Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Transmission flush or complete change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 11:50 PM
Default CX-5 Transmission flush or complete change?

I drained my automatic transmission on my CX-5 and filter. But just changing half seems kind of incomplete. There has to be a way you and suck all the fluid out. All I have seen is that you have to change fluid several times. Gets expensive to say the least. And Ideas. Maybe through the cooler?

Last edited by grim_reaper; 10-17-2022 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2022, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by theautopartsman
I drained my automatic transmission on my CX-5 and filter. But just changing half seems kinda incomplete. There has to be a way you and suck all the fluid out. All I have seen is that you have to change fluid several times. Gets expensive to say the least. And Ideas. Maybe through the cooler?
I recommend that you simply do another pan fluid change at 5k miles and also to send in a sample of your fluid to be analyzed.
Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

The service you are contemplating should ONLY be done be a shop that has a Professional Transmission Service Equipment. It is possible that attempting to do a DIY complete fluid replacement could damage your transmission. Most shops charge about 150.00-350.00 for this procedure. But because of the cost it would be better to go with an analysis first you may find that the only thing you need to do is a couple of fluid pan service and maybe 1 more pan and filter service to go another 50k miles before the next service?

Most all analysis done between 25-50k shows break in lubricants, and metal material. This remaining circulated through the transmission until you get a couple of pan filter and fluid services. That is why it is really important in maintaining the best operation of your transmission to get a pan filter and fluid service at 50k miles. The filter in the most transmission do not catch all the material that get circulated, and a lot of material settles and collect at the bottom of the pan during it service life.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:32 PM

Several YouTube videos showing the procedure. A bit more fiddly than most American transmissions but
still doable in your garage or driveway. Mazda approved transmission fluid is available, if you know the
'type', on Amazon and perhaps local auto parts stores.

My 2¢

Old 10-17-2022, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Several YouTube videos showing the procedure. A bit more fiddly than most American transmissions but
still doable in your garage or driveway. Mazda approved transmission fluid is available, if you know the
'type', on Amazon and perhaps local auto parts stores.

My 2¢
Yes nd many of those video's are why there are many transmission that have problems but those same people making the How-to video don't come back and say "ops maybe I should not have done this?

As for getting high mileage without a transmission service... sure you can go the distance, the odd's are more in your favor because of the sheer number of production levls but why take a chance. It may only be preventive maintainese and peace of mind both of wich goes a long way. I am sure a few of can sight examples as well have our own of parts we have replaced just because we wanted to make sure the trip was not going to have problems.

Dismissing information from an oil analysis that could save you thousands of dollars or just preventing you from having a breakdown is just interesting thinking and not the most sound advise.
On several forum not just Mazda it is already now a common practice to get engine and oil analyzed and is a valuable tool to checking the health of bot powertrain major parts.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:24 PM

Yes nd many of those video's are why there are many transmission that have problems but those same people making the How-to video don't come back and say "ops maybe I should not have done this?
You could, of course, go and review each of those videos and then explain what they did wrong and what happens when and if
they do as they have. We all know you have an obsession of criticizing the opinions or methods of others that differ from yours.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
You could, of course, go and review each of those videos and then explain what they did wrong and what happens when and if
they do as they have. We all know you have an obsession of criticizing the opinions or methods of others that differ from yours.
No I don't only that when there are many that do it wrong and post video as if it is correct...

And really it is not my methods or information that differ from mine but facts and the correct way to do things. lol Big difference!

