Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Can all the oil disappear in a few months?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Default Can all the oil disappear in a few months?

I was running a 2001 Tribute and had just had it serviced about 4000 miles ago. The other day the engine blew up and when I took it to the mechanic he said there was almost zero oil in the engine. He said he checked and that there were no leaks. I suspect that the Sears automotive where I had the service done made a mistake when they did the oil service. Is there any other scenario where a car used, at most, 3 days a week, could run out of oil in a few months?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vook
I was running a 2001 Tribute and had just had it serviced about 4000 miles ago. The other day the engine blew up and when I took it to the mechanic he said there was almost zero oil in the engine. He said he checked and that there were no leaks. I suspect that the Sears automotive where I had the service done made a mistake when they did the oil service. Is there any other scenario where a car used, at most, 3 days a week, could run out of oil in a few months?
serviced, Engine BLEW-UP, then you drove it afterwards.
Are you really wondering why oil is missing?

It's a 2001. Oil should be checked monthly by you at least!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
serviced, Engine BLEW-UP, then you drove it afterwards.
Are you really wondering why oil is missing?
I had it towed.

And it didn't explode, just popped and stopped working.

Anyway that is not the point, I am asking if 5 quarts of oil can disappear within 3 months without a leak.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Banned

Yes it can disappear.
Hi mileage older vehicles with poor rings, valve seats can make oil get in to your combustion chamber and be burned.
Also, the fact that Mazda never changes the PCV valve isn't helping the situation.
First sign of burning oil, change the PCV valve. This is why you must check the oil yourself!

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 PM

vook: I agree with Noggin on this. Mazda ignores the fact that the PCV can get stuck open. Also burning oil used to result in a blue cloud of smoke coming form the exhaust. However the catalytic converters do a pretty good job of cleaning the fumes. Therefore you are left with no warning from this.

Even if they screwed up on the oil change how could you prove it? You didn't even check once.

I feel sorry for you. I also felt sorry for my sister in law who would not change the oil even though everyone told her she must do it. After the engine died and she bought another car she made a habit of getting the oil changed and more.

Last edited by tanprotege; 04-09-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:16 PM

Sears probably stripped the oil discharge on the pan. Any puddles on the driveway?