Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 03:49 PM

I am interested to hear if any of the 2.5T motors are going bad. I have not seen a report yet and with 2 yrs on them now miles should adding on for many of them.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I am interested to hear if any of the 2.5T motors are going bad. I have not seen a report yet and with 2 yrs on them now miles should adding on for many of them.
I'm fairly certain that cylinder deactivation is NOT on turbo models. This adds to my suspicion that these failures are connected to cylinder deactivation. Every manufacturer that has used cylinder deactivation has had its own problems implementing it. It's not worth the moderate increase in MPG if it destroys your engine.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:08 PM

No CD on 2.5 turbo models.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by edmondcx5
I'm fairly certain that cylinder deactivation is NOT on turbo models. This adds to my suspicion that these failures are connected to cylinder deactivation. Every manufacturer that has used cylinder deactivation has had its own problems implementing it. It's not worth the moderate increase in MPG if it destroys your engine.
Yeah, you might be right. The link below shows they've had problems. I don't think I was part of this recall, but makes you wonder if they've solved it.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/m...vation-issues/

Old 04-19-2021, 09:08 PM
Exclamation Probably not engine failure

Any chance this was a botched oil change?

Old 04-19-2021, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by tripolitan
Any chance this was a botched oil change?
Nah man, I always got my oil changed at the dealership. It was actually time to get it changed again when this problem occurred. I brought it in, said I'm due for an oil change, and btw I'm smelling burnt oil or coolant which just started this week, so take a look at that too.

I spoke with the dealership service manager today. He said "every dealer has 3-4 vehicles with the same problem, including us." He tried to justify it like, "when I worked for BMW, there were leaky gaskets, every model has something systemic." Not a really satisfying answer.

So, I was planning to use this vehicle to make an out of state move this weekend. I'm closing on real estate this friday. My current lease expires on Apr 30 and I'm homeless.

Mazda Corporate said today that it's going to be three weeks at a minimum to get spare parts. They still don't have an ETA. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do

Does anyone have any suggestions? Basically, as far as I see it, I come out of pocket to rent a truck or something, try to collect in court, and demand they deliver my fixed vehicle to my new out-of-state home.

What a mess. Very poor Mazda experience.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:39 AM

Just happened to mine. 2018 CX5 with 29k. Same symptoms, oil burning with smoke coming from underneath the hood. The only difference is my dealership spotted my leak back in October, couldn't actually locate where the leak was coming from so they put dye in it and told me to drive it for about 500 miles then return... Only problem is i somehow forgot about this issue and didn't remember until last week when the smell/smoke started.

They gave me a loaner. They will be calling with an ETA, hopefully soon.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by KurtHG
Hello,

I'm posting to see if there is anyone else out there that has had the head cylinder and head gasket go in their cx-5. I have an 18 month old cx-5 that now has this issue after 40,000 Kilometers /25,000 Miles. No check engine or any other light illuminated on the console prior to this happening. I had just gotten an oil change 2 days previous and the first sign something was wrong was a strong burning smell coming from the engine. When I arrived home I saw that oil had leaked in my garage, on my driveway and left a trail down my street. Smoke also came from under the hood.

The Mazda dealership I bought and had the car serviced at tells me that Mazda is aware of some vehicles having an issues with defective head cylinders and that some VIN numbers are effected.

I am now faced with owning a vehicle that is 1.5 years old and will have a rebuilt engine being put together in a dealerships service department. Has any other cx-5 owner had this issue? I have the 2.5L non-turbo.
I had a similar thing happen to my 2018 CX-5 at the 50,000 km mark, I started noticing a smell in the cabin, eventually overpowering, then oil spots on the driveway. The odour smelled like coolant, but it turned out to be a pinhole in the head which expanded when hot, permitting a leak. Mazda admitted that a batch of heads had a manufacturing defect and installed a factory new engine, re-using only the ancillary parts (alt injectors starter etc.) The dealer said it was the fifth one they had to repair. Mazda rented me a car for a month and covered the whole rental and repair cost.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:18 AM

This thread brings to mind a lesson I learned working on boats, but it definitely applies to automobiles. It came from renowned circumnavigator named Bruce Kessler who spent four years taking his 70-foot oceangoing trawler around the world in the 1980s, so I call it

Kessler Rule No. 1:

When you're having a problem with your boat or automobile that you cannot immediately identify, first look where the last person worked--even if the last person was you. That's where you'll find the clues needed to identify and diagnose the problem.

That rule has worked for me more times than I can count, a great life lesson. Your mileage may vary.

MiltB

Old 05-29-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by RooksCX5
Just happened to mine. 2018 CX5 with 29k. Same symptoms, oil burning with smoke coming from underneath the hood. The only difference is my dealership spotted my leak back in October, couldn't actually locate where the leak was coming from so they put dye in it and told me to drive it for about 500 miles then return... Only problem is i somehow forgot about this issue and didn't remember until last week when the smell/smoke started.

They gave me a loaner. They will be calling with an ETA, hopefully soon.
Sorry to hear it, bro. Pro tip: clear all your stuff out of your vehicle. It's been 2mos and I still don't have my vehicle. And, they now want to short me on reimbursements.

What a cruddy experience.

Quick Reply: 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket