Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37k mile recommendations from my dealer service dept

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Brake fluid should be done every 2yrs 24k no matter what? Not feeling you on this one. They have fluid tester strips which tell you if your fluid needs renewing. I have a mechanic friend (worked a dealership for his entire life and recently retired) who recommends using the strips rather than just replacing by time/mileage.

If you like spending money for your own piece of mind, great, but that doesn't make the service necessary, or more importantly recommended by the manufacturer.

Can't comment on the USA, but in New Zealand and Australia, the service schedule stated by Mazda for brake fluid is 40,000kms or two years. No ifs, buts or maybees.

Rear diff is $5k vs $129 flush. It's a no brainer.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I guess we would need to define "Major"?
True, major is probably defined by income and wealth.
To me currently, that is anything over $1000 and I can't use my vehicle.
Obviously, any issue would be devasting to a person who has to live in their vehicle and wouldn't mean anything at all to someone like Tom Brady
The number of my family/friends/coworkers would probably compare to what your shop sees in a day.
But seriously, not a single major issue (not counting recalls), no transmissions, engines, major engine work, anything other than brakes (pads rotors occasionally caliper) and exhaust.
It was to the point I was getting a bit miffed by spending the money for rigorous maintenance.
Even though I know issue do exists, I'm inclined to believe (perhaps wishfully so) the issues are the vehicles traded/sold by my non-maintenance inclined family/friends and coworkers and the like.
I personally have not had a single major issue on any of my vehicles (other than outboards) since my 1996 Chevy Corsica (chipmunks chewed up the main wiring harness & plugged injectors).
I just cursed myself didn't I
I'm old enough, as you are too, to recall the days when no matter how good your maintenance was a major repair was a given.
Back then I had to replace many a transmission, wheel bearings, rear ends, master cylinders/brake lines, and water pumps and alternators by the dozens. Then add in carbs, timing chains, valve jobs, full engine rebuilds. Yeah, I still have my maintenance done regularly, as that's who I am, but I'm not as certain anymore that it has actually saved me any money, and I know it hasn't resulted in a higher selling/trade price.
It does give me piece of mind, but if your shop is getting in fully maintained vehicles with major issues than it's probably a false sense of security.
I've got to finish my computations for that transporter device...

Old 02-02-2023, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I'm old enough, as you are too, to recall the days when no matter how good your maintenance was a major repair was a given.
Back then I had to replace many a transmission, wheel bearings, rear ends, master cylinders/brake lines, and water pumps and alternators by the dozens. Then add in carbs, timing chains, valve jobs, full engine rebuilds. Yeah, I still have my maintenance done regularly, as that's who I am, but I'm not as certain anymore that it has actually saved me any money, and I know it hasn't resulted in a higher selling/trade price.
It does give me piece of mind, but if your shop is getting in fully maintained vehicles with major issues than it's probably a false sense of security.
I've got to finish my computations for that transporter device...
I think you hit it on the nail...back in the day very few kept up on preventive maintenance let alone the normal servicing like oil and filter(s) changes (air ,oil, fuel). And no, I really can't say I have seen in a long time a well maintain "DALEY DRIVER or shop vehicle come into the shop?

Old 02-05-2023, 01:10 PM
Default the DEALER IS IN IT FOR THE MONEY

Originally Posted by 3bamboo
Thought I'd share this with you all for laughs.
My car is 2019 and has 37k miles, it is running fine.
Went in for an oil change and left with 5 "needs immediate attention" recommendations:

Gas direct injection $240
Brake fluid exchange $120
Engine tune up $440
Transfer case fluid replacement $129
Differential flush - rear $129
From my years of experience working for and dealing with new car dealers ,I know that the service and parts department often makes more profit than the sale of new vehicles. Is your CX5 a turbo or NA ? Turbo's tend to be harder on spark plugs .The brake fluid exchange isn't a bad idea ( brake fluids are hydroscopic ), The diff and transfer case fluid is also a good idea if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while. I do find the engine tune up and gas direct injection service questionable. If you live in a wet/damp climate brake fluid should be replaced more often. Dif and transfer case fluid is also subject to degradation and should also be done every 40 to 50 thousand miles .I would question the tune up and gas direct injection ,if the vehicle is running good strong and smooth and getting the same fuel mileage . If your not experienced and capable of doing the service yourself ,it may be wise to get it done IF YOU TRUST THE DEALER . No one wants to spend over a $1000.00 to service a vehicle ,but it is cheaper than breaking down and then needing major repairs, or buying a new vehicle. In the end it's all about Trust ,Some times you have to break an egg to have an omelet. Fyi, the SG1 diff and transfer case gear oil is $45.00 to $50.00 a quart .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 02-05-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:29 AM

Great response THE CHIEF...

I only want to add that unless an wave form analysis is done with a scan Tool like a Solis many believe that there is no concern with their Fuel injectors and that they think the engine is running optimally. I suggest that if anyone is recommending a Fuel Injection service that they show the customer by way of a Oscilloscope Wave Form for why they are recommending the service or if the engine has over 100K miles.
I could give examples all day long of engine with less than 40k miles and you can see idling fueling issues as well valanced AFR at a constant highway and engine speed that usually are indicating that the fuel injectors are needing some kind of service.
Honestly when I tell a customer they need a Fuel injector service they decline. But I know withing a couple of seasons they will be back in the shop complain that their engine is running a bit rough and the MPG seemed to drop. On forums we all often blame that on seasonally gasoline formulas but running a Wave form analysis will tend to support a F/I service. Then it becomes a math calculation of how much you will save annually and the cost of the F/I service. So again, many customers decline the service. LOL Then in a few more season, they either re limping their car in or it is being towed because of a plugged F/I. LOL

ASE

Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums