Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to buy the CX-5 but super nervous about the paint chips.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 10:17 PM
Default I want to buy the CX-5 but super nervous about the paint chips.

The Soul Crystal Red CX-5 is my first choice but I've done so much reading about the paint chipping that it is making me really nervous on purchasing the car. Some owners say they don't have any paint chips issues, but other say they do.
Does anyone own a 2021 model? I feel like a lot the stories in the forum reference older vehicles so I just want to find out if anyone has the same paint issues with a 2021 CX-5.
I'm ready to buy the vehicle. I love how it drives and how the vehicle looks. I'm just in a dilemma and it's causing me to hold on purchasing and making me look elsewhere. Is it worth buying the Soul Crystal Red CX-5? I'm only worried because I don't think anyone should buy a new car, then later encounter paint chipping issues, having to repaint the car (hopefully it's covered), and then worry that the repaint of the vehicle won't match the factory color. Maybe I just answered my own question, but I would like to see what everyone else thinks. Any tips or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:58 PM

I don't know the answer to this.

I think that all the "extra" cost paint jobs are more complex. Within our family we have experience with Machine Gray Metallic and the Snowflake White Pearl Mica having to be repaired. The body shop told us both these colors are four stage paints, and more expensive to match and repair. You can research the repair techniques, the different coats and the application pattern. The repairs came from collision damage caused others, a rear end and a side swipe.

To address your issue, we chose to use 3M PPF on the front bumper and fenders and hood and mirrors to minimize chipping. So far so good, but it adds cost to the car, of course.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 PM

Over the past few years the Soul Red (beautiful color BTW) has spotty reports of chipping. Some say the problem was solved a few years ago, others report no it was not. I wanted the SR but went with grey just to be “safer”. So far so good, it’s only been four months but the roads here are notorious for flying gravel. Damage won’t be covered by Mazda regardless, so you’re on your own there. If I was to do it again I probably would go for the SR…

Old 07-22-2021, 10:00 PM

We bought our 2021 with SRCM because my wife fell in love with the color. I had a shop add PFF (suntech) on the front end, full hood, full fenders, mirrors and A pillars to reduce the risk of chips. Just got back from a 1500 MI road trip with no chipping. Film should be good for over five years, probably much more since it is garage kept. Works out to less than $20/mo for PFF. And my wife is happy. How could I go wrong?

Old 07-23-2021, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
We bought our 2021 with SRCM because my wife fell in love with the color. I had a shop add PFF (suntech) on the front end, full hood, full fenders, mirrors and A pillars to reduce the risk of chips. Just got back from a 1500 MI road trip with no chipping. Film should be good for over five years, probably much more since it is garage kept. Works out to less than $20/mo for PFF. And my wife is happy. How could I go wrong?
I put a clear bra on my MX5 in 2015 and it still looks as good as the day I had it installed, so you may get a lot more than five years.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:03 PM

As others have said - buy the soul red and get PPF - IMMEDIATELY! I did not drive my MG CX-5 until I had the PPF installed.

You may get an answer from forum member Callisto- saying paint differences are a myth. He claims no paint is more prone than another to chips (no matter who makes the car BTW....), but I think there is enough info from forum members saying the SRC does chip easier to discount his claims.

Last edited by chickdr19; 07-23-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:29 AM

My mother in law has a 2018 Soul Red CX 5. Zero paint chips. I have a 2018 Deep Crystal Blue CX 5. Zero paint chips. Both vehicle paint jobs till look amazing. We live in Alabama if that matters.

Neither car has a bra and neither has had any kind of special product applied to the paint.

Last edited by dlgunter; 07-24-2021 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
Old 07-25-2021, 10:54 PM

AZ has so many rocks on the roads that paint chip touch-up is a state-wide hobby. I have been told by knowledgeable paint shops that Mazda paint is as good any company. But, the multi -stage SRCM costs more to repair than single stage paint. Not wanting that hassle, I added PPF. While the product has a five year warranty, I do expect twice that.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:28 AM

I live in NE NJ and I have had PPF (hood, both front bumpers, A-pillars, mirrors, headlights) on the last few cars I have owned and I think it's money well spent. I have no regrets.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:29 AM

We own a 2018 SR CX-5 and have no paint issues. Zurich Paint Protection was applied at the dealership before delivery though.

Quick Reply: I want to buy the CX-5 but super nervous about the paint chips.