Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Thinking of Buying CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 03:50 PM
Default Thinking of Buying CX-5

Hi all,
I'm in the market for a vehicle, and am heavily leaning towards the CX-5. I'm looking at the 2016+ models, but just want to see if there are any concerns or issues I should be aware of.

But I'm also looking for some feedback on the following concerns I have...
I'm aware Apple CarPlay wasn't introduced until 2019 models, which is a big bummer, but it looks like I can now purchase a kit to retrofit this. Any issues or concerns with this retrofit?
I'm seeing the 2016 models were revised mid-year. But I'm not really clear on the different between 2016 and 2016.5+ models. Will the 2016 or earlier models have any sort of compatibility issues with parts or something like the AppleCar play retro fit? I guess ultimately I'm just not sure why this 2016.5 version was released. Was there some sort of major issue?
One feature that I really seem to want is the adaptive cruise control. I live in a high density area with lots of highway traffic. I almost never use cruise control because I find it more of pain to use because of traffic, and also because I like having more throttle control around bends. But this adaptive cruise control sounds like it'll solve one of my main issues. How well does this work? Online feedback seems to be good, and this feature is legit and not some gimmicky marketing feature.

Any feedback you can give on these cars will be helpful. I'm also considering the CX3, primarily due to price point, but it just seems like more of a hatchback than an SUV.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Any 2015+ CX-5 running the MZD connect stereo can be retro-fitted with Android auto / Apple Carplay.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:05 PM
BWJ

I have had a cx3 2019 but it was too small when shopping big or on holiday, we bought a cx5 2020 instead, and have much better space and better comfort, only disadvantage of cx5 is that you always choose the longest way home :-)

Old 09-30-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BWJ
I have had a cx3 2019 but it was too small when shopping big or on holiday, we bought a cx5 2020 instead, and have much better space and better comfort, only disadvantage of cx5 is that you always choose the longest way home :-)
I really got entertained (in a positive way) by your response! I mean dude....... the visions that popped up made me laugh. Among my small fleet of Dailey drivers is a 2009 MINI Coopr S , and I have no problem with bringing home groceries and holiday gifts. LOL I will say that I might have a problem getting a pool table tied down on the roof? lol

I did like your phrase that could be used with almost anyone that enjoys just driving.... "choose the longest way home" ! I do that almost everyday coming back from work driving my MAZDA 3 and even among my cars my 05 GT PT Cruiser lol !

Old 09-30-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by funandez
Hi all,
I'm in the market for a vehicle, and am heavily leaning towards the CX-5. I'm looking at the 2016+ models, but just want to see if there are any concerns or issues I should be aware of.

But I'm also looking for some feedback on the following concerns I have...
I'm aware Apple CarPlay wasn't introduced until 2019 models, which is a big bummer, but it looks like I can now purchase a kit to retrofit this. Any issues or concerns with this retrofit?
I'm seeing the 2016 models were revised mid-year. But I'm not really clear on the different between 2016 and 2016.5+ models. Will the 2016 or earlier models have any sort of compatibility issues with parts or something like the AppleCar play retro fit? I guess ultimately I'm just not sure why this 2016.5 version was released. Was there some sort of major issue?
One feature that I really seem to want is the adaptive cruise control. I live in a high density area with lots of highway traffic. I almost never use cruise control because I find it more of pain to use because of traffic, and also because I like having more throttle control around bends. But this adaptive cruise control sounds like it'll solve one of my main issues. How well does this work? Online feedback seems to be good, and this feature is legit and not some gimmicky marketing feature.

Any feedback you can give on these cars will be helpful. I'm also considering the CX3, primarily due to price point, but it just seems like more of a hatchback than an SUV.
Both the CX-3 and CX-5 are really great cars, you can't go wrong. Have you driven both and compared? If not, I would highly recommend it. Both cars have their respective advantages/disadvantages.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't test drove either one, but my previous car was a 2010 Mazda3, so I'm somewhat familiar with the feel of Mazdas. I'll stop by a dealer to try both out. But I'm leaning towards the CX-5, not only because I like the appearance better, but I do a lot of adventure travelling in the outdoors, and that extra room will probably come in handy.

Any feedback on the adaptive cruise control? I'm actually considering forking out an extra few thousand for a newer model almost exclusively for this feature.
I've also noticed the media screen on 2016 earlier models is imbedded in the dash, vs the newer models it sort of pops out on the top. I actually somewhat prefer the older look, but is there functionality differences between the two? I've tried to look this up, and I suspect the newer ones are touch screen when the car is stopped, but the older ones are not touch screen?

Last edited by funandez; 09-30-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't test drove either one, but my previous car was a 2010 Mazda3, so I'm somewhat familiar with the feel of Mazdas. I'll stop by a dealer to try both out. But I'm leaning towards the CX-5, not only because I like the appearance better, but I do a lot of adventure travelling in the outdoors, and that extra room will probably come in handy.

Any feedback on the adaptive cruise control? I'm actually considering forking out an extra few thousand for a newer model almost exclusively for this feature.
I've also noticed the media screen on 2016 earlier models is imbedded in the dash, vs the newer models it sort of pops out on the top. I actually somewhat prefer the older look, but is there functionality differences between the two? I've tried to look this up, and I suspect the newer ones are touch screen when the car is stopped, but the older ones are not touch screen?
My 2014 is a touch screen and the 2013 I test drove before buying this one was also. The ones that look like a tablet glued to the top of the dash are larger and the infotainment system is updated and improved from the older ones. However, I agree with you that it looks better in the dash.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:52 PM

I definitely recommend the adaptive cruise control. It is indeed great especially on road trips where you do not have to constantly adjust the speed setting. Only when the speed limits change of course

Old 10-04-2020, 08:07 AM

I would recommend a test drive in any car you are looking at!

I will preface that I have a Mazda 6 and CX-5. They are great driver's cars. Handling is outstanding!

Apple and Android car play can be added to anything from 2015 and newer. The upgrade will also add improved 2.0 USB ports instead of the older 1.5 versions. This will recharge your device much faster. It is worth the update.

The adaptive cruise control is wonderful. It can be a bit touchy on the brakes when someone gets too close to your set radar range. The cars slow down quickly on adaptive. I use it all the time. The cruise control is also very accurate and holds speed well.

If you are serious about a car, please go out and drive them at the dealership. I test drove the CX-30, CX-5 and CX-9 one right after the other to get a sense of size. The CX-5 was the best fit for my needs, but they all drove exceedingly well.

I hope that helps.