Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by SGOxon
Thanks for your input. Regarding buying high and selling low, I can assure you that is not the case in the Australian market (the buying high part). Cars are stupidly expensive here, it is an unavoidable fact. I challenge you to find any comparable 10-11 year old car in Australia for less than $16k. $7k buys you a complete wreck here. Probably not even roadworthy. 170k is km not miles by the way.

Regarding an independent mechanic, I have gone to one, but it was over his head, so it could be worth finding a diesel engine mechanic and see it they agree if the engine is actually shot.
You appear to be very unlucky with cars and engines. It seems youve had a vw and now a mazda which has expensive failures. Yes used car markets are inflated but you still need to find value and eliminate risk. Whenever times got tough I would pick up a used beater for $500 and save my $$. Decent used beaters have been inflated now but can be found in US for between $5000 and $10000. The main problem being rust. Im assuming your vehicles dont rust as badly. There are Plenty of car listings on carsales.com.au that are under $8000-10000. Spending less on the car leaves you more money for future repairs. However in your case, it is probably best to get a used engine(if it needs one) and keep the CX5. Dont want to see you take a loss, buy another car and possibly end up with a 3rd lemon as it seems you keep hopping into worse situations...out of the pot and into the frying pan. Hopefully the engine isnt ruined or you can get a used engine for cheap. Good luck.
and if you do decide to get another vehicle, research it as much as you can, join every forum and read every car and drivers and consumer reports and look at all the reddit comments so you know which models years to avoid on any one vehicle. Again good luck.

Last edited by kilroy22; 07-11-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:52 AM

my 2014 2.2D had the intake manifold cleaned, the vacuum pump replaced, then the vacuum pump gets recalled and replaced again [WTF], then the exhaust pressure sensor ****ed up car got towed over 600Km back home, and also coolant pipe leaked and replaced.

Now after all those years of hard work done, only after 4500km after the previous service, "vehicle system inspection light on and off, on and off". sometimes i manually turn it off using a cheap OBD2 scanner, it can't read any **** out.

Car is currently approaching 160000km, no turbo or engine replacement yet.

I am wondering if just drive it until it dies on the road again or back to the dealer to do an early service at about 5000km travel.

Old 08-17-2023, 12:14 AM
Default ****ed cx-5 2012 help needed

HI ALL. ive been reading through these threads. and find myself in the same situation. Cx-5 purchased of a lady who had it services at Mazda pukekohe they have a service history. well at 160,000kms the car has spat out coolant over the engine bay. i replaced the radiator cap. issue i sit has pressure build up when cold when i release the cap. the coolant container is over flowing and the radiator has no water. Ive been told by so many mecs the head gasket has gone without doing a pressure test. Because if its building pressure when its cold its ****ed pretty much. Im annoyed to say the least. a vec should last longer than 160,000kms with routine servicing. Mazda dont want a bar of it and told me they wont do anything. Im not happy. how do i go further ?

Old 09-06-2023, 03:58 AM
Default advice please

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
The OZ recall is for what I posted above. I know in OZ the warranty coverage for SH diesel engines is probably 99%, regardless of age of km's.
With a large number of non-dealership serviced diesel Mazda coming into the dealerships for the recall, there will be the chance, ( at least in OZ ) to catch engines in poor condition and most likely result in new engines. ( TBC )

With Mazda NZ having their heads in the sand, I don't see any improvement of care shown to NZ owners.

The recall is most likely directed from Japan.
CX5 2014 Max Sport

ONGOING Repair service history
  1. February 2018 – 52333kms,strong smell of fuel
  2. September 2018 - 62081kms, FUEL SMELL abnormal fume smell. please check Carried out inspection, Carried out fuel injector value reset as required.”
  3. January 2020 –81461kms, “ENGINE RUNNING ROUGH. Customer advised vehicle had loss of power twiceand has overheated, found no coolant in reservoir.. Carried out head gasket test; all okay. Found coolant leak from the coolant junction box below the intake manifold. Removed and replaced the coolant bypass due to leak. Re-tested coolant system”’.
  4. March 2020 – 84202kms, “Was recently in to complete the engine recalls and now Master warning light has come on -Vacuum pump replacement -
  5. May 202085455kms, “ONGOING ISSUE WITH ENGINE: losing powervehicle losing power parts have been ordered Checked and found turbo charger assembly to have premature internal failure causing the vehicle to loose power. Removed engine, replaced turbocharger assembly and all relevant gaskets and seals. Re fitted engine,
  6. February 2021 97376kms, “ONGOING ISSUE WITH ENGINE: losing power inspected and found failure of exhaust pressure sensor.
10. January 2022 - 114,829kms the vehicle COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN with absolutely NO warning, NO LIMP MODE . Vehicle presented with the MIL and Master Warning Light illuminated. Carried out oil pressure test and found a low oil pressure condition. Found a combustion leak from number one injector.

