Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

trying to decide what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Question trying to decide what to do

Do you all love your Mazda cX5s???? I made the mistake of buying a 2014 Honda CRV - i have a honda civic - 2002 that i love and wanted the CRV for retirement - figured i could pay it off by then and have it another ten years. the seats killed my back having to go to physical therapy now and not drive the vehicle. Couldn't tell from a ten min test drive and Honda doesn't loan out cars. Anyway gonna take a big loss regardless and am now in the process of looking at other makes/models mostly the CX-5 not sure i want to look at Nissans they don't seem as reliable. I need comfort plus reliability. The 2015 loaner i have this weekend is really nice only thing i really noticed was my neck was stiff but i think it was the way i was sitting not really the head restraint. A lot of new cars have uncomfy seats and head restraints that push head forward i know - this didn't really seem to push it forward so i think i just need to adjust seat - just want everyone's opinion on the mazda CX-5 any of you have seat and back issues??? I think it's a great looking and driving SUV! it seems fun.... zoom zoom

Old 05-25-2014, 05:38 PM

I did the same mistake with a 2013 Sonata, I thought I wanted a sedan but found they have no space for buying stuff and no rear windshield washer...I know I should have noticed!! The CX-5 was the best out of all the CUV I tested and I didn't want to make another mistake. The headrests do not adjust but I don't feel its uncomfortable. I did not understand what the big deal was about the CR-V because I didn't like the interior and its too plain looking and didn't like the idea of the CVT trans on the rouge and the forester was too expensive and ugly. I liked the Rav-4 but the styling and comfort was just nicer on the CX-5. I went all out on this one with the GT and Tech and even got the red color I really wanted. At least making a painful financial mistake makes you realize what it is you are willing to do and spend. I am paying $120 more a month that I didn't want to pay in the first place but I love it in my garage and I can't wait to need to go somewhere so I can drive it unlike my sonata which I kept kicking myself over buying it every time I saw it. I see other cars on the road and it reminds me now I made a good choice and plan on keeping this for a very long time.

I was also thinking about the Equinox from chevy. Those seats were very comfy and it looked very spacious, almost too big, but I stilled preferred the look and feel of the CX-5.

Last edited by jayally; 05-25-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add equinox
Old 05-25-2014, 06:16 PM

Well, my back is hurting sometimes too and my new to me vehicle is worse than the old one was. I am going to add an adjustable lumbar support. One way is to use a blood pressure cuff and put it into the seat back. I am sure you can find an auto upholstery/trim shop that will do it for you.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:50 PM

I am not finished researching yet. I found some videos that give additional ideas.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Default thanks

for the replies. I tried a bunch of stuff on the honda i just give up - the seats just don't fit me right. been driving the mazda for a couple days and so far it's great - i love the way it feels and drives and all the electronics work well with my phone/ipod - didn't work so well in Honda. Just have to see why my neck is still before i make a decision on this. trying to figure out if costco discount is best way to go i guess it is but who knows. i have t be very careful after what happened to me with the honda. i just love the color combination of this car also and it doesn't have a moonroof which i don't need. it's missing daytime running lights i guess but i'm not used to having those in my civic anyway so some ways seems a bit stripped down - was thinking i should get a FWD instead of AWD although they don't have one right now - i doubt i'll need AWD but i guess it's good to have and good for resale. whats all this i read about batteries crapping out after a while? i had that issue with my old old saturn cuz the battery got too hot. I Guess it's not on every mazda though.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:23 AM

Batteries:
If people do what I do then the batteries will die: I don't lock my car for most of the time when it is in the garage.
If you don't lock this car a bunch of electronics are left in stand-by mode and that will drain the battery dead. These batteries suffer from being drained that much, they will take a recharge once or twice but every time they are drained down they loose capacity. That's a bummer because with all these electronics you need battery capacity.
My former Ford Windstar used more batteries than I cared for. One reason was the automatic lights: they stayed on for 20 or 30 seconds after turning off the car. The Windstar also has a bunch of electronics and you could pull a fuse if you expected the car to stand around for 3 weeks unused (airport, vacation etc).

What I have learned about this issue would not keep me from buying the CX5. When the battery dies I would buy a high quality battery. I would consider additional ground connections and maybe an upgraded alternator to battery cable.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:29 AM

thanks for the advice - good to know because i have never locked my cars in the garage either - thanks!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 AM

This car has a great feature that automatically locks when you walk away from the car. I park in my garage and never locked it but its always better to be safe, I am really getting used to not having to lock the doors and if I don't hear the beep when I walk away I press the lock button for good measure. You can change the settings using the headunit setup button. I used trucar to get price quotes before going to the dealer and then had one price match. I got my Red 2015 GT with tech package for $28841 + TTL. They also gave me $500 more on my trade because I was having a hard time dealing with the financial pain it was costing me so they came up on price. CarMax will give you more than the dealer on trade but then you have to deal with 2 companies. For me the logistics were going to be a problem and they ended up being $500 less than carmax was going to give me.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM

We found the CX-5 seats different than CRV, but no more comfortable. If you want comfort, you need to look at the Santa Fe Sport.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:33 PM

I think the seats are more comfortable just my neck is getting some pain - not sure if it's the headrests or just me and the way i'm sitting. I don't really want a Hyundai. I have some time to think about it - just gotta decide fairly soon. driving me nuts. Drove Nissan Rogue yesterday - drivers seat comfy but passenger - OMG just like CRV - not good - lumbar sticking me in the back at the wrong place - more expensive also - so far i really like the CX-5 just gotta make a decision - gotta take the loaner back today Wonder if anyone rents so i'd have more time with one. ANyone know???? Physical therpist looked at it today and how i was sitting in and she thinks it's pretty good. her hubby actually has one. She just wants me to make sure my posture is good when i am driving and not leaning on console or anything like that. just need to really make sure can't make another expensive mistake - it cost me thousands

Quick Reply: trying to decide what to do