Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by timmonsr@gmail.com
OK, I've been through this. The Mazda dealer bought the original factory formula Crystal soul red paints from Pittsburgh Paint (PPG) and got his instructions from them, not from Mazda. Took him 2 tries, but he got it right. That said, the Mazda dealer body shop may have a better incentive to go the extra step to get it perfect.
Some factory paints have a little bit of "orange peel" surface that is difficult for body shops to duplicate, but the soul red is slick and easier to duplicate the surface finish. It is the exact paint look that is the tough part. Since only the front 1/4 of my Mazda was repainted, it had to be an exact match to the rest of the car.
Well no, it doesn't have to be "exact". Just close enough to fool the eye and that's where the art of blending come into play.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:17 PM

I’m having a similar issue with a brand new Mazda 6 (2018). Love the car and color but there is an excessive amount of chipping two months in.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Default CX5 paint

hi there my car is in the shop right now being painted i just hope it turns out ok don't know what i will do if i have thé same trouble again next move i think would be the média hope it doesn't come to that.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:44 PM

patjoe,

Do you have *anything* in writing from either Mazda or your Mazda dealer regarding an admission to the paint defect?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Please keep us posted on how the repaint goes. I'll be reaching out to my dealer about this pretty soon.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Default CX5 Crystal soul red

as soon as I get my car back and go over it I will let everyone know crossing my fingers I have no problems.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Default Another 2017 CX5 Soul Red

I purchased my red 2017 Grand Touring CX5 in May, 2017. It currently has over 100 paint chips just in the hood in 16,500 miles. I first brought this to the attention of the Mazda service department several months ago. After the iterations others have gone through, Mazda is evaluating the $4,000 repaint estimate and is expected to repaint the hood, A pillars, fenders, and part of the doors. The "approved' body shop wants the car for 2 weeks and is confident that the paint can be duplicated. He will be repainting another soul red car before mine so hopefully he will have learned how to do it. Except for this defect and the goofy infotainment system, we love the car. Anybody else had paint chipping problems with colors other than soul red?

Old 07-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lulick9
I purchased my red 2017 Grand Touring CX5 in May, 2017. It currently has over 100 paint chips just in the hood in 16,500 miles. I first brought this to the attention of the Mazda service department several months ago. After the iterations others have gone through, Mazda is evaluating the $4,000 repaint estimate and is expected to repaint the hood, A pillars, fenders, and part of the doors. The "approved' body shop wants the car for 2 weeks and is confident that the paint can be duplicated. He will be repainting another soul red car before mine so hopefully he will have learned how to do it. Except for this defect and the goofy infotainment system, we love the car. Anybody else had paint chipping problems with colors other than soul red?
There have been reports of similar problems with Machine Grey, the "other" $595 paint option. I really hope they get to the bottom of this soon as these two colors would be my top choices if I were to replace my 2013 CX-5 with another Mazda product (probably a 2019 Mazda 3).

Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 AM

Hi all,

I have a Soul Crystal Red Mx5, which was delivered at the end of May. It was already polished at the dealer because of the same issue.

Under normal conditions, this is invisible, but with strong light source, near its reflection or in the sun (near its reflections) there are these spots which cannot be removed.

The dealer did not know what this is, and the car is usually in the garage, I park outside rarely (except 2 weeks ago on holiday, there was some rain, and it was sunny afterwards).

did anyone encounter this problem, or know what this might be?
Video at the dropbox link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/78upw3r1d9y76jh/Video%202018.%2007.%2016.%2011%2048%2004.mov?dl=0

Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 AM

Looks more like water spotting than the paint chipping that have afflicted many here.

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic