Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Replacing Light Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Default Replacing Light Bulbs

Um, I found it a bit complicating to replace the halogen bulbs for some colored ones. I have an '07 model, can someone please provide me with the steps on how to do so?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Default RE: Replacing Light Bulbs

Ok lol i I Just did this last night. so im going to do my best to help you.the turn signal bulbs are the easiest part, and can be removed w/o taking theheadlightsout and bumper off,granted that they dont get stuck likemine did.YouMUST remove the front bumper to get the headlights out.
First you have to take the clips out of the inner wheele splash shield, then once you can peel the shield back, remove the screw thats right where the bumper meets the fender on the wheele well.

Once you get the screw out, gently pull the bumper away from the fender alittle. go under the bumper and remove the 10MM and 8MM screws/bolts along the bottom. all of them, but do not remove the rivits holding the lower blackair dam on, it will come off with the bumper.

Next remove the 2 screws and 2 clips holding the grille on, but you dont have to take the grill out if you dont want to. by the time you have done this on both sides, the bumper will be free remove from the car. Make sure you unplug any fog lights and the 2 front lights on the bumper before you remove it tho.

Now that you have the bumper off and out of the way, look at the black plastic headlight retainer (its right under the headlight housing) holding the light inplace along with thetwo 10MM bolts and the clip directly next to the fender side bolt. remove the bolts in the top of the lightand bottom where the black retainer is (there are a few bolts holding the retainer on as well...remove them. you will have to unbolt the Whitebracket thats below the fender. there is a black and silver bolt. remove them both. this will allow you to gently pull the fender out and slide the retainer stud past the fender bracket you will see what i mean once your looking at it.

Once all the bolts/clips are out remove the already loose headlight, and disconnect the harnass from the light housing. be carefull NOT to break it. there is a botton on it push it in with a small flathead screwdriver, or your finger nail..dont use a pick, its too sharp and may damage it.

Now that the light is out, remove the caps on the back of the light and there are all your bulbs. the main headlight is by itself, to access that, turn the cap untill its lined up to open then remove it and you will see the bulb.

Re installing is the complete opposite of the removal. Make sure you checkevery light to see if they work Before you put it all back together.also i would mark all your hardware so you know where it goes. good luck, and i hope this helps..any questions, feel free to ask or PM me anytime.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 AM

Its like cosmolision repair just to replace a bulb.. wow.. lol

Old 07-25-2007, 05:28 PM

yeah pretty much...i see it allll day at thebody shop i work for. some cars require more work then that to get the lights out or and change a bulb...its insane.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Wow...all this for a light bulb!? Crazy! Well, thank you much for the feedback, I now have to print this page and follow you instructions by the detail.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 PM

your welcome, yeah the only ones you can change w/o removing the headlights are the turnsignals. they are easy to get out but if you put them back in wrong and they dont seat right, they are a paint to get back out..this is why i had to take my lights out.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 PM

actually you cae do it with OUT removing the bumper. I have replaced Headlights, foglights, Turn signal and PArking lights in my Girlfriends 03 Mazda 6.

Here is how.
Fog. turn, and parking

Open the hood.
On the back of the headlight assembly there is an oval shaped cover. Push the release tab down (towards the ground) and while pushing it down. push the cover towards the back of the car (towards the windshield).. The cover will pop off.

Unlatch the bulb holder (thin piece of wire that latches around a hook to hold the bulb in.

Remove bulb. replace.

HEADLIGH.

open hood.
locate the ROUND cover on the back of the headlight assembly, behind the headlight.
Twist off cover. (it will be tricky and tight)
Unlatch the latch (litte piece of wire that is latched behind a hook putting pressure on the back of the light bulb)
remove bulb. unplug.

IMPORTANT. I work at an electronics shop and do this type of stuff all day. It takes me about 1/2 hour from start to finish to change all the bulbs.
It is NOT easy, and your hands will get wedged into a tight place (recommend removing watches and rings)..

The Round Covers are a bitch. they come off waaay easier than they go on, for that they only go on one way, and you have to line up the tabs before you push the cover back into the assembly, then twist back into the locking position.

The drivers side light will take you at least twice as long as the passenger side for hte air box is in the way.. DO THE PASSENGER SIDE FIRST to somewhat familiarizr yourself with how to do it.

I have NEVER removed the bumper to swap lights, and since my Girl want brigher lights, and insisnt on having both fog and headlights on at the same time, all the time.. she goes through every bulb on the face of the earth in about 3 months. Either one side or the other needs a replacement every three months. I am guessing the dual bulb with tinted lights is simply causing more heat inside the sealed assembly, and hte bubls are passing their heat max before the burn out. There is no trace of melting anywhere, so its something to do with the type of bulbs. even tho Ive put silverstar, phillips, liteglow, seltek, farenheight, and GE bulbs in there.. the only ones that work with out issue are the factory.

Im actually on this forum to find out how to take the bumper off, for I am going to trya set of HID's in there, and well if you know HID and the 6 assembly, you know I have to take out the assembly, and re-route the factory wire harness to the HID ballast, then route the output of the ballast back into the light assembly. YA totally gonna suk, but Im sic of chanign lights (and cuttin up my hands) all the time

Good luck..

P.S. DONT touch the glass of the light bulb when putting the new ones in, it will cause them to burnout faster, I use latex, non powdered gloves (like dental or medical) when putting the bulbs in.

Also note.. TRY NOT to drop the covers, especially the round ones, into the engine compartment, if you dont have a set of mechanical fingers it will be nearly impossible for you to get the cover out without removing the entire assembly.

Good luck

Wolfz23

Old 07-27-2007, 05:33 PM

hmm i guess your hands fit..mine didnt. we always take them off at work. its actually easier the cutting up your hands trying to squeese them into the tight spaces..

Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Oh6sixXx

hmm i guess your hands fit..mine didnt. we always take them off at work. its actually easier the cutting up your hands trying to squeese them into the tight spaces..
X2..
I have kinda small hands and find it kinda hard and annoying to sliver my hands around the compartment. I guess removing the bumper has less chance of hurting yourself or breaking somethin.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM

yeah i hear ya, but hey if it works it works ya know