Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Apple Car Play/Android Auto for Miata (UK News)

Old 11-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Default Apple Car Play/Android Auto for Miata (UK News)

Apple Car Play / Andriod Auto UK News
FYI.... Mazda UK are offering Apple Car Play/Andriod Auto installation for...... wait for it ! ...... £350 !!!!!!! Not given as retro freebie in any circumstances. In addition standard caveat applies "Mazda are not responsible for performance/compatibility/upgrades/issue" etc.

I'm not a clever guy but I am clever enough to know that my MX5 (Miata) cost me £28,500, is less than 12 months old and has the lovely Soul Red Metallic paint (chipping of course) and £350 for Apple Car Play/Andriod Auto is not happening for me. In addition, this is the last Mazda I will ever own. Happy Days !

Old 12-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Default Apple Car Play / Andriod Auto UK New...chipping paint

Originally Posted by Arthur
Apple Car Play / Andriod Auto UK News
FYI.... Mazda UK are offering Apple Car Play/Andriod Auto installation for...... wait for it ! ...... £350 !!!!!!! Not given as retro freebie in any circumstances. In addition standard caveat applies "Mazda are not responsible for performance/compatibility/upgrades/issue" etc.

I'm not a clever guy but I am clever enough to know that my MX5 (Miata) cost me £28,500, is less than 12 months old and has the lovely Soul Red Metallic paint (chipping of course) and £350 for Apple Car Play/Andriod Auto is not happening for me. In addition, this is the last Mazda I will ever own. Happy Days !
Chipping paint is a warranty issue....Have the dealer fix it!!! I wish I had only this problem when I was buying British Leyland products years ago!

Old 01-03-2019, 04:34 AM

I tried every conceivable way to get Mazda to deal with poor paint adhesion. They would not listen. Car now sold. I am now an ex MX5 owner after 20 years of unbroken loyalty. Good luck with any court action you may consider.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:45 PM

Im expecting android auto etc will standard on the next generation so as of when the new 3 launches the main reason its 350 quid upgrade is that its more than just software usb port is replaced ( they aint cheap on mazdas ) and an extra loom is run from the cmu to the usb ports plus the software etc thats why ita currently only an option other wise it would not be back wards compatable to all models with MZD only newly built ones. Your paint issue if its the new soul red then its best left chipped as its impossible to colour match right unless you redo half the car but if they are caused by stone chips then thats not warranty

Old 01-15-2019, 02:32 PM

I paid £28,500 for the car (brand new).
Yes the paint had chipped due to stones.
BUT the pain't quality/adhesion is sub-standard and therefore it is a paint issue.
I sold the MX5 at 12,000 miles with 60+ "stone chips".
I have since purchased a Fiat 124 (brand new).
I have now completed 6,000 miles with ZERO "stone chips". Same roads, same driving style. Wake up Mazda owners. You are being duped.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Arthur,

I agree with your frustration with the Red paint. I am surprised that Mazda is still selling it without addressing the problem. My faith in Mazda has gone down a bit as a result.

If you were told the Apple Car Play upgrade would be free, then it would have been worth fighting for. Otherwise, it is a significant hardware upgrade that is not cheap. I understand them charging for it.

They have different responses in different markets to both issues. I would sell a red Mazda instead of having them paint the damaged panels out of concern for how the paint would hold up in the future. I would be concerned about new chips as well as the different panels fading at different rates.

Good luck with your FIAT. I assume that the Mazda infotainment system in your 124 has already been upgraded to include Apple Car Play. It should be a great car for you.