Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

323 taking it in.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Default 323 taking it in.

I was thinking on taking my car in to JustBreaks to get the rear drums taken care of and also the Shoes. Is this a good place to go get it done at? I was wondering what the run for? I heared some where like 100 bucks and they do every thing?

I was wondering what kind of service they offer if any one knows?

Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Default RE: 323 taking it in.

I've never heard of that place before, must be a local business. It is usually not good to go to a shop that only makes its money doing one thing. It would be best , in my opinion, to take it to a reputable independent shop that does general auto repair. On our local news they did an undercover investigation last week of local shops with a Durango that had less than 30K miles and had more than 60% life left in the brakes and witn no problems. We have a chain called Brakecheck here and 5 of the 6 tried to rip offf the undercover. Other shops that were also only brake shops tried to do the same thing. Then they chose 4 random general repair shops, and at least they were honest, saying the brakes looked good. All the places chosen offer free brake checks, so shop around is the moral of the story.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:47 PM

Ah ok well I'll look and see if I can find one.

Thanks.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:43 AM

Just don't let a shop take you to the cleaners is what bkey is trying to say. If you do not want to do the work yourself then at least take to a reputable place. I have seen the same on the tv about shops ripping people off for a small thing. Watched a show just a few months ago about a VW that would not accelerate and the people that were running the program had simply taken the throttle cable off at the carburetor. Some shops popped the cable back on for no charge but others told them that they needed a new engine computer or other expensive item and then just popped the cable back on and charged a wad of money for the repair. I hate seeing that kind of crap but it does happen and would hate to see it happen to you. Best thing you can do is shop around for a good shop that is honest and stick with them. There are still a good number of shops out there that will do you right I hope. Have yo considered doing the work yourself outside of resurfacing the drums of course?

Old 12-04-2005, 03:19 AM

Well yeah I have though about doing the work my self. I mean I can do it I just don't know how to blead the rear breaks. I also had a hard time getting those two little screws off the drums.

I mean I don't have a problem doing it my self if I knew how to do it properly. I guess all I need to know is how to blead the breaks or if I even have to?

I have all the tools I think. I guess all I need is some new shoes and get those drums taken care of and I can do it then.

I guess I just wanted some options. I would rather do it my self. I was just a little worried because it would be just me working on it.

But if its not that hard then I will most certainly go for it. I have done the front my self and that was a peace of cake. I have almost done these but I had the wrong shoes and a buddy was helping me out. But I know how to take the shoes off and put them back on.

I also have a Hanyes manual.

So if given some good info and advice then yeah I think I could do it.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2005, 10:18 PM

If you have a good pedal and do not plan to replace the wheel cylinders, you do not have to bleed he system. I have bled the hydraulic brake system before just using gravity. The gravity bleed is done by making sure the master cyl is full of fluid, then open the bleeder on each wheel cyl and let it drip a few minutes. When you see no air coming out, you are done. Leave the cap loose the master cyl until done, and make sure to monitor the fluid level until done. Do not press brake pedal with gravity method. Other methods include using a two man system, and at auto parts they sell a one man bleeding kit with a fluid container and tube, instructions will be on the kit. Shops usually have vacuum or pressure bleeding machines.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:10 PM

yeah I do need to replace the wheel cylinders I know that I have one that is going bad on me.

How do I replace those? I have never done that befor.

Hey if you could send me the link for the one man bleeder kit that would rock.

I am just trying to get every thing I need to know befor I try to attempt this.

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 PM

Replacing the wheel cylinders is easy Alucard once the shoes are off. Use a 10mm flare nut wrench to loosen the brake pipe and then thread out the rest of the way. You will want to use a flare nut as a regular open end will probably round off the fitting instead of loosening it. Cover the open end of the pipe so you don't drip out all the fluid. I ususally use the rubber cover for the bleeder screw to cover the pipe end. Works great. Next you will need a 10mm socket and ratchet to take out the two bolts attaching the wheel cylinder to the backing plate. Reverse the way you took apart and then bleed the air out. I found a link to a one man system but is not like the one I used to have. The one I had was simply a hose with a one-way check valve on one end. You loosened the bleeder screw and then attached the hose on. Then very lightly depressed the pedal and repeated a few times. The check valve would let the brake fluid thru but would not allow air back in. Check some local parts stores and I bet they would have one. Here is the link I found.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...st.asp?scat=26

Old 12-07-2005, 01:23 AM

*sighs of relieve* Oh thank goodness its not as hard as I though.

Cool so I can do.

Wow very helpful information. So now when I am going to do this all I need to do is have my manual and print this out and then I can do it.

Thanks Babyhuey big, big help.

Cool I am very glad I can do this now.

Save money and some time.