Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Hood and Roof Micro scratches

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 05:41 PM
Default Hood and Roof Micro scratches

I bought a 2020 Machine Grey CX 5 that doesn't look like its even been details. In fact it appears to have been machine washed its entire 23k mile life. The hood has front to back micro scratches that cover the entire hood all the way across it and the roof has them too, but their limited to a just beyond the roofs leading edge. I know what the extend of the scratches is surface wise but i dont know how deep they are. Are they beyond repair or can the scratches be filled or removed by carefully applying a paint restorer/sealer wax like Meguires Ultimate Compound?

I have yet to get a professional opinion b/c i know its going to cost me some $$$ ifi go to a detailer who can do it right if its not too bad. I suppose i could attempt some test spots to gauge the severity w/o doing to much harm. Ive attached a pic which is pretty bad b/c the cars filthy but at least it gives you an idea of the severity of the scratches.

Cheers..

Old 06-29-2021, 09:55 PM

Nah, I’ve seen worse. Yup, looks like lots of through the car wash. My way to go would be a through wash, clay bar, and then use some scratch and swirl mark remover (its a real fine compound stuff - a random orbital with a very soft pad works well). Then a polish and wax. If you want to use a sealant, go before the wax. You got a day’s work ahead of you. Indoors if you can, too hot outside right now.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:31 PM

I have the materials but no place to do the work right now.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:20 PM

They are definitely not beyond repair. I just did my deep crystal mica and got some pretty swirly marks correct to almost perfect. If you are a DIYer, you can get yourself a cheap dual action polisher from the local Harbor Freight for about $80 and use any number of different fine to medium cut compounds with the right pad. Do it right and then apply a sealant and you're good to go. If you use machine car washes, this will just happen over time. If you want to reduce the swirls, learn the two-bucket wash method and be careful what you touch the paint with. All up to you how much effort & care you want to put into it! But you're by no means sunk.

If you are not a DIYer you will pay a good amount of money for paint correction but it will likely look pretty close to new or better when they are through with it. Paint correction is time consuming which means $$ but it is very much DIY-able if you do your research.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:41 PM
Default micro scratches on roof

BA CX-5,
Polishing paint on a car is certainly something anyone can do for sure. It is just a matter of giving up the time and making the effort. The issue is that removing scratches also removes clear coat which will allow the potential for scratches to accumulate even faster after the fact. The hardest part of the clear coat is the top layer. Once that layer is removed the paint is not as strong as before. Consult a pro detailer that you trust to have the work done.