If you want to be like a Raphus cucullatus and follow them fine. But if you post any on a thread I have already responded with information that is first and foremost empirical or at least verifiable as correct then YA I may respond to nonsense Dennis. LOL
Let me put it another way.... ther are many good DIY that I respect as friends and also members on various forums. But you ask any of them that have automatic transmission if they ever rebuilt one I would guess 1 out of 100 would say yes and the rest would say "NO WAY" they are to complicated. What does that tell you? Check it. In virtually any decade of DIY most all will not want or attempt to rebuild an automatic transmission?
So why then a lame and possibly problematic inducing methods of attempting to change the complete fluid be suspect by some like myself as the WRONG THING TO DO. Exactly how can any one of those methods adjust for the different fluid pressure to insure a complete replacement of the fluid. OPS they cant. LOL
The mistake most think is you can tap in at the cooler lines and use a makeshift electric pump to do the job. Unfortunate what this often does if push contaminates that will not be captured by the filter nor will it be replaced with clean new fluid. Depending on what that material is could be forced to rest in vital operational area's of the valve body and also oil fluid passages that potentially can be the start of what will be a problem in the future.
So go right ahead and use those DIY Mcgiver videos on your own vehicles but really dude trying to dismiss my responses all the time. I ma far from a DIY wouldn't you say? LOL

Now TOOT TOOT my horn... I have and still do when need use a tranny dyno to test transmission OEM stock and performance. I also have modified automatic with custom one on performance parts a on a few plat forms. Not to mention I personally built my automatic transmission and machined many parts for my SuperGas Camaro that build oh... about 1200+ Horse Power. LOL So what do I know. LOL

On my own personal Mazda I milled up an adapter plate and by-passed the OPEM cooler to lower the operating temperatures of the transmission.
Speaking of.... Mada automatics run about the same temperatures as the coolant level. This temperature is and has proven not to be the best for automatic transmission. The temperature the average daily driver trans is 195F-200F + and a can reach 220f+ in the summer running the AC. This is NOT even talking about towing or a full passenger load either. The best temperature for the overall best health of any automatic is about 30-40 degrees cooler with optimal at about 160-180f with near problematic temperatures above 220F.l
What have you done concerning any automatic transmissions?

Last edited by Callisto; 10-17-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:15 PM

Gee, it's hard to believe that ALL those that put a video of them changing the transmission fluid are doing it
wrong.(according to you).
I've watched several of those videos and see nothing particularly wrong with what they do. Correct filter and approved
fluid. Again, what are they doing incorrect?
It's common knowledge that a FLUSH is not the best way so that's not what any of the videos are advocating or doing.
As for my experience with transmissions, I've changed filter and fluid on many transmissions with no problems after.
Mostly GM products, both rear drive and front drive. I've changed a torque converter on one and installed an external
cooler for the transmission. Again, with no problems. I'm no expert but I have consulted real experts that work on
transmissions for a living (many years).
An oil analysis all well and good if that is of interest to the owner. I'll wager that there are millions of owner's and vehicles
that don't bother and have no problems.

Old 10-17-2022, 05:46 PM

Gee Dennis what can I say let put in words you hate to read but constantly insult me about. Those are DIY or amateurs , or at best mostly poor mechanics likely had little to no real training and learned on the job. While there is nothing wrong with that at some point procedure published by these individual's come into suspect of the best procedure. So here it comes you have yup an EXPERT that is educated and trained with years of hands-on experience and holds a butt load of certification to post on a forum that they are (most of them) doing a procedure that is not the best and may actually in the long run cause issues. Look at a Torque converter and how it works then go look at your cherished fluid changing video's/ LOL

That would be ME Dennis. LOL

Now go back and re-read what I posted about doing a proper method of fluid replacement see if you can learn something? Then consider what might happen when you use some of those video methods connecting a nonadjustable fluid pump at the cooling line and think you are exchanging all the old fluid for new?

BTW there is at least one mechanic that has great video's and I have often indorsed them.

Last edited by Callisto; 10-17-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:01 PM

We all know you consider yourself the one and only real expert. But some of those videos are my experienced garages and
at least experienced mechanics. The procedure is the same for most all of those videos, at least the several I've viewed.
Some of us know that there are often more ways than one to do most procedures including transmission fluid changes.
NONE of them claim that they are changing ALL the fluid, some say exactly that. I know how a TC works, I've seem them
cut open. How would that change anything?
Don't let the certificates on the wall go to your head. OOPS! to late.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:20 PM

An easy problem to solve. I added him to my ignore list a long time ago.

Quick Reply: CX-5 Transmission flush or complete change?