Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other options for a CX 5 Turbo oil filter other than the Mazda brand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 05:59 PM

one can simply look at the specification on the oil pumps.....

Old 09-01-2022, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
one can simply look at the specification on the oil pumps.....
Doubt what the oil pump differences, if any, matters.
"And NO most DIY DO NOT KNOW how oil filters work. LOL There really is more going on with many types than just filtering..."
I beg to differ, I've yet to meat anyone who doesn't have the basic understanding of how an oil filter works.
An oil filter filters the oil (DUH), it also holds contaminants. Not all filters have ADBVs; Mazda's do not. and some don't
have bypass valves. That's about it for oil filters.

My 2¢

Old 09-02-2022, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Doubt what the oil pump differences, if any, matters.
"And NO most DIY DO NOT KNOW how oil filters work. LOL There really is more going on with many types than just filtering..."
I beg to differ, I've yet to meat anyone who doesn't have the basic understanding of how an oil filter works.
An oil filter filters the oil (DUH), it also holds contaminants. Not all filters have ADBVs; Mazda's do not. and some don't
have bypass valves. That's about it for oil filters.

My 2¢
Really you just outlined a cop out response by now clarifying your responses by using the wording and I quote you " basic understanding"!

as for the oil pump or oil pumps in general ....
Its not the pump construction but the specification of performance. .

... on some other MAZDA forums (un-named) the argument/debate that the MAZDA oil filter having a separate OEM number from a Turbo different from a NA and a top aftermarket oil filter company having only one part application number for both engine inductive systems is wrong and not to use them! Yet for some of us looking into and at the engineering designs of both MAZDA oil filters and all the MAZDA provided data and it appears that fundamentally they are the same for most applications and it would seem only for the purpose of numbering for stocking and inventory control and purchasing the biggest differences on the filters. But then we open the pandora's box about how and why OEM parts are part numbered. LOL

Its really pointless because if I ask a question that someone on a forum does not know the answer, they run to the internet to find the "HERO" answer anyway.

Honestly it doesn't matter if people are at least using the manufacture application guide. And I am for now down debating this point with you. It is a ping pong debate anyway with 2 not having the same frame of reference, to be descriptively kind.

Last edited by Callisto; 09-02-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AUGM1
So, I'm guessing there is no real difference between the turbo and non turbo filter?

There is a difference, I believe the Turbo filter is designed for higher oil pressure.

Mazda wouldn't go to the effort & costs to design a oil filter for the turbo engine if the non turbo filter would suffice.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
There is a difference, I believe the Turbo filter is designed for higher oil pressure.

Mazda wouldn't go to the effort & costs to design a oil filter for the turbo engine if the non turbo filter would suffice.
Hard to say. Mazda, like most MFGs are mum about the filter specs. As both have the same gauge cans and the same center tube,
the only real difference would or could be in the efficiency of the cellulose media. Perhaps the bypass valve has a different rating.
Fram and most/all other filter makes list the same filter for either engine.
I use the oversize Fram TG or XG7317 filter as it's like better filtering and better flowing than the factory filter.
Some manufacturers, and some filter makers, have two sources for their products. For example, AC makes their own filters but they also
have Champ Labs make filters for them. Quaker State and Pennzoil are part of the same company, Their filters are made by different filter
makers. Fram makes one, and Purolator makes the other. I don't recall which one makes which filter.

My 2¢

Last edited by Dennis Wendt; 09-06-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Hard to say. Mazda, like most MFGs are mum about the filter specs. As both have the same gauge cans and the same center tube,
the only real difference would or could be in the efficiency of the cellulose media. Perhaps the bypass valve has a different rating.
Fram and most/all other filter makes list the same filter for either engine.
I use the oversize Fram TG or XG7317 filter as it's like better filtering and better flowing than the factory filter.
Some manufacturers, and some filter makers, have two sources for their products. For example, AC makes their own filters but they also
have Champ Labs make filters for them. Quaker State and Pennzoil are part of the same company, Their filters are made by different filter
makers. Fram makes one, and Purolator makes the other. I don't recall which one makes which filter.

