Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Transmission flush or complete change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by JD2
According to my mechanic, pulling the pan and using sealant when replacing it is the problem. If a bit of the RTV sealant breaks off it can clog a solenoid or lubrication passage. He has seen enough transmissions where this has happened that he doesn't recommend that it be done at all, especially by DYI'ers. Take it easy on the tranny and it will last without lube changes.
I don't use or really recommend the use of sealers. However if one does use a sealer and follows the proper procedure in other words read the tube how to use the product there should be no reason not to use it. Also there is NO windage in the pan fluid, so I find it an interesting theory your "mechanic" has about the use of sealer. Maybe he never saw a flow chart on where the oil first goes starting from the pan? Sealer was used on thousands of transmission by DIY for decades and really very few ever damaged a transmission. Also very few 'mechanics' would actually rebuild transmissions for customers because many times special tools required to have to do a rebuild and the cost is generally greater then a mechanic or shop purchasing a rebuilt transmission and doing a basic R&R.

On some Mazda transmissions there is one pan bolt that needs sealer. Many don't know this and with the use of sealer you will get a very very very small leak.

Last edited by Callisto; 06-09-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:11 PM

So my mechanic says lifetime fluid and won't change the tranny fluid or touch it at all . Dealer will do a fluid change only but won't drop the pan as they don't want to be responsible for leaks. Even though I've done pan drops on other vehicles, Im not comfortable with using sealant on a warrantied vehicle.
Since I don't want to mess with rtv either and risk voiding the warranty , getting the rtv in the transmission or have leaks, have decide to just change the fluid myself without a pan drop.

​​​​​​Are the Aisin MFZ or Ravenol FZ acceptable substitutes for Mazda FZ? Does Aisin make Mazda FZ?

Also, will extra magnets on outside of tranny pan help since I'm not changing the filter and cleaning the pan ? How about magnetic drain plugs? Steel or aluminum ?

Last edited by kilroy22; 06-10-2023 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2023, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by kilroy22
So my mechanic says lifetime fluid and won't change the tranny fluid or touch it at all . Dealer will do a fluid change only but won't drop the pan as they don't want to be responsible for leaks. Even though I've done pan drops on other vehicles, Im not comfortable with using sealant on a warrantied vehicle.
Since I don't want to mess with rtv either and risk voiding the warranty , getting the rtv in the transmission or have leaks, have decide to just change the fluid myself without a pan drop.

​​​​​​Are the Aisin MFZ or Ravenol FZ acceptable substitutes for Mazda FZ? Does Aisin make Mazda FZ?

Also, will extra magnets on outside of tranny pan help since I'm not changing the filter and cleaning the pan ? How about magnetic drain plugs? Steel or aluminum ?
Your response IMHP is ridicules' and flawed in armchair theory of a good service.

NO...................... adding additional magnets outside the pan if you don't plan to pro the pan is really a waste of time. There ar at least 9 other none magnetic material in transmission then can wear with the life of the transmission and also dump a butt load during the first 15k miles of service. .

I have NEVER read or herd of a 'mechanic" refusing to do a common service. LOL
The dealer as well if you asked them they most would still perform the service. It is just not a scheduled service by Mazda.

You can use a gasket only as I have stated and YES you will need to use about an drop of seal on one pan bolt just like MAZDA did!! LOL

If you are only going to change the fluid in the pan I suppose that would be considered a physical exercise because unless you at least do an initial pan a pan fluid and filter change what's the point?
The dilution method really does not work as so many claim.

Bottom line what a waste of time to change the fluid only in new transmission.

I hope other that read this also read the provided thread below because it applies to your response!

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 06-10-2023, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Your response IMHP is ridicules' and flawed in armchair theory of a good service.

NO...................... adding additional magnets outside the pan if you don't plan to pro the pan is really a waste of time. There ar at least 9 other none magnetic material in transmission then can wear with the life of the transmission and also dump a butt load during the first 15k miles of service. .

I have NEVER read or herd of a 'mechanic" refusing to do a common service. LOL
The dealer as well if you asked them they most would still perform the service. It is just not a scheduled service by Mazda.

You can use a gasket only as I have stated and YES you will need to use about an drop of seal on one pan bolt just like MAZDA did!! LOL

If you are only going to change the fluid in the pan I suppose that would be considered a physical exercise because unless you at least do an initial pan a pan fluid and filter change what's the point?
The dilution method really does not work as so many claim.

Bottom line what a waste of time to change the fluid only in new transmission.

I hope other that read this also read the provided thread below because it applies to your response!

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums
You assume every mechanic and dealership is like you. I get it, you enjoy working on vehicles are knowledgeable and talented and most likely younger.

However, my mechanic would rather not be bothered and seems to be moving towards just inspections and brake pads as he gets older.
Who can blame someone for just wanting to do the gravy work? Plus he doesn't want to fool with the transmissions.

As far as the dealer, yes, they don't want to do a pan drop. They will only do a drain and fill... which i can do myself. I don't have time to mess with pan removal and sealant and was willing to pay for the service...but apparently it seems they too want the gravy work without the liability of leaks during the warranty period.

I may try to contact a few other mechanics or dealers but not knowing the new mechanic, who's to know if they really change the filter, etc.?? It's hard to switch mechanics/dealers when you already have trust in your mechanic and your dealer.

And thank you for your informative response...Based on your response, I researched and it appears that there is now a filter that comes with a pan gasket so no rtv needed. But again, how will Mazda handle a powertrain failure if one drops the pan?? One has to think about these scenarios and the likely drawbacks.
​​​​​​Unfortunately, i may be stuck with just a drain and fill until the warranty expires even if it's an exercise in futility.
I understand your response in a thorough pan drop with filter and fluid change to get the best possible results, however sometimes we have to deal with the cards we were dealt, i.e. worry how an owner pan drop will affect warranty versus the dealer pan drop.

Last edited by kilroy22; 06-10-2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2023, 01:24 PM

I'll have Mazda change the fluid according to their maintenance schedule.
It's what I've done with every vehicle I've owned, and I've never had an issue.
Except for the two-speed tranny in my used 1966 Lemans, the first car I ever purchased for myself.
I blew one tranny and was losing a second before I discovered the 326 engine had been replaced with a 400 HO GTO engine which required a 3-speed transmission.
Amazing what that engine would do with the correct transmission and tuning.

Old 06-10-2023, 02:12 PM

You broke a power glide... and almost 2..

We use to joke about how UNBREAKABLE using them in the performance applications even without a performance build and running super high stall converters.

moving along....

As for doing a transmission service and the transmission failing, the WARRATY would completely cover the transmission unless by way of documentation and proof the auto manufacture can provide that the transmission failed due to a filter and pan serving. Never going to ever happen!!!! And as far as I am aware NEVER HAS!

As far as what I like to do for servicing.... not really except on my own vehicles I do like the "you enjoy working on vehicles are knowledgeable and talented and most likely younger" comment.

Last edited by Callisto; 06-10-2023 at 02:16 PM.