New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Help!!!

Old 12-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Default Help!!!

New member here.
I'm in a bit of a dilemma and thought I would reach out to current owners. I'm buying a new (used, but new to me) car and have narrowed my search down to a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring with 39,000 miles for $13,900; or so I thought... Very brief bio on myself first though. I am married and have two small children and live in Central New York. My current car is a 2005 Subaru Impreza which has served me very well for nearly 10 years. I am starting a new job in a month and will be commuting 70 miles one-way (highway), and using my vehicle frequently for work as well; its time for a new car! My Impreza has been great and my 6'1 frame was never uncomfortable even though the car itself is small. As my family has grown, I swore my next vehicle would be a larger sedan or (gasp!) a crossover (I'll never go minivan no matter what).

I have been very pleased with everything I have read about the Mazda 6 regarding fuel economy and overall cabin space; as well as the look of the vehicle and the 2.5 liter/184 horsepower engine.
Here's my problem. I was initially uninterested in the Mazda 3 because it appeared smaller than the Mazda 6, and as I stated earlier, I have wanted to upgrade to a larger vehicle. As I did more research however, I found that the 6 and 3 have identical cabin specs, and the overall length of the vehicles is actually not much different. A few hours ago on a whim I searched online and found a 2015 Mazda 3 Grand Touring trim for $13,900 with only 36,000 miles; this Grand Touring is the 2.0 liter/150 horse power engine, not the 2.5 liter.

I have done a fair bit of research on comparisons of the two vehicles, but nothing of substance has really come up. I'm looking for real world advice from real drivers. Will I miss the pep and horse power of the 6 if I go for the 3? I feel like I would be crazy not to consider the 3 since it is the higher trim level, a model year newer, and has fewer miles, all at the same price as the 6. Pep and acceleration will be very important to me since most of my commute will be spent on the thruway; averaging 75 mph.
Finally, I fully plan to test drive both vehicles, but I don't think this will give me the overall picture of daily driving each vehicle over time. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 01-12-2018, 08:38 AM

forum members,

First, I understand that the members of this forum are not very active, I get it. Mazdas are dependable and there is not as much to talk about when compared to a less reliable brand. But come on. a new guy enters a post with the title "Help!!!" and there is no response.

hprpro,

I owned a 2004 Mazda6 and currently own a 2015 Mazda3 and a 2016 Scion IA (known elsewhere as a Mazda2). My Mazda3 is the 2.5 Touring. The power from the 2.5 is adequate for me where the 2.0 would not be. I wouldn't trade my Mazda for anything except another Mazda3 or perhaps a BMW 2 series.My wife is as dedicated to Subaru as I am to Mazda. She now drives a Forester. Mazda and Subaru are very different cars. She would never give up the all wheel drive and I would never give up the handling.

I prefer to drive a small car with great handling. My two kids typically ride in the back when I drive. My son is 6'2. he does not complain, however, his sister wants us to take the Forester for longer trips for the extra room.

I would think the trade off between an Impreza for a Mazda3 would be roughly an even swap for space. The Mazda6 should be larger. Don't go by the numbers. see how you feel in the back seat. See how the kids feel in the back seat. Make sure you are ready to give up the all wheel drive before you leave Subaru.

The Mazda6 you are looking at looks like a better deal than the Mazda3. It is a little bigger (and that should go a long way for bigger kids in the back) and has more power.

Search this Thread