My 2¢

Most of your information in this response is pretty good but I am wondering where you got your information on how filters are designed from the aftermarket. I might add that MAZDA does not hold secret their filter specification engineering (if any really are) specification? I use to request and get them from various auto manufactures when needed through one of my automotive related businesses.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
Adding to my previous responses and NOT responding to any member ...
Mobil 1 information data for any oil filter having to do with the Skyactiv gas engines comes directly from MAZDA. Both for the gas Turbo and gas N/A oil filter specification. Thier engineering department completely established that their filter and to offer one part number for both boosted and NA engine would work. They concluded that MAZDA oil filter part number change for a Turbocharged gas engine performance levels in the design of the oil filter was not changed even the volume which would be more concern than pressure on a turbocharged system using the engine sump for lubrication and heat control. The physical changes did NOT affect the performance levels and Mobil 1 tested both filter before entering their application update. I believe talking to FRAM that they did the same thing as Mobil 1. This all can be verified by contacting Mobil 1, if anyone is really interested or is in doubt of what to use from them. When this question came up on another forum a while ago, I contacted Mobil 1 and Fram.
I am sure if anyone contact MAZDA crop Global and spend some time going through several departments you will finally get the department that you can verify information pertaining to the oil filter application and part numbering updates, superseded and any cautionary information. FYI Dealership DO NOT usually keep up on all this information and you will likely waste your time trying to call one to get the most accurate information?
Also, I believe that in the near future if you look at the MASTER Mazda OEM interchange and superseded parts number you may find that they do overlap each other? This would also be an indication that there is no difference other than part number between them?

The funny thing is oil filter questions and parts number to correctly use from MAZDA has been a concerned question with MAZDA a few times in the last 5-7 years. Ya see they keep changing part numbers. Yet NONE were deemed a NOT TO USE on some model gas Turbocharged and N/A engines publicly, TSB or Service parts advisor?
Specifically, there are NO TSB warning not to use a non turbo OEM Mazda oil filter on a Turbocharged gas engine that I am aware of. Nor do any of the service procedure labor rate programs like ALLDATA have any cautionary updates. That I am aware of at least as of last year late? Frankly it does not interest me to research it as I already know what I recommend and use with confidence.
In the aftermarket world ......
There is no Performance spin on oil filter upgrade system for a OEM engine or individual part WARNING not to use or to use a specific oil filter other than the basic thread pattern and BY-pass or none by-pass valve by suppliers (including OE).
On a engineering and or technical end having to do with top brand and OEM oil filters for gas engines.....
Most top brand oil filters are rated at extremely high oil pressure operation that exceed many OEM filter, even the use of high volume and high-pressure oil pumps for gas engines about 200%.

However, as I said that important thing when choosing any oil filter when upgrading the engines lubrication system is the volume capacity not really the oil pressure bursting pressure of the canister of the oil filer chosen.

Last edited by Callisto; 09-06-2022 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:53 PM

Most of your information in this response is pretty good but I am wondering where you got your information on how filters are designed from the aftermarket. I might add that MAZDA does not hold secret their filter specification engineering (if any really are) specification? I use to request and get them from various auto manufactures when needed through one of my automotive related businesses
Perhaps Mazda passes their filter specs to you due to your businesses. I haven't found anything readily available about their
efficiency or their bypass specs.
As to my sources, I get information from the filter manufacturer web sits, Like 'whip city wrencher', there are folks that take filters apart for examination.
In some cases, retail venders have specifications in or on their catalogs or web sites. Rock Auto is one example. there are also OIL related sites that
are a source for much information.

