Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 build quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Default CX-5 build quality

I am considering the CX-5 for my next vehicle so I went to the dealership to check one out today...the Grand Touring with the tech package. I was quite disappointed to find out that the build quality is less than great - especially the rear seat center back does not align well and the plastics at the rear are of a poor quality. Is this typical? Also, why isn't the rear bumper body colored on the Grand Touring? I also asked the sales guy why the glove box cannot be locked and he was quite stunned by this as well...is this an omission?

Also, how is the acceleration of this vehicle going uphill with 2 passengers? What about cruising at 75-80mph and the road noise? The navigation screen seems pretty tiny as well, i've heard bad things about usability but I will have to check it out.

How is the BOSE music system?

Other than these issues I really like the vehicle, but the above may be dealbreakers not sure yet

Last edited by mandyman45; 04-18-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 PM

good god, no cx-5 owner has any comments? I guess there is not much enthusiasm about this vehicle even among owners? that's pretty sad.

2013 Honda CRV-V AWD EX-L w/Navi - $28,464 (Trucar)
2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring with Tech - $30,113

almost $2000 than a comparably equippled CRV, what is Mazda thinking?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Default Love My Mazda

Since you have obviously made up your mind that the Mazda wasn't for you, why should anyone try to tell you differently? That's exactly why Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. make this type of vehicle, so everyone can get what they like. Hope you find a great automobile for YOU. I know the Mazda was a great fit for me :-)

Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfnaz
Since you have obviously made up your mind that the Mazda wasn't for you, why should anyone try to tell you differently? That's exactly why Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. make this type of vehicle, so everyone can get what they like. Hope you find a great automobile for YOU. I know the Mazda was a great fit for me :-)
Agreed.

The original poster comes back within 24 hours, and answers his own post. This is not the most subscribed of the Mazda forums, and yet an immediate response is expected.

As an owner, I spent 9 Months researching and trying other makes. Settled on the Mazda although was dearer on all the competition I tried except the VW Tiguan, and despite a 3 month waiting list.

Fantastic car, and every excuse where I can drive it, I take up.

Only down side....... TomTom.

Patience is a virtue.

Alex

Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 PM

well, I made some negative observations...I was hoping Mazda owners can debate those arguments and tell me what convinced them to buy the vehicle and how the omissions I listed are affecting them in the real world.

There is a lot to like in the CX-5, otherwise I would not even post this message. Other vehicles have their flaws too.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:38 PM

Good lord, glove box lock? Haven't seen one of those since the 70s, have had mine for almost a month and my wife and I both love it. We traded in a 2011 Hyundai...that company has some real issues. The rear bumper not being fully painted is a plus as in other cars we've had with painted bumpers have gotten scratched while loading and unloading. We drive with 2 grandchildren in the back, acceleration is no issue, it's good, gas mileage is averaging about 28 mpg. If you don't like it don't buy it. It's by far one of the better put together vehicles I've driven.

Last edited by madar; 04-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by madar
If you don't like it don't buy it. It's by far one of the better put together vehicles I've driven.
thanks for your feedback! I do like the following about the CX-5:

- Styling, it looks sharp, no doubt about it
- Interior equipment is generous for the price
- Towing is decent at 2000 lbs, way better than the ridiculous 1500 lbs of some SUVs like the Acura RDX
- Gas mileage is superb, this is a major plus

What I do not like:
- On cursory examination build quality didn't seem up to par with Honda or Toyota but only in the rear cargo area, the dash area seemed good, this may be nit-picking but I am particular that way
- Stereo - I have heard the stereo is bad but I have not been able to test it out, the mazda dealerships here seem less than enthusiastic about letting me do a thorough analysis of the vehicle, I refuse to buy a $30k vehicle without checking it out thoroughly
- Nav system is not too good, from what I've read - I have not used it myself, but I would like to know just how bad it is
- Unlockable glove box (sometimes I would like to lock this, for example when giving to a Valet etc.) I do not think it's a minor detail and i'm not sure how it can be fixed
- Non-chrome handles (nit-picking again) but I would've wished a few nicer touches on the top of the line models like chrome door handles

Last edited by mandyman45; 04-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mandyman45
thanks for your feedback! I do like the following about the CX-5:

- Styling, it looks sharp, no doubt about it
- Interior equipment is generous for the price
- Towing is decent at 2000 lbs, way better than the ridiculous 1500 lbs of some SUVs like the Acura RDX
- Gas mileage is superb, this is a major plus

What I do not like:
- On cursory examination build quality didn't seem up to par with Honda or Toyota but only in the rear cargo area, the dash area seemed good, this may be nit-picking but I am particular that way
- Stereo - I have heard the stereo is bad but I have not been able to test it out, the mazda dealerships here seem less than enthusiastic about letting me do a thorough analysis of the vehicle, I refuse to buy a $30k vehicle without checking it out thoroughly
- Nav system is not too good, from what I've read - I have not used it myself, but I would like to know just how bad it is
- Unlockable glove box (sometimes I would like to lock this, for example when giving to a Valet etc.) I do not think it's a minor detail and i'm not sure how it can be fixed
- Non-chrome handles (nit-picking again) but I would've wished a few nicer touches on the top of the line models like chrome door handles
The stereo is decent. I don't have the Bose system, but I find the standard one more than adequate. I'm 52 years old, so I don't need Carnegie Hall in my car.
I drove Toyotas for 25 years, including an 06 and 07 Corolla, I don't see any quality differences, and the stereo is way better than the ones found in those cars.
Agreed, before spending that kind of money, you should give it a thorough examination.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Not missing glove box lock. Bose stereo is just adequate, it would be nice to have subwoofers (I'm over 50, not that it matters). The lack of chrome door handles is good IMO and intentionally done by Mazda stylists. Rear cargo area finish is as good as Mercedes, not quite as good as Lexus.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:18 AM

i have put 15k miles on my cx 5. to maybe answer your questions, i think the mazda quality is on par or maybe a bit above on whats out there now days. this care loves 80mph on the interstate she fly's quite well. i avg 27mpg. the only thing i have not liked is the first gear it takes some getting use to it changes from 1st to 2nd gear (imo) at the wrong rpm it can and does get annoying if you are at low speeds and let off the gas and get back on it. over all it is a peppy car for the motor size. i think you might enjoy it. if you want a superb quality car your looking in the wrong price range. good luck and i hope this helps.

Quick Reply: CX-5 build quality