Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 03:53 AM
Default CX5 Diesel engine issues

Hi Guys ... wondering how many of you have had issues or engine replacements with your CX5 2.2 diesel.

I recently had an issue with mine and when I took it to the dealer they said it was probably a blown motor coz they've had a few... hmmmm mine is an 2015 make... wondering if they were referring to the older models.

As it was it was a minor issue that they corrected... but now I'm worried about the long term viabilty of my much loved CX5 after the warantee runs out in 6 months.

Any comments welcome !

PS. car has 60000km on it and had an easy life with lots of country driving.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

They are a troublesome motor.

We replace 1 at our dealership about every two weeks.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:56 AM

What he said.^^^ We know that in the US and we haven't even gotten the engine yet!

Old 03-06-2018, 05:48 PM

Thanks Guys ... Sigh ... time for an exit plan... should have bought the petrol model.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by mirboocx5
Thanks Guys ... Sigh ... time for an exit plan... should have bought the petrol model.
Yeah. After giving back my Golf TDI after the VW diesel scandal, I swore never to go back to diesel again. Also from the news, looks like some towns in Germany are now banning diesel cars from the town centers.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Yeah. After giving back my Golf TDI after the VW diesel scandal, I swore never to go back to diesel again. Also from the news, looks like some towns in Germany are now banning diesel cars from the town centers.
The worst car I ever owned was a 1981 Wabbit Diesel. It blew head gaskets more often than some people change their socks.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Angry

In taiwan, there are a lot of mazda owners have some serious issues of engine overheating , gasket and the water coolant serious leak.
. As a discussion, mazda still observing the root cause. but many people think it is engine hardware design failure.
Customers don't want the software update(ECU power downgrade) solution because it will lose some engine power!

some facebook links:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cx5sos/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CX5LDS/
if you have such problems, please join us, or Mazda won't focus on customer rights!

video (engine overheat!):
Facebook Post

Last edited by gasket; 09-22-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Super common issue is faulty radiator caps, they bleed all the coolant into the overflow bottle, overflowing it, then it doesn't suck the coolant back into the radiator when it cools down.

Top up the coolant, pressure test both the radiator & the radiator cap. I replaced a cap on friday during a normal service.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 AM
Default Cx5 engine overheat

Did you get any indication that your engine was overheating?

Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM

Hi, looking for some help

I have a 2013 CX-5 with the head gasket issue, car was only serviced by Mazda on the first service and has been serviced by a mechanic every since, however 1 service was missed.

Car has 160k klm, has anyone had any luck getting mazda to cover the costs of the engine replacement even though it wasn't serviced by them?

My understanding is the engine is not fit for purpose and it's a known issue with the earlier CX-5, I just wanted to see if there is anyone else had a similar experience before I take it into Mazda.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues