Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Tribute (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/)
-   -   Can all the oil disappear in a few months? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/can-all-oil-disappear-few-months-32371/)

vook 09-26-2013 01:01 PM

Can all the oil disappear in a few months?

I was running a 2001 Tribute and had just had it serviced about 4000 miles ago. The other day the engine blew up and when I took it to the mechanic he said there was almost zero oil in the engine. He said he checked and that there were no leaks. I suspect that the Sears automotive where I had the service done made a mistake when they did the oil service. Is there any other scenario where a car used, at most, 3 days a week, could run out of oil in a few months?

UseYourNoggin 09-26-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by vook (Post 140976)
I was running a 2001 Tribute and had just had it serviced about 4000 miles ago. The other day the engine blew up and when I took it to the mechanic he said there was almost zero oil in the engine. He said he checked and that there were no leaks. I suspect that the Sears automotive where I had the service done made a mistake when they did the oil service. Is there any other scenario where a car used, at most, 3 days a week, could run out of oil in a few months?

serviced, Engine BLEW-UP, then you drove it afterwards. :eek:
Are you really wondering why oil is missing? :p

It's a 2001. Oil should be checked monthly by you at least! :mad:

vook 09-26-2013 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin (Post 140985)
serviced, Engine BLEW-UP, then you drove it afterwards. :eek:
Are you really wondering why oil is missing? :p

I had it towed.

And it didn't explode, just popped and stopped working.

Anyway that is not the point, I am asking if 5 quarts of oil can disappear within 3 months without a leak.

UseYourNoggin 09-26-2013 08:21 PM

Yes it can disappear.
Hi mileage older vehicles with poor rings, valve seats can make oil get in to your combustion chamber and be burned.
Also, the fact that Mazda never changes the PCV valve isn't helping the situation.
First sign of burning oil, change the PCV valve. This is why you must check the oil yourself!

Thanks for the clarification.

tanprotege 09-26-2013 08:45 PM

vook: I agree with Noggin on this. Mazda ignores the fact that the PCV can get stuck open. Also burning oil used to result in a blue cloud of smoke coming form the exhaust. However the catalytic converters do a pretty good job of cleaning the fumes. Therefore you are left with no warning from this.

Even if they screwed up on the oil change how could you prove it? You didn't even check once.

I feel sorry for you. I also felt sorry for my sister in law who would not change the oil even though everyone told her she must do it. After the engine died and she bought another car she made a habit of getting the oil changed and more.

Bobsyouruncle 04-09-2014 03:16 PM

Sears probably stripped the oil discharge on the pan. Any puddles on the driveway?