Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

I just don"t know...........

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Default I just don"t know...........

The car was having trouble staying started. I would stop at a light sometimes and it would die but then start right back up.
Alternator is fine, starter is fine, battery is new. Distributor seems to be fine. Thought it was the wiring harness, when you moved the wires it would start.
Now it wants to start but can"t. I mean if you spray starting fluid in it it"ll start for like 2 secs. If you continually spray starting fluid in it, you can keep it running for as long as you"re spraying the fluid. (I know this is not good for the car.
It"s not something I"m doing . Any ideas?
I"m on a fixed income so I can"t get a diagnostic test or anything until at least next month, but you know, rent and food come first. The ignition is also fine and when you check the spark plugs we"re getting fire.
TIA.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Default RE: I just don"t know...........

Also, I took it to Autozone when it was running but they couldn"t get the codes because it"s a 1991 626 (should have said that in the first post) and they could only test newer models.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Clearly it is a fuel problem. It could be a bad fuel pump, bad fuel pump relay, clogged fuel filter, clogged injectors, or maybe the PCM/ECU is just not detecting the fuel system?
I"d start with the fuses and FP relay because they are probably the easiest.Listen for the fuel pump running in the tank, but also look into a new filter if it"s been a while, one of the most neglected of all maintenance items, check to see if you"re getting fuel at the fuel rail/manifold and power to the injectors.
Was the car sitting for a long time w/gas in the tank? Could it be the old fuel turned to varnish and clogged everything up? Can you hear the fuel pump running? Since it"s a "91, it might be contamination in the fuel tank (rust, dirt or vanish) that has clogged the filter "sock" on the pick up tube.
There are a thousand reasons why you may not be getting fuel. I have only touched on a few, but not knowingyour circumstances, or the condition of the car, it"s going to be hard to narrow it down. You"ll just have to take it one step ata time, but be methodical about it.
1) Listen for the fuel pump.
2) Check for fuses and relays to the pump.
3)Check for fuel up to the engine, etc....

Old 10-19-2008, 02:16 AM

Thanks for responding. The car hasn't sat up , I've driven it everyday until now. The problem started in Feb. , we changed the spark plugs, air filter, oil and oil filter and the fuel filter. After we did that it started running like this.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Since you say the problems started after the "tune-up," that is a good place to start.
Go back and check your work.Check for anything that might have been moved, bumped or disconnected by accident. Unplug any electrical connectors and check for corrosion that could be causing them to not make good contact. Sometimes, just unplugging and replugging (<< Is that a word?) them in can clean off any corrosion and make them work again.
Since you say the engine will run w/starting fluid, I would check for fuel to the injectors, but also bad vacuum hoses anywhere in the system... or just replace them anyway. A vacuum leak could cause the fuel system to run so lean that the car can"t start/run that way w/o additional fuel, in this case your starting fluid.
The car is a 91, which makes it 17-18 yrs old now. That"s a lot of heat/cooling cycles they have gone through, but all in all it seems you have some time on your hands, and this seems like an easy problem to diagnose. A few hours @ most, under the hood and an easy fix, I"m sure.