Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda cx-5 sport 2019 burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 11:58 PM
Default Mazda cx-5 sport 2019 burning oil

Hi everyone,

I am new to Mazdas, I purchased a used Mazda cx-5 about 4 months ago and I put about 4000 miles during that time, 2 weeks ago the oil light came on so I stopped my car and checked the level and it was low, I added a little less than a quart of oil to the engine, my question is if this is normal for cx-5 to burn a quart of oil between oil changes, I am aiming to change the oil every 5000 miles, should I call Mazda and report the issue? My car has 34000 miles at the moment, any guidance is appreciated.

Last edited by Monky322; 11-19-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:56 AM

Hopefully you made a typo (4 miles in 4 months).
If not, then your vehicle was down almost a quart of oil when you purchased it, either that or you have a leak.
Please note is not uncommon for the 2.5L (NA) engine in these vehicles (and some other import brands) to have "different" oil levels.
For instance, doing an oil change, my 2020 requires a 1/3 to 1/2 a quart of additional oil above what the manual says, for the dipstick to read correctly.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Hopefully you made a typo (4 miles in 4 months).
If not, then your vehicle was down almost a quart of oil when you purchased it, either that or you have a leak.
Please note is not uncommon for the 2.5L (NA) engine in these vehicles (and some other import brands) to have "different" oil levels.
For instance, doing an oil change, my 2020 requires a 1/3 to 1/2 a quart of additional oil above what the manual says, for the dipstick to read correctly.
Yes, I meant to say 4000 miles not 4 miles, I think I will report it anyway to Mazda and see what they say

Old 11-19-2022, 10:49 AM

I recommend you take a look at this thread. Your 19 could be one of the engines mentioned. Fortunately you are still within the 5yr/60k power train warranty.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...t-45796/page3/

Old 11-19-2022, 11:26 AM

I appreciate your help both, I am going to call Mazda and let them know what is going on, this car has been serviced at the dealership every 5000 miles so I am hoping they are not going to blame this to poor maintenance.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Monky322
I appreciate your help both, I am going to call Mazda and let them know what is going on, this car has been serviced at the dealership every 5000 miles so I am hoping they are not going to blame this to poor maintenance.
I highly recommend that you go to a MAZDA dealership and have them look at it and you will have it on your service record. DONT CALL it will not likely be entered on your VIN record? Also while you are there you can go over what warranty you have as a used Mazda buyer. It does vary depending on your used car purchase contract and whom it was purchased from.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I highly recommend that you go to a MAZDA dealership and have them look at it and you will have it on your service record. DONT CALL it will not likely be entered on your VIN record? Also while you are there you can go over what warranty you have as a used Mazda buyer. It does vary depending on your used car purchase contract and whom it was purchased from.
Does it? I am pretty sure the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper and 5yr/60k power train warranty is valid no matter how many owners the car has. Could be wrong, but I have never read about an issue with it (unlike Hyundai/KIA who only give the original buyer the 10yr/100k warranty). Completely agree with you about having the car checked out at a dealer though. Have to get the issue documented at an authorized dealer.

Here is the skinny from Mazda on the warranty (it is transferable): https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/warranty

Old 11-21-2022, 08:56 PM

Hi all, I appreciate your input on this issue and hopefully I will take my car to the dealership this coming weekend and see what they say.

Regards,

Old 11-22-2022, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Does it? I am pretty sure the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper and 5yr/60k power train warranty is valid no matter how many owners the car has. Could be wrong, but I have never read about an issue with it (unlike Hyundai/KIA who only give the original buyer the 10yr/100k warranty). Completely agree with you about having the car checked out at a dealer though. Have to get the issue documented at an authorized dealer.

Here is the skinny from Mazda on the warranty (it is transferable): https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/warranty
While I admire your skills in looking things up on the internet, unfortunately in this case you would have to contact Mazda Corp or request a complete detailed warranty program. The warranty is conditional for used Mazda's.
Ya see we have had many used multiple new owner vehicles in the shop that we have tried to get on the "transferable Warranty and were denied. But I will let you skillfully find out why. Gotta do more of investigative work before post something you think is absolute chick! I should also point out as we are talking about Mazda Warranty program that if the service requirements are not met and documented you could be denied some warranty aspect should a problem arise. This is not only with Mazda but generally all the auto manufactures. So, it is very important to alway keep any and all documentation of the service work done outside of a dealership. Like oil and filter service as one big example. This would be a hint about used vehicles and warranty transfers.
But let's just hope that at least on this forum no member has to go through with a used Mazda and a warranty inherited from previous owners.