Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
It is interesting how variable this is. I had a '19 GT which never used a drop in 20k miles. So far my '21 GTR is also not burning any oil in the 5k it has traveled. We will see how it does over time. I had a 1988 323GT and 2000 Miata as well. Neither of them burned oil either.
Your response is more the norm regarding MAZDA's and not the other I keep reading here on this thread!

Old 01-26-2022, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
You know when some of us that are in the business read posts like this and I am sure our first thought and ultimately first reaction is.....
That's fine. I just replied to chickdr19 so say that I've always driven aggressively, and high RPM driving causes oil consumption, so that's not lost on me. But the CX-5 is my wife's car and she drives it 95% of the time and not at all aggressively. I left out an important piece of info though. We've had a 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4WD since new and even though that motor screams to the red line and drives like a race car SUV, it has never once in 225,000 miles consumed a drop of oil. Never.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Inexplicable_Bill
That's fine. I just replied to chickdr19 so say that I've always driven aggressively, and high RPM driving causes oil consumption, so that's not lost on me. But the CX-5 is my wife's car and she drives it 95% of the time and not at all aggressively. I left out an important piece of info though. We've had a 2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4WD since new and even though that motor screams to the red line and drives like a race car SUV, it has never once in 225,000 miles consumed a drop of oil. Never.
Ok..
btw

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Old 01-26-2022, 10:18 AM

You're lucky? I'm curious - how aggressive a driver are you? I love my upper rev range - I like accelerating briskly and shifting at the red line. Not every time, I have my moments though. That kind of driving causes consumption, but the CX-5 Turbo shifts at about 4,800 rpms anyway, so it's not like anyone in my family is driving it like an Indy car.
The Turbo takes it up to 4,800 rpm as standard shift points? The 2.5L NA is geared nothing like that. Why would the Turbo take it up that high?
Would that not result in a HUGE decrease in MPG compared with the 2.5L NA? Does the Turbo always kick in as you upshifting your way through the speedometer?

I am just a year short of Methuselah's record and I have no desire to redline an engine any longer. Maybe I should go on Testosterone therapy.

Best Wishes, RMV

Old 01-26-2022, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by reubenvabner
The Turbo takes it up to 4,800 rpm as standard shift points? The 2.5L NA is geared nothing like that. Why would the Turbo take it up that high?
Would that not result in a HUGE decrease in MPG compared with the 2.5L NA? Does the Turbo always kick in as you upshifting your way through the speedometer?

I am just a year short of Methuselah's record and I have no desire to redline an engine any longer. Maybe I should go on Testosterone therapy.

Best Wishes, RMV
The shift point in both the NA automatic transmissions and the Turbo engine are throttle position determined. As far as I am aware of the TCM operation are the same between both engines. Unless someone has TCM program information that are not available yet and can show differently my thoughts?
I have DYNO'd both models and they were the same?

Old 01-26-2022, 10:32 AM

Best Wishes, RMV
This is Methuselah again. Just a thought/suggestion. Why don't you get one car with a manual transmission that is made to be a screamer,
and make it your designated red-liner and drive the Japanese family cars like you are on Clonazepam?

That seems like an idea to me. I don't get much satisfaction out of red lining a car with an automatic transmission. With a manual, when you hit
your desired rpm (one way up there that has the engine about to explode and shoot shrapnel all over the road, you get the satisfaction of up-shifting
and hearing the huge sigh and relief coming from in front of the firewall. That works for me.

But again, I just want my CX-5 to last and for it to be buried with me like a Viking Cheftain and his ship. And I get plenty of power, IMHO, taking it up to 3,00RPM.
And, finally, we have Police here and doing the redline thing on a local street is a good way to get a speeding ticket on your record that doesn't go away for years.
Maybe a risk on the highway as well. But then I am Methuselah.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:36 AM

Best Wishes, RMV
No, the turbo does not shift at 4800 unless you are really going for it. It will shift just like the NA 2.5 if you take it easy. That being said the average MPG is quite different between the two in my experience. The NA runs about 4-5 MPG higher MPG than the turbo. I get just under 22 MPG around town in my GTR where my GT ran 26-27 MPG. The GTR will run around 26 MPG on the highway while my GT was around 30 MPG.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:44 AM

No, the turbo does not shift at 4800 unless you are really going for it. It will shift just like the NA 2.5 if you take it easy. That being said the average MPG is quite different between the two in my experience. The NA runs about 4-5 MPG higher MPG than the turbo. I get just under 22 MPG around town in my GTR where my GT ran 26-27 MPG. The GTR will run around 26 MPG on the highway while my GT was around 30 MPG.
Thank you for the clarification. ChickDR19. I thought the Gentleman was saying that it was std. for the CX-5 Turbo to shift at those points. I now get it
that what he is describing is how he likes to take it up while accelerating. I like my gas mileage with the NA motor, especially where the price of gasoline is
today and where it will go this Summer. I don't own EXXON stock so have no reason to burn gas like water. I can't afford it with retirement income at 968 Years
of Age. I have had people call me a F_G on other forums because of my driving. Mind you I get it up to 80mph plenty of times on the Highway when I have cover
from other cars, front, back, sides. Maybe 80-85 mph sometimes, then I bring it down as I like chatting with police but not when pulled over I don't have radar. Do
you, just as a point of interest? Who invests in radar? Just curious.

Thank you again and a permanent thanks to Callisto who always has something very thoughtful and with deep mechanical knowledge to add.

God bless you both.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:44 AM

I've had three Toyotas in my life, a 1974 Celica GT, a 1986 4Runner SR5 manual and a 1995 4Runner SR5 auto. The Celica is one of the best cars I ever owned, but the two 4Runners started using a quart every 3,000 miles at around 75,000 miles. My Mazdas don't use a drop, so ...

Old 01-26-2022, 10:49 AM

Interesting because you mileage in the real world should be the same. You are not in Turbo "boost" all of the time and mostly in NA so technically you should under normal driving with good throttle habits get the same or very close to the same MPG between a NA and Turbo MAZDA Skyactiv engine.
This can clearly be seen using a OBDII monitor and watching the timing vs RPM and the % of throttle vs the instant and "true" mpg (not the dash monitor which is "smoothed" for easy reading).
I might add that on soft DYNO run between the MAZDA Turbo and NA the engine produced the exact same power and torque. So this would also support both engines should get the same MPG when the Turbo is not boosting. I should also mention that boost levels are scaled so even in most average daily drivers when throttling even during passing or merging onto a highway seldom boost level beyond 50% for that short time accelerating to desired speeds.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-5 TSB Turbo Engines - Oil Consumption