Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Engine light continously turns on after taking it to mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Default Engine light continously turns on after taking it to mechanics

I have a 97 millenia V6-2255 2.3L DOHC with 112000 miles and i keep having “check the engine light” problems. Over the past two years I have been taking it to different mechanics who have done computer diagnostics. the first time they told me it was the fuel injectors and the second time they told me it that it needed a transmission fluid flush and valve cover gasket.
After doing the mechanical work they turned it off. Just recently the light came back on and when it did the floor shook(it sounded like the muffler) but then again it could be something else because I don't know much about cars, and then it stopped. I took it in again and they gave me these codes (P0300,P1170,P1195). They weren't sure what was really wrong with it so they told me to take it into the dealer because they had more sophisticated Mazda computer to diagnosis the real problem. I thought to myself they are TOO expensive so can anyone please help me out!!! I don't want to be stranded in the middle of the highway. What would you suggest. I would really like a response from a mazda technician. I've about had it with this car, the repairs are too expensive.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:40 AM
Default RE: Engine light continously turns on after taking it to mechanics

I have a '95 Millenia L with over 150K miles.

The check engine light has been on for approximately 4 years, since I bought it.

Both of my mechanics indicate to me that it is nothing, something like a slight electrical inconsistency that the sensor is picking up. My wife had a Mazda Protege with the same problem.

Try to ignore it.

But you will need someone to turn it off when and if you get smog checked.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:43 AM

some of us live in places that require a state inspection. i guarantee you the car will NOT pass with the ce lite on. one of the things that separate a "mechanic" from a TECHNICIAN is scan/diagnostic tools that enable them to find out why the lite is on. diagnosis by the guess method wont work here, neither will those two "mechanics". there is a difference between OBD 1 and OBD 2 cars. most OBD 2 cars need very sophisticated scan/diagnostic tools(expensive) to accurately pull the codes. if you take the car to a cheap shop that uses cheap tools, you get what you pay for. p0300 is random misfire, 1170 is front right o2 sensor inversion, and i couldnt find 1195, but i have a 99 service manual. more than likely the random misfire has CAUSED the o2 sensor malfunction, but finding out why will take some time. the dealer will have the equipment that is capable of narrowing it down, but yah, it will cost. there are 2 output terminals, one inside the car that will read out what codes are stored, and one in the engine bay, which attaches to the ngs tester, and it can narrow it down even further. this tester costs about 6k, i think, and locally here, it costs 89 bucks at least once they plug it in. small shops cannot afford the individual car line diagnostic equipment, unless they specialize in that car line.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 PM

keninn is right. Codes are too general to give a definitive answer. The 1195 is for a fault in the manifold absolute pressure sensor. Is not in the 97 code list but is in 96 MY. Have replaced a good number of these sensors for that code but it would be a $280 guess without being able to test the system. Could be causing the random miss and O2 inversion codes as well but no way to know, again without testing. No TSB's on any of these codes that might help either. Oh and kennin, the ngs is only $1300 or so but it is so outdated that is not much good for testing anymore. We have been using WDS for years now and it is a bargain at $16,000 or so with the cables and other goodies.

One other note about IM test. Will not only fail with CE on but if PCM has not run and passed all self test monitors such as evap, egr, etc. it will fail inspection too. Can't just shut off light before heading out to be tested. They thought of that already.