Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

I want to buy the CX-5 but super nervous about the paint chips.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
As others have said - buy the soul red and get PPF - IMMEDIATELY! I did not drive my MG CX-5 until I had the PPF installed.

You may get an answer from forum member Callisto- saying paint differences are a myth. He claims no paint is more prone than another to chips (no matter who makes the car BTW....), but I think there is enough info from forum members saying the SRC does chip easier to discount his claims.
I looked into the factory formula, actually measured several Sole Red colored MAZDA's and other colors to compare (they are all the same depth btw) and talked with several Custom and insurance body shops as well looked at the numbers sold the, the aero dynamics of the the MAZDA and yup its a forum MYTH about Sole RED!!
Why don't you do the same? REALLY I would like to see what you find post it up!!
You can purchase a paint depth gauge for about 20 bucks to do part of your research. Other wise you are perpetuating a unsupported MYTH . LOL
Red cars in general do have had decades repetition (along with other certain colors) fading quicker when constantly exposed to the sun then some colors but still not enough to target them as #1 bad color!

Installing a clear is a good way to preserve the paint no matter what the color.