My 2¢

Old 09-06-2022, 08:02 PM

I have no idea if using the OEM filter specified for the turbo has any real benefit or not, but it isn't all that expensive to just get the correct Mazda Filter. I bought 3 of the Mazda 1WPY-14-302 filters from Mazda Parts Direct for $34.03 back in January for my 2021 CX-5 2.5T. Shipping was almost half of that cost; you might actually do better at your dealer's parts counter but for me so much easier to buy online. I get 5 qt. jugs of Mobil-1 5W-30 for about $25 at Wal*Mart; total oil change cost under $40.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:51 PM
Default Oil change cx5

Originally Posted by cadcamjim
I have no idea if using the OEM filter specified for the turbo has any real benefit or not, but it isn't all that expensive to just get the correct Mazda Filter. I bought 3 of the Mazda 1WPY-14-302 filters from Mazda Parts Direct for $34.03 back in January for my 2021 CX-5 2.5T. Shipping was almost half of that cost; you might actually do better at your dealer's parts counter but for me so much easier to buy online. I get 5 qt. jugs of Mobil-1 5W-30 for about $25 at Wal*Mart; total oil change cost under $40.
Are you able to do cx5 2021 turbo oil change without raising the car on jacks? Thanks

Old 09-06-2022, 08:58 PM

Most of your information in this response is pretty good but I am wondering where you got your information on how filters are designed from the aftermarket. I might add that MAZDA does not hold secret their filter specification engineering (if any really are) specification? I use to request and get them from various auto manufactures when needed through one of my automotive related businesses.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
Adding to my previous responses and NOT responding to any member ...
Mobil 1 information data for any oil filter having to do with the Skyactiv gas engines comes directly from MAZDA. Both for the gas Turbo and gas N/A oil filter specification. Thier engineering department completely established that their filter and to offer one part number for both boosted and NA engine would work. They concluded that MAZDA oil filter part number change for a Turbocharged gas engine performance levels in the design of the oil filter was not changed even the volume which would be more concern than pressure on a turbocharged system using the engine sump for lubrication and heat control. The physical changes did NOT affect the performance levels and Mobil 1 tested both filter before entering their application update. I believe talking to FRAM that they did the same thing as Mobil 1. This all can be verified by contacting Mobil 1, if anyone is really interested or is in doubt of what to use from them. When this question came up on another forum a while ago, I contacted Mobil 1 and Fram.
I am sure if anyone contact MAZDA crop Global and spend some time going through several departments you will finally get the department that you can verify information pertaining to the oil filter application and part numbering updates, superseded and any cautionary information. FYI Dealership DO NOT usually keep up on all this information and you will likely waste your time trying to call one to get the most accurate information?
Also, I believe that in the near future if you look at the MASTER Mazda OEM interchange and superseded parts number you may find that they do overlap each other? This would also be an indication that there is no difference other than part number between them?

The funny thing is oil filter questions and parts number to correctly use from MAZDA has been a concerned question with MAZDA a few times in the last 5-7 years. Ya see they keep changing part numbers. Yet NONE were deemed a NOT TO USE on some model gas Turbocharged and N/A engines publicly, TSB or Service parts advisor?
Specifically, there are NO TSB warning not to use a non turbo OEM Mazda oil filter on a Turbocharged gas engine that I am aware of. Nor do any of the service procedure labor rate programs like ALLDATA have any cautionary updates. That I am aware of at least as of last year late? Frankly it does not interest me to research it as I already know what I recommend and use with confidence.
In the aftermarket world ......
There is no Performance spin on oil filter upgrade system for a OEM engine or individual part WARNING not to use or to use a specific oil filter other than the basic thread pattern and BY-pass or none by-pass valve by suppliers (including OE).
On a engineering and or technical end having to do with top brand and OEM oil filters for gas engines.....
Most top brand oil filters are rated at extremely high oil pressure operation that exceed many OEM filter, even the use of high volume and high-pressure oil pumps for gas engines about 200%.

However, as I said that important thing when choosing any oil filter when upgrading the engines lubrication system is the volume capacity not really the oil pressure bursting pressure of the canister of the oil filer chosen.

Mazda cx 5 2021 turbo oil filter Canada (August 2022). I purchased this for my 2.5L turbo Signature model. See oli filter part number in photo. Got from Mazda dealer along with $2 for aluminium washer. About $13- 14 Canadian $.
Why do people want to put in another brand when there all almost same price. The filter is really small.

Last edited by Mazdagus; 09-06-2022 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Any other options for a CX 5 Turbo oil filter other than the Mazda brand?