Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery after 1K

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 12:26 PM

Ya... good response DesertRatR! Those numbers are almost [size=13px]identical[/size] to my MAZDA.

I did this morning to post up!ECU Voltage reading directly after stating the MAZDA's engine first time today. Last run period was Friday @ 4:30p.m.
Then the second picture is a few minutes of driving , notice voltage with AC and fan motor at mid speed.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
Their answer to your question should have been 'maybe', instead of 'no'. You might want to show them this TSB (below), which they apparently haven't read yet, and ask if there has been any progress on a resolution to this unidentified problem. (although the TSB does mention power liftgate, so they might have already isolated the problem to that system)

Probably a waste of time to do a parasitic draw test, given that the TSB classifies the issue as being intermittent. Regardless if your vehicle's problem is the one in the TSB or something else, you might want to check the battery voltage every day or so. PITA, but monitoring is about the only thing you can do at this point.

Attachment 7972
Interesting. Please check my voltage readings below. This model has power lift gate. I'll continue to monitor battery voltages over time as the car is sitting. BTW, the fobs are in the house, spare in a metal walled safe (faraday cage) and the other in wife's purse 50 feet from the car and thru 5 walls. I think that is too far for the car to register the presence of the fob.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Ya... good response DesertRatR! Those numbers are almost [size=13px]identical[/size] to my MAZDA.

I did this morning to post up!ECU Voltage reading directly after stating the MAZDA's engine first time today. Last run period was Friday @ 4:30p.m.
Then the second picture is a few minutes of driving , notice voltage with AC and fan motor at mid speed.

Voltage at battery terminals depends upon the state of charge. A fully charged battery should have lower voltage when running, and should continue to drop from when first started until a steady level is achieved.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:35 PM

BTW, what instrument are you using?

Old 08-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Their answer to your question should have been 'maybe', instead of 'no'. You might want to show them this TSB (below), which they apparently haven't read yet, and ask if there has been any progress on a resolution to this unidentified problem. (although the TSB does mention power liftgate, so they might have already isolated the problem to that system)

Probably a waste of time to do a parasitic draw test, given that the TSB classifies the issue as being intermittent. Regardless if your vehicle's problem is the one in the TSB or something else, you might want to check the battery voltage every day or so. PITA, but monitoring is about the only thing you can do at this point.

Attachment 7972
I can measure low current easily enough. However, when the battery is disconnected, are the radio presets lost? Any other hassles?

Old 08-15-2020, 12:49 PM

In the following pictures:

Engine off but accessory on and *stereo playing.
The battery voltage is good but during the load testing the battery show less then supportive amps to support the voltage. This is because of the stereo system and primarily the Sub-woofer amp that has a high amp (not voltage) draw. So I turned off the accessory and will charge the battery and re-test.
The point is that if the battery is not fully charged a good load tester will indicate to charge and re-test. Charging correctly in this scenario pictured will take about 20-30 minutes..
The difference in the voltage between the Digital meter and the load tester is normal while the battery is on the charger. The delay in reporting is the circuitry in the load tester which is not designed to be a diagnostic instrument but a battery load checking device. Some may also notice that the batter is 12oF which also effect the load test generally resulting in even a batter manufactured like the OPTIMA with 100% new materials. To note most so called new batteries and not 100% new material unless they indicate such. Many "NEW" batteries are now using recycled materials which effect there longevity as well the overall performance of the battery. So you all need to adjust "OLD SCHOOL" thinking when you start talking about how long batteries last manufactured in the last 10 years.

Old 08-15-2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by DesertRatR
BTW, what instrument are you using?
Not sure what you are referring to?
If it is the picture then that is an ULTRA Gauge.
The voltage registered is exactly what the ECU registers from the battery. So if you have a good quality Digital volt/ohm meter your readings should be the same directly at the battery and what the ECU input voltage should be. This is not the same thing as registering the voltage at a fuse. The ECU gets the power directly from the battery in order to control various ignition off features and monitors.

I have several of theses one in every vehicle of mine and a couple NIB. IMHO even though they are not colorful as using a cell phone and app they are much easier to use anytime and not worry about the downfalls of cell phone apps needs WiFi or Bluetooth.
Ultra Gauge
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Old 08-15-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by DesertRatR
Voltage at battery terminals depends upon the state of charge. A fully charged battery should have lower voltage when running, and should continue to drop from when first started until a steady level is achieved.
Yes it did drop under the load demand but if you read I said directly after starting and not during the starter cycling as you registered and reported you information. Which again I say was really good! LOL That voltage drop info is about the same as mine for the voltage demand during the start up cycle and starter voltage demand. And because we are cutting edges of information you can not measure battery voltage when a generator is active and regulated by the ECU , only the system voltage regulated by the ECU. Don't worry even before ECU 's on cars many even season mechanics often miss interpreted that reading.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:31 PM

as well I do .... …
The TSB has no follow up information from MAZDA and MAZDA is not suggesting in any of the Dealer Service updates a problem at least from my info using my shops service data information. ...

No idea what you're looking at, but this is directly from the Mazda Service Advisory:

"Some customers may experience an engine no start due to low battery voltage. Mazda is aware of the issue and is working on a solution""

IMO this statement clearly indicates they have identified a problem, and no follow up to date only means they have no solution yet.

Old 08-15-2020, 03:09 PM

OK lets look at the TSB

DESCRIPTION Some customers may experience an engine no start due to low battery voltage. Mazda is aware of the issue and is working on a solution. NOTE:Battery parasitic draw is intermittent. When the condition is present, battery parasitic draw exceeds 65 mA (0.065 A) 40 minutes after key OFF. Contact Hotline for latest repair information.

Its states some as in “SOME” have reported this no start by unconfirmed testing of battery a low voltage battery.

It states the obvious the TSB is generated by MAZDA therefore MAZDA knows about it.

It states that the condition intermittent

It gives service procedure to check for the issue!

It say to contact MAZDA for more information.

So what does this mean? A MAZDA dealership likely had technician that seemed to think a few of the assigned cars to him/her had this issue and reported it as a TSB. TSBs are not generally researched or posted by MAZDA Automotive Engineers like they once were years ago and unless MAZDA is concerned it would not be looked at any more then a standard reported TSB unless MAZDA thought it could lead to a recall.

It listed the suspected vehicles which is probably the few serviced by the reporting Technician?

It gives such a generic description of problem as intermittent?

It does however give the procedure for checking the issue. But that procedure most any Technician that passed there test to get MAZDA or ASE Certified knows anyway.

Then finally the generic phrase if you don't like what you found go bother MAZDA so they can tell you no other updates on that concern! Lol

No idea what you're looking at, but this is directly from the Mazda Service Advisory:

"Some customers may experience an engine no start due to low battery voltage. Mazda is aware of the issue and is working on a solution""

IMO this statement clearly indicates they have identified a problem, and no follow up to date only means they have no solution yet.
Um... may I suggest you look into what a TSB is. who can report a TSB, how TSB is followed up, and mostly read that they are guide for Technician and some mechanic to identity a possible problem. These days it is IMHO unfortunate that anyone can read them. LOL
Did you not read my responses indicating that there was NO follow up to confirm the TSB you posted with MAZDA that I could find in a paid subscription Service advisory I mentioned and contacting MAZDA I am sure will confirm that TSB has a no additional information?
That is also why I sorta hinted for gream_reaper to perhaps check it out because he has MAZDA TSB updates that are not always available as fast outside the MAZDA direct dealerships!
Why is it so many members think after all my posting to help and pictures not to mention information think that I am only just another DIY.... hahahaha! LOL.
OK...

Last edited by Callisto; 08-15-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Dead battery after 1K