New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Cannot Locate ACC Wire around Steering Column or "Front Sensor Harness" for BSMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Question Cannot Locate ACC Wire around Steering Column or "Front Sensor Harness" for BSMS

Good day Mazda Community members (I'm new here),

I have been delving into the electronic properties of my 2013 Mazda 3 S-hatchback, installing handy gadgets that I can see myself using in my day-to-day driving. My most-recent endeavor is the installation of an after-market blindspot monitoring system, which is supposed to illuminate and beep when a vehicle is in my blindspot (I always check my blindspot when driving, but I hate not being able to look at what is happening on the road ahead of me for that brief second, so I feel like this system would make highway driving safer). Yes, I'm one of those people...

I have followed the instructions to the tea, soldering each component to my existing reverse light & indicator lights to ensure a secure connection and then covering it with electrical tape. I have done this in the past with great success. I have secured the ground terminal to a metal portion of the emergency jack compartment (I run alot of my wires through there and behind the seatbelt panel) using a torque rachet and bolt, so there is no way my ground isn't effective. But there appears to be two issues that I am having. One, I cannot seem to locate the ACC wire (I have read countless threads that have either directed me to the area under the steering wheel column or to the cigarrette lighter; I don't believe my wire is long enough to reach the cig lighter so I don't think that's an option). Some say its the yellow one with silver stripes (which I tried initially, didn't work) and then an orange wire with grey stripes (also tried, didn't work either) though when I first tried the orange & grey wire, my DMM got a voltage reading (my battery was partly-depleted at the time, so I got like 10.74 volts); after my test drive, I was no longer getting a reading, making me figure I must have blown a fuse or something. I removed the connection as a result, but am back to square 1 in locating this ACC. The product comes with a built-in fuse (which I checked after and found that the electrode was still intact) so either I blew a fuse in the car circuitry (not good) or I must have thought I got a reading but didn't. I measured the voltage by removing a small portion of insulation, then touching the positive probe to the copper wire underneath, while touching my COM lead to the metal car frame, which is how I was directed to do it. So which wire in the bundle is the ACC and I should splice to?

Additionally, the product comes with one more feature that I cannot seem to recall having; there is an adapter labeled, "Front Sensor Harness" on one of the endings at the front of the car. I have contacted the vendor to ask if there is a piece that I am missing and they seemed clueless (they sent me some diagram on ebay that I haven't been able to find since, I can't recall what it was showing) and then told me this isn't their area of specialty (I got it from Kabis, a South Korean vendor). All of the instructions on paper are in Korean as well so I can't read them... the only thing that I have to go by is a diagram in the instruction pamphlet which, again, shows nothing of this front sensor harness connector. So I am starting to think that this may not be a necessary piece... btw this vendor offers these systems for a number of different vehicle brands and I made sure that I purchased one that works with Mazdas.

My apologies for such a long first thread; this has been puzzling me for months now and I just want to put my car interior back together finally. Any advice is appreciated!