Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Painful Seat - Seat Hurts

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
I feel your pain. Literally!!! Still no update on my side. If there were an option to pay $1K or $2K to replace these front seats with more comfortable ones, I would do it in a heartbeat.
I haven't found our new CX-5's seats particularly uncomfortable, but I certainly don't blame you for seeking relief if you do. Maybe talk to a good auto upholsterer. They might be able to do something to improve them for you.

My local upholsterer did a great job on my e46 BMW's seats. Not that the seats were necessarily an uncomfortable design, but they were breaking down a bit with 15 years' age and use. Much better now after a rebuild last year.

Last edited by Bird-Dog; 07-27-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:56 PM

Yeah, my 2019 GT Reserve seats should be a bit softer but even on long trips the seats were OK.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:53 AM

Thanks, for the reply... I would pay to have the seats replaced as well!

Old 07-28-2020, 04:12 PM

My only "medium cost" idea is to have an auto upholstery shop trim a bit of foam off the seat (say 3/8") and back and replace it with good quality memory foam.

Eric B.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:43 PM

Is the seat cushion removable? If so, only use it when you're taking long trips. I guess I'm lucky, my tush feels fine in my 2019 CX5 Signature. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2020, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Angela K
Is the seat cushion removable? If so, only use it when you're taking long trips. I guess I'm lucky, my tush feels fine in my 2019 CX5 Signature. Good luck!
The side bolsters are not removable or adjustable, otherwise that would be great.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:37 AM

I own CX-5 GT 2017. I had no problem with the seat for 4 years. NOW it`s really terrible, PAINFUL, my bones hurts me, my butt that`s not fun. I tried different seat adjustment... nothing helped, nothing improved that`s just very painful. I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs. Just driving 10 miles in the morning and feel the pain all day. Cannot stand it and does not know what to do. I let the dealer check the seat. Just got the reply: he did not find any mechanical issue, recommends to replace the seat cushion - but it may, may NOT help ($530)... I do not know what to do now... they send my offer for new cx-5. Not sure if it`s a good idea, you know

Old 10-14-2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BostonLisa
I recently bought a 2020 CX5 GTR, after having leased the 2017 GT. The seats are definitely different. I had no issues with the 2017, but the 2020 are just awful. My boyfriend and I both are in pain after only an hour-long drive. I'm at a loss as to what to do since the dealer said there's nothing they can do. If I purchase a cushion, it negates the seat warming and cooling features. Mazda must have changed suppliers or sacrificed some cushioning. I feel duped after spending $35K on a car I can't take on long trips. Anyone here find a solution?
I own CX-5 GT 2017. I had no problem with the seat for 4 years. NOW it`s really terrible, PAINFUL, my bones hurts me, my butt that`s not fun. I tried different seat adjustment... nothing helped, nothing improved that`s just very painful. I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs. Just driving 10 miles in the morning and feel the pain all day. Cannot stand it and does not know what to do. I let the dealer check the seat. Just got the reply: he did not find any mechanical issue, recommends to replace the seat cushion - but it may, may NOT help ($530)... I do not know what to do now... they send my offer for new cx-5. Not sure if it`s a good idea, you know

Old 10-14-2021, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mazdajim18
My wife is driving a 2019 CX-5 GT and has found that despite the many seat adjustments available with the power seats, that the seat cushion causes pain in her tail bone. She has ended up using a memory foam cushion in the seat which defeats the heating and ventilation options. The dealer response is that all of the seats are the same which she confirmed with a tush test. Has anyone figured out a soution other than custom upholster or buying a different car?
Thanks.
I have the seat issue too. Did not find the solution yet. I own CX-5 GT 2017. I had no problem with the seat for 4 years. NOW it`s really terrible, PAINFUL, my bones hurts me, my butt that`s not fun. I tried different seat adjustment... nothing helped, nothing improved that`s just very painful. I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs. Just driving 10 miles in the morning and feel the pain all day. Cannot stand it and does not know what to do. I let the dealer check the seat. Just got the reply: he did not find any mechanical issue, recommends to replace the seat cushion - but it may, may NOT help ($530)... I do not know what to do now... they send my offer for new cx-5. Not sure if it`s a good idea, you know
How did you fix this seat issue pls?

Old 10-14-2021, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by andromeda
I have the seat issue too. Did not find the solution yet. I own CX-5 GT 2017. I had no problem with the seat for 4 years. NOW it`s really terrible, PAINFUL, my bones hurts me, my butt that`s not fun. I tried different seat adjustment... nothing helped, nothing improved that`s just very painful. I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs. Just driving 10 miles in the morning and feel the pain all day. Cannot stand it and does not know what to do. I let the dealer check the seat. Just got the reply: he did not find any mechanical issue, recommends to replace the seat cushion - but it may, may NOT help ($530)... I do not know what to do now... they send my offer for new cx-5. Not sure if it`s a good idea, you know
How did you fix this seat issue pls?
Take it to an auto upholsterer and tell them you want softer contoured cushions than stock installed.

Quick Reply: Painful Seat - Seat Hurts