Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Painful Seat - Seat Hurts (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/painful-seat-seat-hurts-42959/)

Mazdajim18 10-12-2019 03:04 PM

Painful Seat - Seat Hurts

My wife is driving a 2019 CX-5 GT and has found that despite the many seat adjustments available with the power seats, that the seat cushion causes pain in her tail bone. She has ended up using a memory foam cushion in the seat which defeats the heating and ventilation options. The dealer response is that all of the seats are the same which she confirmed with a tush test. Has anyone figured out a soution other than custom upholster or buying a different car?
Thanks.

mazda_nc_dude 10-12-2019 05:17 PM

Unfortunately this is the only complaint I have about our 2018 CX-5 GT. The seats are very hard and more importantly the hard side bolsterings are making the seat area too narrow. I am not a big guy and have a small tush and despite of that my thighs hurt a lot even after a very short trip. The CX-5 is my wife's car and luckily she does not complain about her daily commute, but if this were my daily driver I would be in trouble. I would also welcome any thoughts/feedback about making the seats more comfortable. And please, do not suggest to gain more weight and get a more softer tush by eating more donuts, already got that suggestion on a different forum :)

3carmonte 10-12-2019 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mazdajim18 (Post 178003)
My wife is driving a 2019 CX-5 GT and has found that despite the many seat adjustments available with the power seats, that the seat cushion causes pain in her tail bone. She has ended up using a memory foam cushion in the seat which defeats the heating and ventilation options. The dealer response is that all of the seats are the same which she confirmed with a tush test. Has anyone figured out a soution other than custom upholster or buying a different car?
Thanks.

Get a coxis cushion. Hailed by Interstate truck drivers as the most comfortable seat you can get (and some of their seats are already pretty comfortable as you might imagine). I have them in all my vehicles and as a long distance driver myself, Fla to N.Y. / Fla to ND etc. I can confirm that they work. My wife discovered them. "Skwoosh" is the magic word! (No affiliation whatsoever with this vendor or re-sale reference).

briwill70 11-13-2019 05:15 PM

I purchased a 2019 GTR a month ago and my biggest complaint is definitely the seats. Seat base is too small and hard. I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs and I've never had this issue with other cars. I know a lot of people have complained about this. Can people share their fixes? I've been looking at aftermarket seat base covers. Has anyone tried this? Taken seats to an upholsterer for modification? Did it help?

mazda_nc_dude 11-13-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by briwill70 (Post 178711)
I purchased a 2019 GTR a month ago and my biggest complaint is definitely the seats. Seat base is too small and hard. I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs and I've never had this issue with other cars. I know a lot of people have complained about this. Can people share their fixes? I've been looking at aftermarket seat base covers. Has anyone tried this? Taken seats to an upholsterer for modification? Did it help?

I still have not solved this problem but noticed that in my case setting the seat to a higher position helps a little bit on longer commutes. I am about the same height and weight as you.

It's indeed a shame that Mazda made such a great car but did not invest enough time/money/research into the seats.

JJNEG39 11-15-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 3carmonte (Post 178007)
Get a coxis cushion. Hailed by Interstate truck drivers as the most comfortable seat you can get (and some of their seats are already pretty comfortable as you might imagine). I have them in all my vehicles and as a long distance driver myself, Fla to N.Y. / Fla to ND etc. I can confirm that they work. My wife discovered them. "Skwoosh" is the magic word! (No affiliation whatsoever with this vendor or re-sale reference).
https://www.amazon.com/Skwoosh-Cushi...omotive&sr=1-2

Does the coxis cushion activate the airbag sensor in the passenger seat? We have issues with other seat cushions that don't seem to register that a passenger is occupying the seat! Thanks.

3carmonte 11-15-2019 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by JJNEG39 (Post 178745)
Does the coxis cushion activate the airbag sensor in the passenger seat? We have issues with other seat cushions that don't seem to register that a passenger is occupying the seat! Thanks.

Good question! The cushion by itself does not activate occupancy status in the passenger seat. When there is a passenger sitting on it, it does. Thanks for your interest in my post. For me, any issue that has a tangible solution is not a problem. Our Mazda seats are no worse than the seats in most other cars.

Arkainzeye 11-24-2019 09:00 AM

I wonder if they changed vendors for the seat or something.. i have a 2018 Cx-5 GT and i drove it 2 Florida 2 times, 1 time i drove it from pittsburgh pa to Daytona straight through and for ME it was issue free.. i had no issues with me seat at all .. but I’m 190lbs 5’11 . We have a 2017 rav 4 and its seats are horrible so she wanted to take the cx-5 So far to date in 14 months, we really like our seats in the Cx-5

BostonLisa 07-26-2020 05:17 PM

checking in for update

I recently bought a 2020 CX5 GTR, after having leased the 2017 GT. The seats are definitely different. I had no issues with the 2017, but the 2020 are just awful. My boyfriend and I both are in pain after only an hour-long drive. I'm at a loss as to what to do since the dealer said there's nothing they can do. If I purchase a cushion, it negates the seat warming and cooling features. Mazda must have changed suppliers or sacrificed some cushioning. I feel duped after spending $35K on a car I can't take on long trips. Anyone here find a solution?

mazda_nc_dude 07-27-2020 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BostonLisa (Post 185772)
I recently bought a 2020 CX5 GTR, after having leased the 2017 GT. The seats are definitely different. I had no issues with the 2017, but the 2020 are just awful. My boyfriend and I both are in pain after only an hour-long drive. I'm at a loss as to what to do since the dealer said there's nothing they can do. If I purchase a cushion, it negates the seat warming and cooling features. Mazda must have changed suppliers or sacrificed some cushioning. I feel duped after spending $35K on a car I can't take on long trips. Anyone here find a solution?

I feel your pain. Literally!!! Still no update on my side. If there were an option to pay $1K or $2K to replace these front seats with more comfortable ones, I would do it in a heartbeat.