New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Extended protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Default Extended protection

Hi All,

I know there are strong feelings on both sides about buying extended protection. I just bought a new CX-9 and was offered a third party Allstate Vehicle Service Contract. I cannot find much information about this plan. I know Mazda also offers there "Mazda Extended Confidence" plan. I would tend to think the Mazda one would be better, am I correct in this assumption ? Also is it possible to shop around for pricing on the MEC ? Mazda must have a gag order on their dealers, my last car was a Ford and I found the dealers openly advertising the protection plan prices on the internet and I bought my plan at a substantial discount from a dealer a few states away. Any help is most appreciated. The Allstate premium plan was $1962.

Thanks,
Ken

Old 01-12-2018, 07:54 AM

Ken,

I currently own 1 1/2 Mazdas and have previously owned 3 others. In total, I have driven roughly 600,000 miles. If you back out tires, I doubt I spent anywhere near $1,962 on maintenance combined. I would only consider an extended warranty on a Mazda with a rotary engine or one from the first years of a new technology engine. Mazdas are reliable and dependable transportation with reasonable repair costs.

I did get a 30 day private warranty on a 2006 MINI Cooper with 13,000 miles I just bought. In the first month and 100 miles, I had $400 in routine maintenance and $1,000 in more significant repairs done (ignition, cooling and suspension). The warranty company claimed the covered value was $250 and paid $150 after the deductible.

Congratulations on you new purchase. Get an oil change regularly with synthetic oil and do the other appropriate routine maintenance and enjoy your new Mazda. It should not let you down.

I also recommend that you find a good local mechanic and make sure he gets to know you and your cars. I have full confidence that the work I had done on the MINI was appropriate and done correctly since I have full confidence in the mechanic. It will be tough to get to know the mechanic when you drive a Mazda that he won't get to see often.