Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Phone Dock for Android Auto/CarPlay Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Default Phone Dock for Android Auto/CarPlay Upgrade

Once I had CarPlay/Android Auto installed in my 2018 Mazda6 Signature, I needed a place to dock my phone while using Android Auto. I had found from earlier experience with AA that for safety reasons it’s best (for me) to have the phone’s screen out of view and use voice control and the car’s display for AA.

Since I've always had good experience with ProClip docks (“mounts & holders”) for my phones, I chose their device holder for the Pixel 2 XL, my current phone.

ProClip Device Holder for Pixel 2 XL

One of my objectives was to keep as much storage space as possible (front cubby, cup holders, center console, etc.). I found that fastening the ProClip holder directly to the roof of the front cubby would allow this. This also eliminates the need for both a ProClip mount and the swivel base that comes with the holder. To secure the holder, I drilled out two of the ProClip’s existing holes to accept large, short flat head screws. Here’s how it turned out:

ProClip Holder Mounted to Top of Cubby

Path for Cable Run Under Console to USB Port

USB Connection

Empty Phone Dock - MZD Display

Phone Docked - Android Auto Display (Waze Navigation)

This setup should work equally well for Apple CarPlay. I'd be interested to see what others have done for phone docks in the Mazda6.