Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Help me decide, Should I buy a Mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Default Help me decide, Should I buy a Mazda 6

Hello everyone!!

Ok, I have been thinking about purchase either an 05' - 07' Mazda 6, but I have some concerns and questions. A little more information, I am looking at the 6 cyl sport sedan.

First is the Mazda 6 made by Ford?

Second is the 6 more of a Japanesecar or American?
See i have always owned Japanese cars, andI trulydo like the ride,power, feel, etc. So I need help in deciding between this and say an Accord, Altima, etc.

Thank you all in advance!!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Default RE: Help me decide, Should I buy a Mazda 6

1) Yes and No. From what I've heard the 6s (6-cyl) is a more or less ford engine (it has a FoMoCo stamp on the oil pan). The 6i (4-cyl) is supposed to be all Mazda. However, they're all made by Mazda, not Ford, even though Ford owns something like 30% of Mazda.

2) I feel it's kinda a split between the two. It's not as small and cramped as some japanese cars, but it's not an oversized boat. That said, the trunk is lid is oddly shapped, and it's taken me awhile to figure out where the rear bumper is when I back up. Part of that problem is that my first cars were a 83 crown vic then a 95 buick, so I've always had the larger cars, where the rear bumper sticks out.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:34 PM

The Mazda6 is a nice car...among MANY other nice cars. As stated before, the 6-cyliner engine is Ford's Duratec 30 with added Varaiable valve timing and refered to as the AJ(Jaguar uses a similar AJengine). The car itself is made at the Auto Alliance International in Detroit. AI is a joint venture between Ford and Mazda. Mazda is a Japanese company, but Ford owns 33.something percent of Mazda. According to Japanese law, this gives Ford control of Mazda. The 4-cylinder Duratec (MZI)whichis also used in certain Ford models is in fact a Mazda design. The transimissions on the 6 are Japenese, while the Ford Fusion/Mercury Millan/Lincoln MKZ have used a differnt tranny...they should all have switched over to the Japanese unit for 2008. Having said all that, you'll really have to make up your own mind as to weather or not you want to buy a Mazda vs. any of the other Japanese competitors. I had a Mazda Protege' (which was built in Hiroshima) for 10 years that went over 200,000 miles. I felt that it was a good car, so I stuck with Mazda and got a 6. I feel that with porper care and maintainance that this car should last a long time. As we all know, Toyota has gained a reputation for being nearly indestructable and with good reason. A friend of mine has an OLD Toyota pick up with over 300,000 miles and it's till rolling. But that doesn't mean that every single car that Toyota makes will be great. All manufacturers make lemons. Regardless of whose name is stamped on your car, you need to take proper care of it and hope for the best.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:31 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: 93greenstrat
Regardless of whose name is stamped on your car, you need to take proper care of it and hope for the best.
That's one of the best statements I've seen on a car forum. Proper treatment is the quintessential ingredient in a reliable machine.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 PM

The Ford V6 is the weakest link in the Mazda 6. I found this out the hard way with TWO complete engine failures...

https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_12740/tm.htm