Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

paint chips speed3

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Default paint chips speed3

Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I was wondering if anyone else is having an issue with paint chips appearing on the front and half way up the hood. I have a 2008 Speed 3 and have done very little highway driving but I am surprised to see a number of paint chips given that I only have 12,300 miles on the car. I realise that chipping is inevitable but having owned a number of vehicles and having worked within the industry for over 20 years I am wondering if there is an inherent problem with the paint on these models. I would be grateful for any feedback and if in fact find that I am not alone I will make it a point to bring this issue to both my dealer and Mazda. Great forum and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: paint chips speed3

Unfortunately, it"s pretty normal, and until thepaint companies figure out how to make water based automotive paints more sturdy, it always will.
The only two things you can do are:
1) Clear bra/paint protection time. (+/-$1000)
2) Have a body shop add a layer or two of additional clear coat. I"m told by professionals that that"s what protects the base coat and makes it more chip resistant in modern paint systems. (+/-$1500-$4000.)
Either way, you"re looking at another $1-$4k.

This reminds me of the early-mid "70"s when even American car companies were buying cheap Japanese steel and vehicles began to rust even as they sat on the show room floor. Not really, but very quickly there after. Now the Japanese have figured out how to make quality steel and it"s not a problem.
Everything comes in time, my friend, and history always repeats itself.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:33 AM

I wish I could say otherwise, but I have the same experience with my car.My 2007 'Speed3 has acquired more paint chips in the 18 monthsthat I've had it, than the '99 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T, which I've had for 8 years! Now I know why Mazda sent me a free bottle of touch up paint in the mail.
I've thought about the 3M clear car bra, but it's just not in my budget at the moment. Obviously, you'll get the most benefit from it the newer the car is, so I would go for it if you can afford it now. What color 'Speed3 did you get? If your car is black, I suppose a regular car bra wouldn't look so bad.
Anyway, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new car!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I am not the only one with this issue andI am sure we will be hearing from moreover time. Given that this is most likely a very common issue I intend to approach the dealer initially and ultimately take it direct to Mazda. I have been thinking that I would like to have a paint adhesion test carried out. However, I will have to try and source the actual spec that Mazda calls out. It is a relatively simple albeit destructive test but it would definately be a source of amunition to hold Mazda responsible should it show a negative result. I will keep you guys updated on my progress as I go through the steps and hopefully will have a positive result on getting this issue addressed. By the way, my Speed3 is Red.