Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Holy Smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Default RE: Holy Smoke!

check your transmission modulator valve. it's on the drivers side, it sticks out the side of the transmission, right above the pan. it has a rubber hose that connects to the end of it.pull the hose off, if you see transmission fluid in the hose, your valve is bad. the modulator valve workson vacuum, from the intake. the fluid is pulled into the intake, causing smoke, & a fast idle. plus when its cold the choke kicks in, pulling even in more trans fluid. makes it smoke like crazy. also causes a loss of transmission, with no apparent leaks.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Default RE: Holy Smoke!

I wish it was that easy.... But the darned thing is a 5 speed... Haven;t gotten the time to really mess with it as of late... Was hoping to get the cats "cleaned out" and see what we gots from there.... Darned thing is still running like a top... Hasn't lost a bit of water.. Just did the first oil change since the head gasket and the oil still looks good... Was down a half quart which I didn;t think was terrible for the milage... I'll just keep them mosquitoes at bay for a while I guess.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Default did you ever fix

I have the same problem with a 89 b2200 that I bought cheap with a blown head gasket. I have put head gaskets on other cars with great results. I also had the head rebuilt by a very good machine shop. I had to wait a year to finish the job due to a injury, but finally have it together. It smokes for a minute or 2 then stops smoking , but goes thru oil. I have took apart again 3 times and had a engine shop look at it only to say he could not find anything. He thinks that the oil rings might be stuck letting oil thru, but when warm the compression rings are somewhat keeping it from smoking. The compression is 160 all across the cylinders, new head and it runs great other than the smoking for first 2 minutes and oil consuption. Has any one ideas, or have you fixed your problem.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Well, if it all happens in the first two minutes from a cold start, and it's going through the engine, how about cold starting, run for just long enough to get the smoke up, then quickly shut down and yank the plugs for inspection?
Does this sucker have the EVAP loop system with purge? Is it possible that water or water vapor from somewhere is slowly condensing, being recovered into the in the canister and then being sucked into the intake on the start purge cycle?
I guess you could try yanking the purge solenoid off line and seeing if the white cloud persists on cold starting.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Default blue smoke

The smoke is blue, and it will use a quart of oil in a 100 miles. The spark plugs are clean, and it runs great and smooth. Everything is good, but the blue smoke and oil consuption.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 PM

Oil rings job is to allow oil through to lubricate the piston skirts. More likely the scraper ring (second ring) is carboned up. Oil additives and fuel additives that decarbon can sometimes cure them over time.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 AM

would leaving marvel mystery oil on the top of the pistons for a week, then turn engine over by hand for a couple of turns do the trick? I am on the second day of this. I than plan on driving around for a long ride to try to loosen up. This engine has only 118,000 on it with a new head, and head gasket. It runs like a new engine except it smokes on start up for a few minutes, and it does go thru oil.