Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any other options for a CX 5 Turbo oil filter other than the Mazda brand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 05:21 PM
Default Any other options for a CX 5 Turbo oil filter other than the Mazda brand?

Getting tired of paying out the nose for a dealer oil change when I can do it myself for about 1/2 the price.
Anyway, my car is a 2021 Signature and all the local stores have is a Mobil 1 or maybe a Wix.
These generally good?

Old 08-31-2022, 05:44 PM

Both are good choices as is FRAM, K&N and AMSOIL oil filters to name top brand companies.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:00 PM

Using Fram and Mobil 1 from Walmart in all my cars since 1995, with
no issues.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by AUGM1
Getting tired of paying out the nose for a dealer oil change when I can do it myself for about 1/2 the price.
Anyway, my car is a 2021 Signature and all the local stores have is a Mobil 1 or maybe a Wix.
These generally good?
Most all Asian brands, Japanese or Korean, use the Fram 6607 size filter. The next oversize is the 7317 size
in the Fram line up. You can convert/cross reference to any brand you like. I'd stick with a major brand, and one
of the higher levels of efficiency in your favorite brand.
I've used the 7317 Fram for the last couple of oil changes with no problems.

My 2¢

Old 09-01-2022, 12:21 PM

This shows what's inside a Mazda filter. The two Mazda filters, one for NA engines and one for Turbo
engines are similar if not identical except for country of origin.

Old 09-01-2022, 12:49 PM

LOL I really enjoy with a laugh all these DIY that take apart filters and post the worst technical information about them. ROLMAO!
Not to mention most all of them show the lack of how a oil filter really works.
I suppose if you are not changing your oil at least every 50,000 (fifty thousand miles) then maybe some of those videos might have some information for you .... LOL

The numerous videos I really think are full of BS are the filter comparisons done without flow benches and equipment to measure a control testing oil and even separate oil analysis of each of the subject oil filters???. LOL

I do not think I have yet read an actual claim in the last 4 decades of any oil filter causing cataclysmic engine damage and that oil filter company having to pay for a new engine. If so please post the information so I can stop posting that there are none so I can say "that one time" ..... LOL

Old 09-01-2022, 12:57 PM

However, the more we know about oil filters, their construction and so forth, the better decisions
we can make going forward. While not a problem in the US, there are a lot of FAKE, knock-offs, versions
of popular brands of oil filters. They don't filter well and don't hold as much contaminates.
Anyone who does their own oil changes likely know HOW an oil filter works.

My 2¢

Old 09-01-2022, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
However, the more we know about oil filters, their construction and so forth, the better decisions
we can make going forward. While not a problem in the US, there are a lot of FAKE, knock-offs, versions
of popular brands of oil filters. They don't filter well and don't hold as much contaminates.
Anyone who does their own oil changes likely know HOW an oil filter works.

My 2¢
Yup but that would be a lesson on how to read the container the filter came in and not by DIY dissecting an oil filter.

Not really going to debate or argue with other mentioned information. If you change your oil at least 5-7k miles unless you live in an extremely dust environment even the low quality filter will do the filtering job. I might add common sence and even in many owners manual recommending sooner oil and filter service with operating is such extreme environments.

I do want to mention that the Federal guidelines regarding oil filters sold in the USA (well marked boxes and serial numbered distributor boxes filter that are randomly inspected) are well restricted that came about when FRAM having their oil filters cloned and many of those cloned filters having issues that FRAM was blamed for. That carried with FRAM for almost a decade until people got smart at reading facts and not internet forum DIY suggesting FRAM was inferior manufactured oil filters. Now FRAM is in the top 10 of the best choice of aftermarket oil filters.

And NO most DIY DO NOT KNOW how oil filters work. LOL There really is more going on with many types than just filtering... LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 09-01-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:10 PM

So, I'm guessing there is no real difference between the turbo and non turbo filter?

Old 09-01-2022, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by AUGM1
So, I'm guessing there is no real difference between the turbo and non turbo filter?
Nothing obvious. The filter media 'could be' better slightly in the turbo filter but no real proof.

My 2¢

Quick Reply: Any other options for a CX 5 Turbo oil filter other than the Mazda brand?