New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

2012 Mazda CX5 diesel engine head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiPete
I've a 2012 CX-5 Diesel (NZ new) with approx 160,000km's. Had an issue in 2019 and the local Mazda dealer charged me approx $2k for the following (from their workshop report):
"Carry out scan. Correct fault for oil pressure low

Print out test plan

Will need to book for DIA

Carried out diagnosis low oil pressure present. Checked valve chest for carbon build up – present

Removed under tray drained oil, removed sump inspected oil strainer – blocked. Removed injectors No3 nozzle leaking. Remove carbon build up on injector. Removed rocker and ancillary components. Removed pieces of carbon from valve chest. Clean injectors and bores with carbon cleaner. Extract nozzle washers (No3 jammed took 1 hour to remove. Clean all parts and replace those listed including return hose from fuel rail to fuel distributor (old one weeping and hard

Reassembled refitting injectors as per MFS. Partially remove oil pump and balancer unit to access obscured bolt on oil strainer. Replace strainer. Refit pump/balancer assy. Clean sump and mating surfaces. Refit sump replace oil filter. Refill engine oil. Charge battery refit start and run. Check for leaks o/k Road test till engine oil temp approx 90 degrees C Test oil pressure good approx 400kpa at 3000RPM Reset oil data. Updated PCM Cleared fault codes Run o/k"
Now, two years later - and after three services - it's now presented with a blown head gasket and Mazda N.Z. (through the local dealer) have refused to come to the party, saying that its because of the age and km's - which I just don't buy.

Anyway, given the history of this model and the obvious design fault leading to this problem, I'm taking civil action via the Disputes Tribunal. This is as much a matter of principle as anything else. I'd welcome any similar evidence/experiences from others on this thread to support my case. I also have an independent mechanic who has already replaced six engines on this model (Imports); so he's prepared to write a comprehensive report as 'expert evidence' .
Hi Pete,

how did you get on with your civil action go? Im
in exactly the same boat with a blown head. Purchased second hand with a great service record. Lasted all of 2 months with my ownership. Not happy to say the least. Going to cost more to repair it than what I paid for it

Old 02-09-2023, 06:55 PM

Hi there, Interested to know how you or Pete got on with Mazda NZ?
similar issue which I've posted about further down this thread thankyou

Old 02-14-2023, 02:39 AM

Hi I believe this is actually an Oil cooler issue. An engine oil cooler and a Auto trans cooler are connected to the cooling system. If either fails (generally the engine oil cooler at the top) it pressurises the cooling system with either engine or auto trans oIfil pressure with either and pushes out the coolant. If you catch the problem early enough you can check by eliminating both coolers from the coolant circuit separately to test my diagnosis. If the coolant pressure disappears instantly the one of the coolers has failed If the problem is not diagnosed early then a blown head gasket results and it is only after head gasket replacement when the mechanic finds the coolant system still pressurizing that the culprit is finally found. If you have an oily residue in your coolant system and are constantly filling it before the engine gets hot then it is odds on the engine oil cooler has failed......

Old 04-25-2023, 02:54 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Go Bowra
Hi I believe this is actually an Oil cooler issue. An engine oil cooler and a Auto trans cooler are connected to the cooling system. If either fails (generally the engine oil cooler at the top) it pressurises the cooling system with either engine or auto trans oIfil pressure with either and pushes out the coolant. If you catch the problem early enough you can check by eliminating both coolers from the coolant circuit separately to test my diagnosis. If the coolant pressure disappears instantly the one of the coolers has failed If the problem is not diagnosed early then a blown head gasket results and it is only after head gasket replacement when the mechanic finds the coolant system still pressurizing that the culprit is finally found. If you have an oily residue in your coolant system and are constantly filling it before the engine gets hot then it is odds on the engine oil cooler has failed......
Are theere OBD2 PIDs to check these parameters? I have a 2016 CX-5 AWD shipping from Japan with 160,000 kms on the odo. I want to be fully armed with info just in case anything goes awry while I am using the vehicle. I also tend to think that there's something else that causes the head gasket to blow

Old 07-18-2023, 09:18 PM

Hi Pete

Did you manage to get anything done in regards to your CX-5? We have the same issue with the head gasket on our 2012 CX-5, and don't even know where to start. It would be great to have the support of others with the same issue, and be able to go to Mazda NZ with proof, and perhaps take it to Fair Go if they don't want anything to do with it.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:21 PM

Hi Tina

Did you manage to get anything done with your CX-5? I would love to gain the support of a group of others in the same boat. I'm in Upper Hutt.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:39 AM
Default Any update

Originally Posted by LordBazinga
Hi Tina

Did you manage to get anything done with your CX-5? I would love to gain the support of a group of others in the same boat. I'm in Upper Hutt.
many updates? Same issues here

Old 09-10-2023, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dissapointed
many updates? Same issues here
Well your new member user name says it all!

I still wonder why some people take the time to join a forum just to post negative responses about MAZDA or in this case a negative user name.