New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:33 AM
Default New member

Hey guys,

I've been reading several topics for quite some time now. So I thought it would be nice to register.

Since February 2018 I'm the proud owner of a 2012 CX-5 2.0 AWD Sport. So far this car has been a lot of fun and it seems as if it was made for the Belgian road (that's also where I live). A bit more torque down low would've been nice, but hey, you can't have it all

Old 02-25-2019, 03:14 PM

Welcome to the forum and Mazda ownership. Just curious: what is it about the Belgian roads that you think the CX-5 is uniquely qualified for?

Old 02-26-2019, 12:19 AM

Thanks!

I'll sum it up real quick: massive potholes, cobblestone roads, negative cambered corners, narrow convex roads, painted on bicycle roads (extremely slippery when wet) make it that the AWD and somewhat sporty suspension really are fully optimized. Combined with the ground clearance so at least we can tackle the massive speed bumps without scraping the complete underside.

Belgium is not known for its well maintained road whatsoever... We are famous for having some of the worst roads in western Europe

Old 02-26-2019, 10:46 AM

Wow. It looks so nice on the postcards. I also guess there is a big difference in perspective between visiting for a week and living with the roads every day.

I can understand how a CX-5 would be a good choice, my first choice would be for a rental car, however, that would be my one week perspective.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Wow. It looks so nice on the postcards. I also guess there is a big difference in perspective between visiting for a week and living with the roads every day.

I can understand how a CX-5 would be a good choice, my first choice would be for a rental car, however, that would be my one week perspective.
Don't get me wrong, in its own way, Belgium is an awesome country with beautiful cities, villages and scenery. The roads however... The following pictures are just a few examples of how it is.

Belgian highway (left) vs Dutch Highway (right)

On the highway you are allowed to go up to 120kph or 75mph, so imagine your tires and suspension...

Belgian way of slowing cars down in the city center...

And there is no way around, as both sides of the road are equally destroyed.

A minor speedbump (no kidding, this is an easy one...)

So I'm happy that the CX-5 is equipped the way it is. Imagine driving a sportscar