New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

forward facing sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 11:53 PM
Default forward facing sensor problems

Dear All, new to a car forum but hoping that someone can advise me re sorting out this issue.

I have a CX5, 2016 model with low kms 50k. I paid top dollar for a car that i hoped would enable me to drive away stress and problem free for just a wee little while.
I am fairly isolated in a little village on the south coast and was pretty traumatised after my last car saw me having to hitch to work a few times, pay for expensive car hire and hotels to be able to get to work, then to get ripped off by tow truck driver.

Well here I am again, 6 months later with my mazda that every one said "oh so reliable". Great car yes, although I just can't drive at night. My forward facing sensor is saying it's blocked so the headlights are facing down. (Yes, i have cleaned windscreen) I get a good 3 metres of light in front which is pretty scary living in the bush with lots of roos and winter early darkness approaching.

It takes 6 weeks to get into my nearest Mazda. (someone local told me that the mechanics shortage means they have technicians not mechanics) which i think i might have experienced at another Mazda place where a 16 year old was dealing with it, after 4 hours of sitting in a waiting room, they were really unclear about what was wrong ..the office staff were super rude when I asked them to explain more (yes I remained polite) only that they suspected it was a matter of replacing the sensor (1k) plus labour.. they wouldn't give me the diagnostic print out...they said the warranty on the new sensor would be 1 year (and yes it could happen again) and they said they couldn't book me in for another 4 weeks. So I just didn't feel confident in their hands,

Anyhow, besides trying to book into a city mazda, to be confident that they have experienced people to diagnose and replace what ever. (Please tell me if you think I am catastrophising about this...I think i have PTSD from my last car and the inability for anyone to fix it) I would really like to know if there is someway to over ride this camera.
Or does anyone know if this is a common thing, an easy thing to fix...can any mechanic do it? What would you do in this position?
Thanks for your time.