Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone Mount When Using Android Auto / Apple Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 07:02 PM
Default Phone Mount When Using Android Auto / Apple Car?

Just got a 2019. A little surprised you have to plug the phone into a cable to use Android Auto. Pretty slick though. Seems you don't really need to access the phone now. Stashing it in the center console is a little clunk and a tight fit. I was thinking an elegant solution would be some sort of slide in holster that you could stick to the front side of the console. If it was think enough the phone shouldn't obstruct cups in the cup holder.

Other option is to do the same and mount it on the side of the console next to the drivers right hip/leg.

Or, run a cable up to around the console and into the front tray. This is the least desireable, unless you ocassionally need to see/access the phone, then this is the best solution I think.

What do people think?

Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jazee
Just got a 2019. A little surprised you have to plug the phone into a cable to use Android Auto. Pretty slick though. Seems you don't really need to access the phone now. Stashing it in the center console is a little clunk and a tight fit. I was thinking an elegant solution would be some sort of slide in holster that you could stick to the front side of the console. If it was think enough the phone shouldn't obstruct cups in the cup holder.

Other option is to do the same and mount it on the side of the console next to the drivers right hip/leg.

Or, run a cable up to around the console and into the front tray. This is the least desireable, unless you ocassionally need to see/access the phone, then this is the best solution I think.

What do people think?
Congrats on your 2019 CX-5. Yeah, unfortunately Android Auto is not running wireless, would be great if it would. Is the USB cable connection still coming from the center console? If yes, then it is a bit tricky but I guess you could run an extension without the cable seen much and then just use one of those magnet phone holders to secure your phone near the vents or your dash. In my 2018 CX-5 we do not have Android Auto but can get it as an upgrade for $400 which is pretty expensive. Hence, I am using a magnet phone holder and am very pleased with it.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 AM

I don't want to block or partially block the vents. On my 2010 Acura MDX I just traded in, I had a mount that mounted using the opening for the CD player, was great. No CD player in the CX-5 understandably. I guess yes, very infrequently I may want to access the phone, but in virtually all those cases not while driving. I don't want any cords showing except right near the point where it plug into the phone and I don't want to even partially block the vents nor do I want anything mounted on the dash. I think ideally, something that mounted to the edge of the center console, leaving the cubby up front still accessible would be my perfect solution.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:38 AM

I took a close look at it looks like my only option is to use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Magnetic-Car-Mount-One-Hand/dp/B01LQWNMPU/ref=sr_1_32_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1548951572&sr=1-32-spons&keywords=cx-5+phone+mount&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Magnetic-Car-Mount-One-Hand/dp/B01LQWNMPU/ref=sr_1_32_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1548951572&sr=1-32-spons&keywords=cx-5+phone+mount&psc=1

And stick it just to the left of the gear shifter. Covering the gear labels is no big deal as the dash readout tells you what gear you are in and if placed far enough forward it should not prevent manual gear shifting (maybe even don't have to mount it that forward). That way just plug it in and set it on the magnet, now it's accessible for occasional use yet out of the way not messing up the look of the interior. It IS a little weird that in this day and age in a 2019 model, the Android Auto can't be wireless.

You could probably stick on of these to the side of the console if you didn't need to glance at the phone screen ever but wanted a completely clean cabin look without stuffing the phone in the cubby or storage box.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Jazee; 01-31-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Default Phone holder

I don't know if you seen the commercials but WeatherTech now has a phone holder that might work.

https://www.weathertech.com/cupfone/

Old 02-02-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by gatordave641
I don't know if you seen the commercials but WeatherTech now has a phone holder that might work.

https://www.weathertech.com/cupfone/
I'd rather not lose cupholder usage and/or block vents.

Well I decided to go with a magnetic mount to the left of the shifter. Since with Android Auto you almost never have to look at the phone, this keeps it accessible but yet not unecessarily cluttering the dash or partially blocking vents. (I'l probably get a smaller black cable guide instead of that big white one.) One thing that is nice is my LG V30 is a metal phone in a clear plastic case and I can use the magnet mount without having to stick one of those metal discs on it that can prevent the wireless charging. It's not stuck very hard to the magnet but enough to keep the phone from sliding around.

Name:  7A5ZKSh.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  262.3 KB

I also figured out a solution as to where to put my sporting even seat cushions without just having stuff lying around in the cargo area. Although this solution was cheap from Amazon, I think I may find one that is a little better designed where the is a strap for the center headrest to keep it from sagging. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist as you might tell.) It's nice there is velcro on the bottom back side to keep it stuck to the back of the seats.

Name:  FO3O5kT.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  134.1 KB