Current
  1. 15 June 2023 (16 months later) 145622kms, the vehicle is EXPERIENCING THE SAME power loss issue AGAIN. The vehicle was towed to Mazda Newcastle, they have had the vehicle since this date.
“ENGINE FAULT. INSPECT POSSIBLE COOLING SYSTEM OVER PRESSURISIBNG - HAS HAD COMBUSTION LEAK REPAIR CARRIED OUT PREV AT COFFS MAZDA 2022 - QUOTED $350.00 DAG DEPENDANT ON FISDINGS,
Carried out general inspection and found coolant stains around engine bay.. Completed test for engine combustion gas present in cooling system (TeeKay test) and confirmed.Reported results through to Mazda Au technical assistance. Carried out the removal of engine accessories as required to carry out engine compression test and engine cylinder leakage test. Compression test: 1) 217psi, 2) 290psi, 3)159 psi, 4)203psi.

Mazda will NOT agree to pay for the further investigations.

Please help!

Old 11-09-2023, 02:44 PM
Default Diesel cx5 motor failure

Hi all,
I'm not sure if this has been questioned in here or not, so please direct me to the comments if it has.

My 2015 mazda cx5 diesel has recently had its 2nd head gasket failure. Mazda Australia have just approved the repair but not a hire car. It's been 6 weeks without the car already and going off the 5 other vehicles sitting at the dealership with the same problem, I believe I may not see my car again before 2024. I live in a small country town, have 2 young children and now no vehicle. Not an ideal situation! However I am grateful the repairs will eventually be completed.
I am sus though as we were told that only the head gasket is going to be repaired. We have not been told what caused the problem in the first place. As far as i am aware, all tests have come back indicating there is nothing wrong other then a head gasket.
I've asked for the reports, but am told I can't have these as they are internal documents. I'm increasingly frustrated as I don't have answers or a vehicle. I will be contacting consumer affairs to see if there is any consumer rights I have around the time frame repairs might take.

I am also wondering if anyone in Australia has looked into class actions for this problem? It is clear that it is a recurring problem with these motors and having already had a recall that clearly hasn't solved to problem, I'm wondering why Mazda Australia are not being honorable to their customers, regardless of the number of years since the vehicle was purchased. I am the sole owner of my car and am gutted that I have had to go through this motor issue for the 2nd time. Only this time I'm feeling like I have to fight to get Mazda to fix the KNOWN problem. Having a rough estimate from what the Mazda dealership has told me about this problem, I suspect there is at least 1000 vehicles off the road right now. Maybe we can raise this issue together and hold Mazda accountable for the inability to provide a reliable motor for their customers. I really don't want other people to have to go through what I have been through.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about how this issue could be taken further as a group, I'd like to know.

Old 11-09-2023, 03:06 PM

Dealership for warranty do not have to give the report and finding.
It is not unusual and actually common. If it had been out of warranty, then I am sure in your country like the USA there are regulation or laws that service shops must show the replaced parts and service information in somewhat detail fashion.
The diagnosing is generally a short report and not many shops detailed a service statement to customers. I mean I even as detailed as I am for my customers I would not as an example give all the results of doing a compression followed by a leak down followed by a wet test followed by a chemical test etc....but only the summary of results. This is also common. Why would they some terms and procedures are at times for experienced and trained service to understand? If it was not warranty you could simply have another shop look at what they find and compare the end results.

IMHO (qualified) a Class action is not going to happen because although you can find people on the www having the same problem, many reports are repeated by the same person or carried over to various forums and sites by people and it does not show accurate numbers. besides here again it **takes hundreds of vehicles and some form of exact duplication of the problem for most attorneys to even consider thinking about a long fight with an auto manufacture. And in the end, most of the actual people effected get less than their own money spent and more goes to the attorneys.

If you have such a thing as small claims court in your country when you finally get your vehicle back, you can attempt to recuperated loss by way of needing to rent a vehicle. But I don't think you would get much more than that. If you have civil courts, it will cost you a sum upfront to start that proceeding with no guarantee of wining and you could lose more time and more money.

** not sure where you ever got this estimate of thousand effected??????

Of all the dozen or more auto related forums I belong to I have only read ONE class action that was actually started and completed. ONE!
While I am sure there may be a couple more, I doubt that there is as many as so many thinks are out there let alone those that win . Many get settled and we never hear/read about them.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-09-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Dealership for warranty do not have to give the report and finding.
It is not unusual and actually common. If it had been out of warranty, then I am sure in your country like the USA there are regulation or laws that service shops must show the replaced parts and service information in somewhat detail fashion.
The diagnosing is generally a short report and not many shops detailed a service statement to customers. I mean I even as detailed as I am for my customers I would not as an example give all the results of doing a compression followed by a leak down followed by a wet test followed by a chemical test etc....but only the summary of results. This is also common. Why would they some terms and procedures are at times for experienced and trained service to understand? If it was not warranty you could simply have another shop look at what they find and compare the end results.

IMHO (qualified) a Class action is not going to happen because although you can find people on the www having the same problem, many reports are repeated by the same person or carried over to various forums and sites by people and it does not show accurate numbers. besides here again it **takes hundreds of vehicles and some form of exact duplication of the problem for most attorneys to even consider thinking about a long fight with an auto manufacture. And in the end, most of the actual people effected get less than their own money spent and more goes to the attorneys.

If you have such a thing as small claims court in your country when you finally get your vehicle back, you can attempt to recuperated loss by way of needing to rent a vehicle. But I don't think you would get much more than that. If you have civil courts, it will cost you a sum upfront to start that proceeding with no guarantee of wining and you could lose more time and more money.

** not sure where you ever got this estimate of thousand effected??????

Of all the dozen or more auto related forums I belong to I have only read ONE class action that was actually started and completed. ONE!
While I am sure there may be a couple more, I doubt that there is as many as so many thinks are out there let alone those that win . Many get settled and we never hear/read about them.

Thank you for your reply.
My estimate of 1000 comes from conversations with the dealership and something that was said to me by consumer affairs. If there are 159 independent dealerships in australia (number from a quick Google search, but i do not know if this is correct), and there were 5 or more at each (my dealership has 6 and tells me that they are one of the smaller ones, consumer affairs commented on another with 7 there), the 159 multiplied by 5 gives me 795. Potentially more. My estimate was 1000 off the road.
I may be wrong and even well off the mark, but I know I'm not the only one getting the run around and it's quite dishonorable the way it is being handled.
in my opinion anyway.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ribbs
Thank you for your reply.
My estimate of 1000 comes from conversations with the dealership and something that was said to me by consumer affairs. If there are 159 independent dealerships in australia (number from a quick Google search, but i do not know if this is correct), and there were 5 or more at each (my dealership has 6 and tells me that they are one of the smaller ones, consumer affairs commented on another with 7 there), the 159 multiplied by 5 gives me 795. Potentially more. My estimate was 1000 off the road.
I may be wrong and even well off the mark, but I know I'm not the only one getting the run around and it's quite dishonorable the way it is being handled.
in my opinion anyway.
wow.............. that is some serious none confirmed numbers... as in no documentation? Where are you production number for the specific model effected. That is what attorneys will consider when considering a class action suit? And you are not evcen close if those numbers went from fantasy to reality.

Ok well congratulation you have now posted more unsupported, unverified and more opinion for more internet wizard's to find and use.

I am sorry but dude your not being treated unfairly. Your post read clearly that a dealership is taking care of you. You are negative because it happened twice yet no real evidence of fault from anywhere including the owner(you) and because the privately owned independent business which is what dealerships are with only so many allotted or on hand available loaners vehicles didn't have one for you and it reads from you your MAZDA and the terms of the Mazda warranty which apparently is being taken care of sound/read more like poor me from you? .

Still don't know where you got the numbers because and I do question the accuracy of the information you did get pertaining to exactly the true number of Mazda diesel with the exact issue as yours. I believe if one were to research they would find those number may represent the number of diesels in for some sort of service and are simply being added together? We have a member on this forum that works at a Mazda dealership outside the US maybe he will post what's going on at his dealership?.

Personally I hate Diesels and don't work on them and the funny thing I am current L2 certified every 2 years for a few decades a few decades. They smell and sound like a running problem when there is none. LOL

I knew I should have stayed away from a thread having anything to do with a Deisel MAZDA.....

Good luck with your Mazda I am confident your Mazda dealership will take care of your Mazda service needs. Afterall its still under Warranty. You should read the details about the coverage again.
I bet you could trade in your Mazda right now as it is wash your hands of it completely on a NEW 2024 Model!

Last edited by Callisto; 11-09-2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
wow.............. that is some serious none confirmed numbers... as in no documentation? Where are you production number for the specific model effected. That is what attorneys will consider when considering a class action suit? And you are not evcen close if those numbers went from fantasy to reality.

Ok well congratulation you have now posted more unsupported, unverified and more opinion for more internet wizard's to find and use.

I am sorry but dude your not being treated unfairly. Your post read clearly that a dealership is taking care of you. You are negative because it happened twice yet no real evidence of fault from anywhere including the owner(you) and because the privately owned independent business which is what dealerships are with only so many allotted or on hand available loaners vehicles didn't have one for you and it reads from you your MAZDA and the terms of the Mazda warranty which apparently is being taken care of sound/read more like poor me from you? .

