Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Google Maps voice to work from Samsung android phone

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:28 AM
Default Getting Google Maps voice to work from Samsung android phone

I've had a lot of trouble getting the voice to play through the system when using Google Maps. Even though Pandora plays from my phone and Maps works while Pandora is playing, the voice usually doesn't. Yesterday I found that when I plugged the phone into the cigarette lighter charger in the console, the voice came through again. Am wondering if there are other android users who have found a best way to use Google Maps with voice. I'd like to understand why it works with certain connections and not others. I do have Bluetooth on despite it being plugged into the cigarette lighter (12V?). Also Samsung Connect won't allow Mazda Connect to make the connection - it insists on doing it though Google Maps is the only program I've had trouble with and until yesterday I thought it was a Maps problem.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Default Android phone Google Maps issue with Mazda 3

I am having the same problem with my 2017 Mazda 3. I have a Moto G4 android 7 phone connected via bluetooth. I can make calls, review text messages, play music - everything but hear the audio from Google Maps. It neither comes through the console nor is heard on the phone. Maps works fine on the phone when not in the car. I have tried everything. Hoping someone has an answer.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Guess we will have to wait for the long promised Android Auto update. Anything new about this????

Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by jbpk
Guess we will have to wait for the long promised Android Auto update. Anything new about this????
Yes, waiting, waiting, waiting for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. C'mon Mazda!!!

Old 03-12-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by nightbird7
I've had a lot of trouble getting the voice to play through the system when using Google Maps. Even though Pandora plays from my phone and Maps works while Pandora is playing, the voice usually doesn't. Yesterday I found that when I plugged the phone into the cigarette lighter charger in the console, the voice came through again. Am wondering if there are other android users who have found a best way to use Google Maps with voice. I'd like to understand why it works with certain connections and not others. I do have Bluetooth on despite it being plugged into the cigarette lighter (12V?). Also Samsung Connect won't allow Mazda Connect to make the connection - it insists on doing it though Google Maps is the only program I've had trouble with and until yesterday I thought it was a Maps problem.
I have a 2018 CX 5 paired with a MOTO G5 plus and have no issues with Google maps voice playing through the speakers however the Text message feature is not compatible with my phone.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:16 PM

I've had no problems with Google Maps on my (former) 2016 Mazda3 Touring paired through Bluetooth with my LG K7 Android phone. One thing I did find at first was that the phone has separate volume control settings for the phone and the apps. I usually have the phone volume on for phone calls and the alarm clock, but have the volume off (muted) for apps like YouTube. So when I set up Maps in the car I check and find that I do have to turn on (unmute) the volume on Maps for it to be heard in the car speaker system.

Stuart

Old 04-13-2018, 12:25 AM
Default Got it to work!

Today I tried again to get the voice from Google maps. There are posts online about this and similar issues with suggestions. First be sure your settings in Google maps are right. Swipe in from the left after you open Google maps and go down to Navigation settings. Be sure Play voice during phone calls is On and Driving notifications is On. Try the Play test sound to see if it comes through your speakers. If not, what worked for me was to put the car Audio Sources on Bluetooth (where it shows your phone name). Even though my phone was plugged in the USB port and later the cigarette lighter, it was having both the phone Bluetooth on and the Audio Sources in Bluetooth that kept the Google voice coming through the speakers reliably. I also found I could play Pandora and the Google maps directions would interrupt as expected and then the music would come back on. So it's not enough to have your phone Bluetooth on and the phone plugged into USB. You have to have the Audio Sources down on Bluetooth as well. I don't think you need your phone plugged in at all for it to work but I try to keep mine charging some while driving. I do hope this helps you if you've been suffering with silence from Google maps!