Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery after 1K

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
….
….Did you not read my responses indicating that there was NO follow up to confirm the TSB you posted with MAZDA that I could find in a paid subscription Service advisory I mentioned and contacting MAZDA I am sure will confirm that TSB has a no additional information? ….
Oh yes I certainly did read it, along with all of the other tripe you posted. My only objective here was to alert the OP to information published by the Mazda which appeared to match their vehicle's problem symptoms. But you immediately jump in to say that because YOU cannot find any confirmation or follow up in your vast collection of data, that this TSB certainly must be bogus. And now you drone on and on about how the TSB process has gone down the drain, which further supports your case that what I posted is of no value.

Based on some of the other $hit I've seen from you, it seems your goal is to constantly reinforce how superior you are to everyone else on this forum, and enjoy putting others down. And you obviously have a need to be the 'voice' of the forum (and probably everything else as well), and must always have the last 1000 words. So, be my guest and have the last word here once again, because I am done.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
Oh yes I certainly did read it, along with all of the other tripe you posted. My only objective here was to alert the OP to information published by the Mazda which appeared to match their vehicle's problem symptoms. But you immediately jump in to say that because YOU cannot find any confirmation or follow up in your vast collection of data, that this TSB certainly must be bogus. And now you drone on and on about how the TSB process has gone down the drain, which further supports your case that what I posted is of no value.

Based on some of the other $hit I've seen from you, it seems your goal is to constantly reinforce how superior you are to everyone else on this forum, and enjoy putting others down. And you obviously have a need to be the 'voice' of the forum (and probably everything else as well), and must always have the last 1000 words. So, be my guest and have the last word here once again, because I am done.
LOL This is not your first rodeo ride posting information on a subject that it is clear you know very little about. That being Batteries and 12 volt electrical charging system regulated charged rate from the ECU. Now you want to debate or argue from a member that has direct apllicated experience knowledge and information about the 12 volt system on vehicle as well TSBs. LOL. Auh ok!

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...89/#post185903

I could go on about some of your other responses on various threads since you joined,, but come on your are arguing a TSB that you went on the internet to find an answer to instead of posting, perhaps some hands on real world experience electrical diagnosis and problem solving? LOL..

At least I went to the trouble of taking the time to do a battery test and voltage check complete with pictures to help the OP instead of generic information. I also tried to explain to you based on what I did say at one time was authorized to contribute was the facts about TSB. That's right dude I use to be one of those Auto Technicians that posted TSB's. LOL

But before some other past judgment on what some may interpret as me being hard on you lets look at your stats from the first day you joined this forum, shall we?

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/sea...earchid=527630

Now really dude get off my **** and try to see I am actually trying help not hinder this OP to resolve his problem in the best possible way without having to weed through all the BS from those that are obvious internet surfers for information?

In the future I suggest use Sun Tzu before challenging a members response on any forum

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

To correctly & accurately test a battery, it needs to be fully charged & at rest.

I rely on both a midtronics tester ( authorised & labeled by Mazda ) and the good old hydrometer. Testing individual cells gives a full picture.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:59 AM
Thumbs up hydrometer. Testing individual cells gives a full picture

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
To correctly & accurately test a battery, it needs to be fully charged & at rest.

I rely on both a Midtronics tester ( authorized & labeled by Mazda ) and the good old hydrometer. Testing individual cells gives a full picture.
Interesting choice of MAZDA approved battery load tester!

Hydrometer testing is a lost art. Its nice to read that someone still uses it. That also means you must be proficient in math! These day I tend to only use a a hydrometer for the wet motorcycle batteries. Even that is getting almost none use because most everything I own now is AGM. It saves on all the tiny holes in the cloths..... LOL

I forgot I was charging the battery last night to do a load test finish to post on this thread. I like the RED OPTIMA but not all their decals. So de-badge the battery but carefully preserve the decals if I need to warranty the battery. It to bad a BLUE marine Optima wont work without changing the positive batter cable to a custom cable.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

We have two types,

One based on the GRX series, its branded as a genuine Mazda tool, ( NOT CHEAP ) https://www.midtronics.com/diagnosti...gers/grx-3000/

the other is hand held, also branded as a Mazda service tool, with built in printer, something like a MDX-650 https://www.midtronics.com/testers/mdx-600-series/

Old 08-18-2020, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
I have a question for @m5xguy, how far from the parking place of your CX-5 do you typically keep the key fob? I've seen numerous reports, from all makes I might add, where owners might keep their key fob within ten meters (just shy of 33') of the parked vehicle. The common consensus/working theory is the vehicle senses the relative nearness of the fob and keeps certain electronic systems up and running in preparation for another trip for the vehicle, thus increasing battery drain. In one case, one of my co-workers had some guests over to his house, one of the guests had a new Nissan which was parked only a few feet from where they sat out in their back yard; after four hours the Nissan failed to start due to a drained battery.

Disclaimer, I've never researched this issue, and never experienced it as our Mazda3, which also uses proximity detection, is virtually always parked an easy 12 to 15 meters from where the keys are kept; said another way, everything I wrote above is a regurgitation of what I've read and heard from other folks, so take my comments with a grain of salt.
This is not how these systems work.

There are no coms between the car and the fob until a button is pressed, either a fob button or a request button on the car. If it's a request button on the car, the car sends a signal out and the fob receives it. If all is in order the fob then answers the car with confirmation that it's ok to unlock the car. The car and the fob are always in listening mode but they do not constantly transmit a signal. That would be a very poor design.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
We have two types,

One based on the GRX series, its branded as a genuine Mazda tool, ( NOT CHEAP ) https://www.midtronics.com/diagnosti...gers/grx-3000/

the other is hand held, also branded as a Mazda service tool, with built in printer, something like a MDX-650 https://www.midtronics.com/testers/mdx-600-series/
Funny how all across the waters you use the same equipment for diagnostic assessment!
Mine is a rather older model Midtronic's , but IMO still reliable. PBT-100. I see that they are no longer available in RED ? LOL.
https://www.midtronics.com/testers/pbt-series/

Old 09-30-2020, 03:37 PM

Although I previously said that I was done with this thread, Mazda has released a significant update to what I posted previously. So for the benefit of anyone having an unexplained battery drain issue on a 2020 (including the OP if he's still around), here's something you'll want to know, if you're not already aware of it.

Although their original alert of a possible liftgate issue did not include a resolution, Mazda has since published an updated version MC-10179162-0001.pdf, and the automaker also concurrently opened this special service program MC-10179088-0001.pdf in order to resolve the problem.

This SSP will replace the power lift control unit in a large number of CX-5 and CX-9 vehicles, and Mazda was supposed to be sending this information to owners 'around' September 1. Although I still have not received this letter (my VIN is included in the range list), that's not necessarily surprising, and I'd expect that it will show up sooner or later. But just in case anyone who owns a 2020 which is on the list, and does not get this information, contact Mazda in order to have the part replaced on your vehicle. If the unit malfunctions, it will be draining your vehicle's battery, until probably some morning when it doesn't start. So much better to have it replaced under this program, in order to avoid any chance of that happening.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
Although I previously said that I was done with this thread, .
I know its hard to stay away lol
It is however a nice follow up!
But lets be clear that the word "may" is used and there is a reason for that in such notices. You might look into why it is often used in the law? Also no one should interpret anything from this but to contact your MAZDA dealer directly and talk with them if you think or have been suggested by a service shop you "MAY" have an issue covered with the notice provided in the last response.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
….no one should interpret anything from this but to contact your MAZDA dealer directly and talk with them if you think or have been suggested by a service shop you "MAY" have an issue covered with the notice provided in the last response.
The following comes directly from the SSP document:

Owner Notification:
Mazda will notify owners of subject vehicles by first class mail around September 1, 2020 and the owner letter will be available on MGSS at that time. A dealer communication will be sent when customers are notified.

No idea why you wrote a term paper about 'MAY', but I don't see any MAY in there. It's 'WILL', not 'MAY'. Based on this documentation, I'm expecting to get a letter that tells me to make an appointment to have this part changed out, and would expect the same for every other owner on the list of affected vehicles.

And after I've received the letter and have had the work done, I'll post back with that update as well .

Quick Reply: Dead battery after 1K