Still don't know where you got the numbers because and I do question the accuracy of the information you did get pertaining to exactly the true number of Mazda diesel with the exact issue as yours. I believe if one were to research they would find those number may represent the number of diesels in for some sort of service and are simply being added together? We have a member on this forum that works at a Mazda dealership outside the US maybe he will post what's going on at his dealership?.

Personally I hate Diesels and don't work on them and the funny thing I am current L2 certified every 2 years for a few decades a few decades. They smell and sound like a running problem when there is none. LOL

I knew I should have stayed away from a thread having anything to do with a Deisel MAZDA.....

Good luck with your Mazda I am confident your Mazda dealership will take care of your Mazda service needs. Afterall its still under Warranty. You should read the details about the coverage again.
I bet you could trade in your Mazda right now as it is wash your hands of it completely on a NEW 2024 Model!

Thanks again for your reply. Numbers could absolutely be way off. I honestly have no idea. All I know is that this is clearly a very common problem that has put a lot of people out for extended periods of time as well some who have completely been denied the repair. I was simply asking questions around the situation that has presented. Yes, I am lucky that the motor will be repaired again. However I do feel I can still ask questions regarding why a car that I have owned since new has had the motor fail twice, when I was led to believe it was fixed following the recall. I do feel I can still ask questions regarding what other people in the same or similar situation have done.
Anyway, I'm here to hear other people's opinions and experiences so thank you for sharing yours. Enjoy your day.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ribbs
Thanks again for your reply. Numbers could absolutely be way off. I honestly have no idea. All I know is that this is clearly a very common problem that has put a lot of people out for extended periods of time as well some who have completely been denied the repair. I was simply asking questions around the situation that has presented. Yes, I am lucky that the motor will be repaired again. However I do feel I can still ask questions regarding why a car that I have owned since new has had the motor fail twice, when I was led to believe it was fixed following the recall. I do feel I can still ask questions regarding what other people in the same or similar situation have done.
Anyway, I'm here to hear other people's opinions and experiences so thank you for sharing yours. Enjoy your day.
My morning coffee and catch up before off to work and look my buddy is back again LOL
See it is all in the wording... in this example when you say "clearly a very common problem" which at this point there is nothing that documents this. You are simply express you personal opion because it effects you and are blind to real fact and empirical data to support this> Let me put it another way that you can understand.
MAZDA has a SAFETY Recall of the BCM (body control module) that "COULD" effect over 20 thousand Mazda's from approx. 2016-2018. It was apparently a defect in the manufacturing and could cause the wiper to quit working with no pre warning. Thats it! My Mazda was one that received the recall to replace the BCM. Every time I called to set an appointment all 3 dealerships in my area said I would need to leave the Mazda over night and however were sorry they had no loaner vehicle for me. This TSB and Safety notification was first sent to me in January 2019 one month after purchasing my 2018 Mazda. So to recap that meant that by Mazda production information on the effected models 20,000+ were included in the RECAL SAFTY notice. Yet here we are November 10 2023 and Mazda has yet to change my BCM and the wipers have long surpassed the infant mortality rate of electronics that could fail no fail period. That is not only documented number of possible failures but also MAZDA in a way like you may not have lived up to the best service to me. The closet Mazda dealership is 35 minutes away from me one way. Point..... I am not beetching about the service, nor that I was not offered a loaner.
As for why your diesel is experiencing the engine issue and you asking all I can say is you can ask all you want but from my understanding MAZDA has not established the reason yet so until they do and if ever they do sure you can ask but don't expect an answer that is empirical and directly from MAZDA.
Another example is the TSB for oil problem and the service is to replace the valve stem seals. There are numerous effect engine and many on Mazda owners on a few Mazda forums, yet MAZDA has not given documentation and epical information that states the exact cause only a TSB that seems to resolve the issue by replacing the valve stem seals with a new part number. BTW the new part numbers MAZDA has not given what the difference is between them and the old part number. Now in this case there are more effected engine then your very rough estimate of diesel engine head/engine gasket concerns? The procedure btw depending on the dealership can take 1-3 days based on the dealerships service departments scheduling. And again, not all the MAZDA owners that had to leave their MAZDA were provided a loaner.

The last part sharing experience is not what you are doing... really? Anyone reading it can clearly understand your frustration with your MAZDA but in the end, MAZDA is taking care of it. Its just not how you want them to do it and that would be your expressing feeling and opinions but not how it works ITRW (In The Real World) And to point out one more time MAZDA is serving your engine at no charge and HONORING the WARRANTY.

Your turn...
Have a great day!

Last edited by Callisto; 11-10-2023 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues