Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Why not Ford

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Default RE: Why not Ford

plus i stated my own opinion and i actually thought it was quite intelligent aha. but no people moving to japanese and ford gm and dalmer chrysler is hurtin from it

Old 06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mazdachris

I remember this about Henry. "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black".
Wonder when they started using different colors.

Vg1 - Weren't you there when that happened? Just kidding.................
Nice. VERYYY nice.
What are you picking on us old guys for?Y'know, you'll be where I'm at some day, then the foot will be on the other hand.

Right. Henry is often touted for using that phrase as a selling tool. But, do you know when and why that phrase was coined?

When the Model T was first in production on a small scale they offered a number of different colors.A nice hunter green, yellow, beige, brown and a whole host ofothers.Basically you COULD get it in whatever color you wanted. All you had to do was order it from the DuPont color catalog. It's the early "T's" that originally were produced in different colors, largely made-to-order as I understand it.

But as Ford got into the whole production line process era, it was decided that they could speed up the line and reduce costs both to manufacture the car,and also to potential buyers by only offering one std finish and one std cost. And Dupont #99, gloss black was born. (No, not really.)
I believe that would've been around 1915, iirc?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:16 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: jaimie08mazda3

plus i stated my own opinion and i actually thought it was quite intelligent aha. but no people moving to japanese and ford gm and dalmer chrysler is hurtin from it
Chrysler has been dying ever since they were sold a few years back.

Ford has been run by fools the past 25 years.

GM makes multiple cars from the same chassis.

Eventually, I think, Chrysler will die. Ford will live on as an icon, though who knows how big their market will be in America. GM is such a large conglomerate that it's hard to imagine a total collapse, especially with the success of Cadillac, Saturn, and Chevrolet recently. What GM needs is a condensing...e.g. Buick and Cadillac. Why are there two "luxury" segments within the same group? Saturn and Chevrolet: does Saturn even have anything exclusive anymore? Just the Astra. Pontiac...another stagnant name.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 PM

you would say gm is the best HAHA. just kidding but your right. however as my job is to inspect parts for GM vehicles i noticed since the gas prices have been going up my own work has been slowing down incredibly

Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 AM

I just bought a Saturn Sky Redline back in March and I think I've been the only customer they've had since. No one's buying a car these days.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:57 AM

They Rust too much?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 AM

well see i got laid off. so f**k ford and all of them.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

WHEN??
So what now? You recently lost your w/e job at the airport too, right?
What a string of bad luck, Man. "Sorry for you.

Just to add insult toinjury, the ad at the bottom of the pageis for Ford"s website. [:'(]What irony.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:50 PM

No offense to all you domestic lovers out there, but I HATE domestic vehicles - for the most part because they are ugly and unreliable.

My father has always been a ford guy, and his fords have given him nothing but trouble and cost him a fortune in repairs. I have always driven imports:

'79 Datsun 280zx, owned about a year (replaced alternator)
'72 Datsun 240z, owned about 6 months (replaced starter)
'86 VW Golf, owned about 4 years (replaced valve cover gasket at 350,000 kms. Sold car at 420,000 kms)
'96 Honda Civic, owned about 2 years (replaced window crank)
'07 VW GTI, owned 2 years (no problems)
'08 Mazda 5, owned since April 2008 (gas cap seized - dealer replaced on warranty)

These cars gave me little to no grief in regards to repairs.

- I like the design of the ford trucks, and like driving them, but just don't trust the reliability. Don't like cars at all.
- Dislike the entire dodge family
- Don't care for GM styling inside or out for the majority of vehicles, havent driven them much though

In Short, IMO, Import Cars are better cause Domestics suck.

There is my little blabber.

P.S. One thing that worried me about buying my Mazda 5 is the fact that some of the guts are FORD - fingers are crossed that this doesnt prove to be a problem in the future.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:43 PM

My wife and I tend to buy imported cars not because they're more reliable, but because we prefer sporty sedans with manual transmissions. That said, two of our last three new cars have been Dodge Grand Caravans. Why? Growing family. That said, we kept the 1998 over ten year and drove it some170,000 miles in the process. Through it all, the only unscheduled repairs that I needed to make on it were the Nippon Denso starter (112,000 miles), headlight bulbs (twice), a dome light/door plunger switch (80,000 miles), a power window regulator (150,000 miles), a single tie-rod end (165,000 miles),and the muffler and tailpipe (165,000 miles).

As for our 2003, it now has some 116,000 (and counting) miles on it, and the only unscheduled repairs have been an ABS sensor for one of the front wheels (65,000 miles), front sway bar bushings (80,000 miles), and a power door motor (110,000).

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but those suckers sound pretty reliable to my ears.

Quick Reply: Why not Ford