Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Old 06-06-2018, 02:29 AM

Any problems with the, Machine Gray Metallic color? I think it is also a more expensive color option.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Update: Mazda is aware and seems to be forming a plan of action. I contacted the dealer and sales person I bought my CX-5 from last year to alert them of the problem. The service manager at the dealership let me know that Mazda is aware of the problem and they are going to help address it. He asked me to bring the car to the dealership. He identified all of the paint chips on the body by putting small stickers near them. He took pictures that he said he needed to send in to Mazda to document the problems. He said he will follow up with me soon with an update. I think Mazda will take care of this professionally. I'll post the resolution when it happens.

At dealership. Service manager placed stickers on the car identifying the location of the paint chips on my 2017 soul crystal red CX-5.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Talking Mazda Canada finally agreed to repaint my CX-5

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you. I called Mazda Canada about my paint problems and they made arrangements with my dealer's service department. They took pictures (with the paint chips circled) and sent them to Mazda Canada. And they finally agreed to do the repair.

I think Mazda is aware of the problem and have finally put together a plan to compensate the owners of "Soul Red Crystal Metallic" Mazda CX-5 like us. Hoping that the new painting will be as robust (if not better) than the original painting ... and as beautiful.

Keep insisting ... they do not have the choice to listen to you!

Good Luck!

Last edited by TorpidLittle; 06-11-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:18 PM

The chrome Rear Bumper Guard is a must if you put much in the back! It can be added.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Default CX5 Crystal soul red

Just thought I would let people know that Mazda has agreed to repaint my CX5 Crystal soul red Iam crossing my fingers it turns out OK shame that after paying as much as I did for this vehicle it has to be painted before it's a year old. No guarantees that it will not happen again just have to wait and see. Will keep everyone on top of this vehicle gets painted Mon. June 25 2018

Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 AM

Just a quick note after hounding Mazda for months they have agreed to repaint my CX5 just to let you all know being painted Mon. June 25 crossing my fingers keep hounding people a good guy to talk to at Mazda Canada is a fellow named Nick mention my name if you like I'm sure he will be pleased I posted this. He's in customer relations. Pat

Old 06-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Default Paint issue

I purchased a mazda 2 gt sport brand new in August 2017. I've noticed the paint is chipping and scratching very easily. I took it to a body shop and he said he couldn't touch it up because there is barely any paint on the car so he'd have to repaint the entire section! The colour I have is metallic deep crystal blue. Before this had a mazda 2 in aquatic blue and the paint was a lot tougher in 5 years no chips. Every time I hand wash the car I find new scratches and chips and I don't even drive a lot!

Old 06-27-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by patjoe
Just thought I would let people know that Mazda has agreed to repaint my CX5 Crystal soul red Iam crossing my fingers it turns out OK shame that after paying as much as I did for this vehicle it has to be painted before it's a year old. No guarantees that it will not happen again just have to wait and see. Will keep everyone on top of this vehicle gets painted Mon. June 25 2018
I'm probably not the only one here who would like to know the following:

1. Is Mazda applying the EXACT same paint, or a different formulation?
2. Is Mazda (or whomever is doing the repaint) applying the paint JUST LIKE THE FACTORY or some other technique/method?
3. Is Mazda guaranteeing the repaint, and that the repaint will not flake like the original?
4. What exactly IS the problem? Is it the paint? The way it was applied? Both? Something else?

Old 06-27-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SweetPete
I'm probably not the only one here who would like to know the following:

1. Is Mazda applying the EXACT same paint, or a different formulation?
2. Is Mazda (or whomever is doing the repaint) applying the paint JUST LIKE THE FACTORY or some other technique/method?
3. Is Mazda guaranteeing the repaint, and that the repaint will not flake like the original?
4. What exactly IS the problem? Is it the paint? The way it was applied? Both? Something else?
Great questions! The only one that's easily answerable is #2. No local paint shop can replicate a factory finish as the conditions are entirely different. They do, however, apply the finish in three distinct steps and do it according to factory specs.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:29 AM

OK, I've been through this. The Mazda dealer bought the original factory formula Crystal soul red paints from Pittsburgh Paint (PPG) and got his instructions from them, not from Mazda. Took him 2 tries, but he got it right. That said, the Mazda dealer body shop may have a better incentive to go the extra step to get it perfect.
Some factory paints have a little bit of "orange peel" surface that is difficult for body shops to duplicate, but the soul red is slick and easier to duplicate the surface finish. It is the exact paint look that is the tough part. Since only the front 1/4 of my Mazda was repainted, it had to be an exact match to the rest of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic