.

I have a lower back issue as well and my wife has an issue with the sciatic nerve. I just bought a Pontiac Vibe and if I had followed your advice I would have not taken this car. One thing though: reading a book on the driver seat is not the same as driving a car: you don't touch the steering wheel and the weight of your arms is not pulling on the shoulders. I could sit all day on the Pontiac's seat and read but I couldn't do the same driving.

I found lumbar support lacking. Then I got a piece of upholstery foam from Jo-Anne's Fabric and carved out a piece that I can put behind the small of the back. I tried various shapes until I was happy. I put this under the factory seat cover and you wouldn't be able to tell it is there unless you sit down. I don't want to drive all day but I could.
The reason why I don't want to drive all day has to do with the general seat position. The Vibe and Matrix are based on the Corolla platform but they are higher than the Corolla. They made the steering column more upright and put the seats at chair height. None of that is the killer but the position of the pedals make it impossible (for me) to find the correct seat adjustment. When I am comfortable in the seat I am too far away from the steering wheel and my arms pull me forward or I am too close to the pedals, or the seat back is too upright. I found a compromise where I can drive for hours on end but I am constantly reminded to stay in that body position. If I change my hold on the steering wheel I am out of the comfort zone! You couldn't figure that out when reading a book.
My wife sitting in the passenger seat complained about the headrest being to close. That is because she must have the backrest upright so much that anyone else sitting on her seat would feel pushed forward like a jack knife. We are currently trying a flat 15x17x2" (or so) piece of foam at a level of the lumbar region up to the shoulders. That puts her head about 2" away from the head rest while it maintains the full length of thigh support.

A good physical therapist may even be helpful making adjustments to a patient's driving posture.

Last edited by tanprotege; 07-15-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:49 PM

Your response illustrates that we are all very different (Praise God) We can't take any ones word that any vehicle seats are, or are not comfortable. I discovered that my problem was helped by sitting up higher off the floor by riding a few hrs (and driving) a friends Vibe. Just the car that doesn't work for you. I applaud your use of added foam here and there. I have done the same. In fact there is a foam pad added to the seat of my CX-5 to change it from good to just right.

"The trouble with bucket seats is that not everyone has the same size bucket." I don't know who said that.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Default thanks all

I"m definitely going to take my time buying the next car i like that mazdas don't have much lumbar - that's what i need.