Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016.5 clicking sound from dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Update: 5 weeks and 3 days without my CX-5

My CX-5 has been at the new dealer now for 1 week and 3 days. They've been excellent about communicating what's going on. This morning, I received a text that they're having a Mazda Engineer come to the dealership because they believe this is the first instance of this problem with a CX-5 (lucky me).

They need to document the problem. But, it's still not fixed and they still don't know what is causing the clicking sound.

I will be receiving another update later today on the result of the engineer's visit. I don't know where this is heading at this point.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:19 AM

Got my CX-5 back!

After almost 6 weeks, and two dealers, Mazda found what was causing the clicking sound. It required having a Mazda engineer visit the dealer, and also working with other Mazda engineers. Seems the answer came from an engineer in Texas.

At the base of the windshield, there's a strip of metal, and apparently dirt had gotten in between that piece of metal and the metal it was attached to. How dirt got there is the big question. Pry it away from where it's attached, blow out the dirt, and the problem resolved. I believe they may have put some foam in there to prevent it from happening again. The sound from that area, which was located at about the middle of the windshield base, was traveling to the drivers side column/corner of the dashboard. That's what made it so hard to find.

I've been told a TSB is to be released based on this problem and the solution. Apparently, I'm the first to have this issue, and hopefully it'll save others.

Right now, driving for the next two or three weeks will be a test to make sure the noise is truly gone. Only time will tell, but no clicking sound at all now. Fingers crossed.

Kudos to Ray at Mazda of Milford (CT) for his relentless pursuit in resolving this issue.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:28 AM

Sorry to necro this post but I've been having a similar issue on my CX-5 and the two dealers I've been to have been unable to localize the problem. Considering I've had a windshield replacement this summer, the fact that you mentioned the problem was at the base of the windshield does make me curious. I haven't found a TSB for the problem yet.

Here's what mine does:

Last edited by Birgrim; 12-10-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:43 AM

I really sorry it took so long, but I'm impressed at how seriously they took the issue and the effort they made in getting it resolved. Let's hope it's a permanent fix!

Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 AM

Birgrim, have your dealer call the dealer that fixed my issues. They did tell me a TSB would be released, whether it ever was or not, I don't know.

Call Mazda of Milford, Connecticut, USA. Speak to Ray. He's the service manager that would not quit on the problem until he found it. My clicking sound was traveling to the column between the driver's side window and windshield. Good luck!

I've had another clicking sound fixed that may help you. It was the clamp that holds the passenger side sun visor in place. Had that replaced and that clicking went away. If you pull on it, you'll hear noise coming from it... worth checking.

I now have a new clicking sound now that winter has set in (cold whether), and appears to becoming from the passenger side door.

I love this car, but hate clicking sounds when I'm driving it. A real quality control issue IMO. Makes the interior seem cheaply done.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Default EXACTLY the same problem on my CX-5 2016 since july 2017

Hi Metsfan !
I have the exact same problem on my cx-5 2016 and my dealer can't resolve it after 4 visits. They just put foam for plastic molding and put tierap on wires... I'm thinking about write to Mazda Canada to make a complaint... that clicking/ticking sound makes me crazy since about 1 year....!!!! I'm from Quebec (french) Canada.

You were talking about a TSB, do you know if it is now available? If yes, which number ? My dealer didn't see anything, I don't know if they can see other countries TSB... ?

Or better, do you have photos of the right place for that piece of metal we need to pry and clean so I can show it to the dealer ???

thank you so much !!!!

JFV

Last edited by Jeff Vohl; 05-06-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:42 AM

They talked about a TSB, but I don't know if it ever came about. Call Mazda of Milford in Connecticut USA and speak to Ray (the service manager). He was the one that worked on my CX5 the whole time and resolved the problem. I'm sure he'll remember it.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Hy JFV,

Have you managed to fix it? Any chance to get some photos. I am in europe so won't be able to get in touch with one of your dealers.

Thanks