Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

1st car, don't know much

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Default 1st car, don't know much

i have a 2008 Mazda 3 2.3. it's my first car. I'm looking for advice on where to start improving my car.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by jcast250
i have a 2008 Mazda 3 2.3. it's my first car. I'm looking for advice on where to start improving my car.
Folks might differ, however, for my part there is nothing you can do to make it "better", errr, with the possible exception of wheels and tires. Said another way, leave it alone, drive it and enjoy it.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Folks might differ, however, for my part there is nothing you can do to make it "better", errr, with the possible exception of wheels and tires. Said another way, leave it alone, drive it and enjoy it.
I think Mazda did the improving already

Yeah I agree... wheels and tires. If you don't like the stereo (like me) then upgrade that. I've never heard the bose system but I bought strippo car so I had the crap radio. I'm weird and like having my own radio equipment vs any factory or factory installed aftermarket stereo.

As far as other things, maybe interior changes or accents. I have an italian leather shift boot on mine. Much nicer looking than the crap factory boot.

I personally have done nothing to the exterior since it's a constant a to b car. I've only had it 2 years and 4 months, and almost 84,000 miles and counting I just got a new job that's local now so that count should slow down tremendously.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by knucklehead11
I think Mazda did the improving already

Yeah I agree... wheels and tires. If you don't like the stereo (like me) then upgrade that. I've never heard the bose system but I bought strippo car so I had the crap radio. I'm weird and like having my own radio equipment vs any factory or factory installed aftermarket stereo.

As far as other things, maybe interior changes or accents. I have an italian leather shift boot on mine. Much nicer looking than the crap factory boot.

I personally have done nothing to the exterior since it's a constant a to b car. I've only had it 2 years and 4 months, and almost 84,000 miles and counting I just got a new job that's local now so that count should slow down tremendously.
I did the same thing vis-à-vis my commute; I bought the Mazda3 based upon needing to do 100+ miles per day following the start of a new job. Unfortunately given the state of the economy in late 2008 and early 2009, I got "restructured" out of that new job after only 4 months with the new car (I still managed to rack up over 17,000 miles on it in that short period of time). Fortunately I was "on the beach" for only 11 weeks before I managed to find a new job, this one however, has me driving 8 miles to a "Park-and-Ride" where I catch a bus into Boston, and then 8 miles back home. Here I am now 19 months later and I've only just cracked the 31,000 mile mark.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:13 PM

suspension upgrades, everything else just makes noise

Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Hypertech
Speed3 sway bars and end links.
Tires

Old 10-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Start with the most upgradable component....... the driver. lol :P

Things to improve, eh? I highly recommend picking up a third key. If you have two working keys you can program in additional ones for free yourself. But if you lose a key and then try to replace it with only one the dealer has to program it for you and charge you a bunch of $$. Heated mirrors, possibly one of the best and most appreciated mods I've done. HIDs w/ a clear lens swap.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:02 PM
PAC

Tinted the windows on both of my 3's. Justified the cool look by saying "it protects the interior from harmful UV light."

Oh yeah - and similar to icspots' comment - I get a spare flat key made to go in my wallet so that I can get into the car when I lock my keys in it.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aubrey
Hypertech
Speed3 sway bars and end links.
Tires
Speed 3 suspension (stock)
Hypertech
Tires

If you can make your own Short ram intake with a box to section off the filter, do it, and stock speed 3 exhaust would compliment it, a little mod to it maybe required. Other than that, keep up on its maintenance.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM

You all got it all wrong!

1. A really big gaudy muffler that sticks out the back of the car at least 6".

2. Must have a bigger fin on the back for all these mega upgrades I'm about to list, must keep the beast on the ground (I recomend a different color than the car).

3. A really flaring paint job or graphics that show like a sore thumb should add at least 15hp.

4. Under-car lights should decrease drag and increase speed.

5. Rims

6. Fake-Chrome strip everything! Door edges, door handles, etc.

7. Large window decals both front and back that say something cool like "pay-up sucker".

8. Body kit, the bigger the better. They don't have to be the same color either, if theyre that cool, they don't need to match.

9. Duct tape. Nuff said.

I think that about sums it up, if you meet all these requirement you WILL have the coolest ride in town.

Quick Reply: 1st car, don't know much