Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Why not Ford

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Default RE: Why not Ford

ORIGINAL: VB

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

cobalts are alright. if you think about it. they are just beefed up cavaliers. and i hateeeeeeeeee cavaliers. they have the 2.2 ecotec engine in it too. and the cobalt SS has the 2.4 z24 cavalier engine in it with a supercharger. if your looking for a cobalt you may as well buy a mazda3 its around the same price range
Time to educate Jaimie once again.

The standard Cobalts have the 2.2, yeah. It's a block that's been around a long time, definitely reliable with plenty of low-end grunt. However, the Cobalt SS does NOT have a 2.4, nor is it supercharged. Here's the deal:

In '05, the Cobalt SS was introduced - an inline 2.0 SC making about 205HP/TQ. Chevy would sell/install up to three kits (pulleys, larger SC, etc.) to bring the power over 300HP/TQ. Now, up till '07 they continued with the SC SS; however, they also used the "SS Sport" badge on certain Cobalts - those are the ones with a variant of the Z24. They're all motor though.

'08 rolled around, and the SS became exclusively FI once more, but this time it was done right - 2.0T making 260HP/TQ. There's nothing in the price range that could touch the Cobalt SS, to be honest - and don't say the MS3. Yes, the MS3 is quicker, but it's also gonna run you close to 30K, no? The Cobalt SS gets to you for about 22K.

You gotta appreciate the value for money this thing delivers.
2009 Cobalt SS

Color[/align]

[ul][*]Imperial Blue Metallic[/ul]
$0

[ul][*]Ebony/Ebony, Premium Cloth with UltraLux inserts[/ul]
$0[/align]

Mechanical[/align]

[ul][*]Engine, ECOTEC Turbo 2.0L, Variable Valve Timing DOHC 4-cylinder DI (260 hp [193.9 kW] @ 5300 rpm, 260 lb-ft of torque [351.0 N-m] @ 2000 rpm)[/ul]
$0

[ul][*]Transmission, 5-speed manual, Includes 3.84 axle ratio.[/ul]
$0

[ul][*]Differential, StabilityTrack Electronic Stability Control System[/ul]
$495[/align]

Exterior[/align]

[ul][*]Spoiler, Rear, body-color[/ul]
$150

[ul][*]Spare tire and wheel, Not desired, tire sealant and inflator kit in place of spare tire[/ul]
$0[/align]

Interior[/align]

[ul][*]Seats, Front bucket, Premium Cloth with UltraLux, with SS embroidery, color-keyed accents, manual recliners, adjustable outboard head restraints, front passenger seatback map pocket and rear 60/40 split-bench with trunk pass-through[/ul]
$0[/align]

Audio[/align]

[ul][*]Audio System, AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System, automatic volume, TheftLock, auxiliary input jack and 36 cross-band presets.[/ul]
$0[/align][/align]$24,740

MazdaSpeed 3
MAZDASPEED3 Sport Model

Destination Fee [/align]$22,740

$670

[/align][/align]
263-hp 2.3L DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder

[/align]Standard

[/align][/align]
Front-Wheel Drive

6-Spd Manual [/align]Standard

Standard [/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]No packages or options selected.[/align]
MS3 looks like a better deal to me, and it looks so much better [8D]

Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 PM
VB

Aesthetics are subjective. The MS3 is cheaper than I thought...I must have gotten the 28K range from the MS6?

The way I equip them, they both come out to about 23K (no stability control on the SS...who needs that besides fools?). I wouldn't go for the big spoiler either (it's ostentatious) - the standard one is much better.

Fuel Economy:

Cobalt SS: 22/30
MS3: 18/26.

At least the SS has that.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:51 PM
VB

Also, Edmunds recorded 0-60 times:

MS3: 5.9
Cobalt SS: 5.8

It's an interesting choice between the two, though they do prefer the MS3. And FWIW, they picked the MS3 over the WRX and Lancer Ralliart as well.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 PM

plus whose gonna have a better resale value.. the ms3. the cobalt is gonna go for a **** in a few years guaranteed in a resale market. thats a huge thing to consider.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Aesthetics are subjective. The MS3 is cheaper than I thought...I must have gotten the 28K range from the MS6?

The way I equip them, they both come out to about 23K (no stability control on the SS...who needs that besides fools?). I wouldn't go for the big spoiler either (it's ostentatious) - the standard one is much better.

Fuel Economy:

Actually I put the Wing and Stability control on to even it out, since the MS3 has a wing and the stability control from the factory.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Petroxg - You talk about Sony - I have to disagree - they have come waaay down hill over the years. I own nothing sony. My preferences are:

TV: Sharp (Aquos)
Stereo: (Pioneer Elite, or Denon)
DVD: Pioneer
Home Speakers: Paradigm (Canadian Company Too! )
Laptops: Toshiba
Car Audo: really like Pioneer Premier, or Eclipse

Just my 2 cents (Good thing this thread is "off topic")

Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: BCNorth

Petroxg - You talk about Sony - I have to disagree - they have come waaay down hill over the years. I own nothing sony. My preferences are:

TV: Sharp (Aquos)
Stereo: (Pioneer Elite, or Denon)
DVD: Pioneer
Home Speakers: Paradigm (Canadian Company Too! )
Laptops: Toshiba
Car Audo: really like Pioneer Premier, or Eclipse

Just my 2 cents (Good thing this thread is "off topic")

Actually I do argree with u. I guess u kind of misunderstood me. I am saying sony used to be the nicestand most realiableelectronics but not as good anymore but still overprice based on the pass brand name reputation. And I am saying Toyota is following that same trend as sony for electronics. Right now toyota is not bad yet, but they are going downhill slowly, but still overpriced. Example, toyota corolla the newest redesigned ones. I have heard nothing but bad reviews about it, even from ppl that used to like them says they have lost the touch for small economical compact cars. I mean even Hyundai Elantra got better reviews than corolla, how sad is that? And they still charge high price like other Japanese cars. Sound like Sony gone downhill and still charge high? I think it does.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: Siber Express

Fuel Economy:

Actually I put the Wing and Stability control on to even it out, since the MS3 has a wing and the stability control from the factory.
The Cobalt actually has a wing from the factory as well...the option they list is for the larger, more ostentatious wing. You've got me on the SM though. FWIW, most people wouldn't even give the Cobalt SS a second glance...I happen to like the styling. Tell you what Siber, I'll sit in both at the auto show when it comes to the Javits Center and give a first impression of them both.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM

COBALT SS=SUCKS MAZDASPEED3= AWESOME. end of story plus when it comes to selling it whose gonna get more, the cobalt owner or the mazdaspeed owner. guaranteed the mazdaspeed owner by a long shot.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

COBALT SS=SUCKS MAZDASPEED3= AWESOME. end of story plus when it comes to selling it whose gonna get more, the cobalt owner or the mazdaspeed owner. guaranteed the mazdaspeed owner by a long shot.
If you're buying a performance car based on the selling figure, you're buying the wrong car.

Besides, would you buy a secondhand car that's modded? I know I wouldn't.

Quick Reply: Why not Ford