Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 build quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mandyman45
thanks for your feedback! I do like the following about the CX-5:

- Styling, it looks sharp, no doubt about it
- Interior equipment is generous for the price
- Towing is decent at 2000 lbs, way better than the ridiculous 1500 lbs of some SUVs like the Acura RDX
- Gas mileage is superb, this is a major plus

What I do not like:
- On cursory examination build quality didn't seem up to par with Honda or Toyota but only in the rear cargo area, the dash area seemed good, this may be nit-picking but I am particular that way
- Stereo - I have heard the stereo is bad but I have not been able to test it out, the mazda dealerships here seem less than enthusiastic about letting me do a thorough analysis of the vehicle, I refuse to buy a $30k vehicle without checking it out thoroughly
- Nav system is not too good, from what I've read - I have not used it myself, but I would like to know just how bad it is
- Unlockable glove box (sometimes I would like to lock this, for example when giving to a Valet etc.) I do not think it's a minor detail and i'm not sure how it can be fixed
- Non-chrome handles (nit-picking again) but I would've wished a few nicer touches on the top of the line models like chrome door handles

Have you considered renting one for a weekend?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 AM

I bought a 2014 CX5 on 3/22/13. 625 miles on it now. I'll be honest that i'm not as happy with it as i thought it would be.
PROS:
--Love the ride. It handles like a car. Nice pickup and the handling is awesome.
--I was able to get leather and moon roof for what Ford was offering their escape with cloth and no moon roof.
-- Looks great especially the rear. The Escape looks like a small mini-van. Love the exterior of the CX5.
-- I know some people have been complaining about theTomTom Nav system but i like it. No problems at all
CONS
-- The stereo is a joke. Pathetic. Most of the sound comes from the front center speaker. Tried making adjustments with fading, etc but the quality just isn't there. another couple hundred dollars and it could have been much better. Not good Mazda
-- The touchscreen is too small and it should have smudge free surface. ridiculous how the fingerprints show up all over the screen at certain times of the day
-- The on board electronics are not up to the level of Ford's Escape. I have my IPOD NANO hooked up and every time the car is started instead of continuing where you left off when you turned the engine off, the IPOD starts in alphabetical order. I had a 2011 Ford Fusion that had easier and more user friendly electronics. Sometimes, the song displayed on screen isnt the song that is playing. Pandora...works half the time.
-- Very aggravating buzzing that seems to be coming from the left front speaker area. Can only hear it when i have sound muted or when switching from one song to another.
-- My dashboard info says im only getting 21.2 MPG when i hear everybody else say they are getting 27 plus. Im going to figure out my gas mileage the old fashion way on next fill up but i only have 600 miles on the thing and i've already put at least 24 gallons of gas in it so that's 25mpg. Different than what the display reads.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Have you considered renting one for a weekend?
I have considered this, and found it to be impossible. I'll be overjoyed if you can prove me wrong.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by mandyman45
thanks for your feedback! I do like the following about the CX-5:

- Styling, it looks sharp, no doubt about it
- Interior equipment is generous for the price
- Towing is decent at 2000 lbs, way better than the ridiculous 1500 lbs of some SUVs like the Acura RDX
- Gas mileage is superb, this is a major plus
Indeed!

What I do not like:
- On cursory examination build quality didn't seem up to par with Honda or Toyota but only in the rear cargo area, the dash area seemed good, this may be nit-picking but I am particular that way
the middle section of the rear seat isn't as solid as .. say my Volvo.. but it's not like it's barely attached.

- Stereo - I have heard the stereo is bad but I have not been able to test it out, the mazda dealerships here seem less than enthusiastic about letting me do a thorough analysis of the vehicle, I refuse to buy a $30k vehicle without checking it out thoroughly
The stereo is quite good for non-luxury car. Ummm... If they're not letting you check it out.. maybe there's something wrong (and not with the car)..
- Nav system is not too good, from what I've read - I have not used it myself, but I would like to know just how bad it is
Nav system is TomTom. It has middle of nowhere (where we live currently) in spades, and has good routes.
- Unlockable glove box (sometimes I would like to lock this, for example when giving to a Valet etc.) I do not think it's a minor detail and i'm not sure how it can be fixed
- Non-chrome handles (nit-picking again) but I would've wished a few nicer touches on the top of the line models like chrome door handles
Umm...

Have you even looked at a CX-5? All CX-5s are push start.

If the key is in the car, it can be started and driven.

You leave the car running for the valet, he can drive it to where it's going. It won't start again unless you (the key) are back in the car again.

Besides anyone could pry open a glovebox with fewer tools or effort than it took to get into the car...

Good troll, OP.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:09 PM

I don't get the bumper thing? I have a 2014 in stormy blue and except for the bumper guard its the same color as the rest of the car.

Also, I love the stereo (I have the bose one) and if you play your music through the blue tooth (that is how I hooked up my iPhone) than it doesn't restart every time you restart the car.