Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

R&R front light bulbs??

Old 02-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Default R&R front light bulbs??

I have mastered the fine art of replacing the headlight bulbs on my V6 6 5spd. It is not easy, and you have to be pretty adept at working strong tiny spring clips that you cannot see w/ bare fingers But once you "get it" it can be done. Note: the air filter box on driver's side comes out easily enough (loosen the hose clamp on the intake, and the wire connectors, and pull -- it comes right up), and that extra room aft makes the job much easier, although not absolutely required. As to the other lights (turn signal and running/parking lights) I have no real clue, especially on the rt side. I'm guessing you can R&R the windshield washer tank, and that would help a lot, but not sure that is an easy job. Have not given it a proper go yet, electing to ask here first. I have seen some posts about taking off the bumper !!!, and holy sh** Batman, are you serious? For the stinking bulbs? Anyway, someone here has certainly tackled this from a sane point of view. Or I hope so. Any pointers for how to do this w/out dismantling the front of the car, on either/both sides, will be much appreciated.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Yikes. My front left headlight started going out today. Do they usually come on and off as they're failing?

how much should i pay someone to replace the front light bulbs?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM

Are you sure abaut that , Frazerk1? In the cars we have there are retainer clips for the headlight assy. You pull the clips and then the headlight drops forward.

....but then I don't have a 6.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:11 AM

I think the various Mazda cars are each very different in how this is done. On the other hand, if there is just a clip or sonething that lets the ***'y come out on a MAZDA6 and then you deal with the bulbs, cool!. Just need to be shown/told how to do that. It is not at all obvious, if so, and absent any instructions, what to do? That is the reason for this post, to hope there is someone out there in cyberspace who knows the secret, and will share it.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Old 02-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Yes, that is the technique for mainbeams. Noodeled that out for myself, and there is not much room, but it can be done. The mirror is a good way to get your bearings. So now, how about the parking/running lights? They are in a different holder, rather long, and how to get to that one and pull it out, esp'y on passenger side, is a trick I have not yet solved. Taking out the washer tank and such may be the answer.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 PM

ok, my drivers side lowbeam was out. i went, bumped the light with my hand and it turned back on. what do you think, is it going out or is something loose?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Smile

OK, I am humbled. I spent the evening at a TEch Session hosted by local Mazda club at a major dealer in town. Very cool idea, with a few mechanics from the dealership on hand to help in any way possible. $10 lift charge. Wooo-hoo. Anyway, long story short, I asked the guy about the little parking light on passenger side, and he opened the hood, snapped off the light compartment cover, reached in and pulled out the light in its socket/holder, all in about 20 sec. It is a friction fit (just pull out, push in, no clips or hidden push-down thingies) for this little running light that sits up and over to one side of the head light bulb. Went to the parts Dept there, and they gave me two bulbs, as in "Here, take them." For the record, I put the bulb back in and buttoned everything up -- took me a little more than 20 sec, but not very much. The mechanic did agree that if you take the air filter holder loose on driver's side, it is easier to work/see/do. So there it is ladies and germs. Not that big a mystery. As w/ most things, it does help if you've done it a couple hundred times.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 AM

The newer Mazda headlights are not as easy to access and change lamps. My 2011 6 requires removing the front bumper to change the headlight lamps. Just crazy.